I miss the old warcraft lore

Don’t you agree? I remember I was fascinated for warcraft 3 lore. It felt amazing since it was like lord of the rings but with more races and magic… I remember when I was playing the warcraft 3 campaign when the burning legion and the undead were like an unstoppable evil force.

Then I started to play World of warcraft back in 2004 and I was excited exploring the worlds that I used to know in warcraft 3 campaigns, oh boy it felt amazing.

In my opinion the lore started to degrade when MOP was launched because Blizzard started to set the cosmic stuff as a “normal” thing… from there the lore started to get worse in each expansion.

Now the lore has been butchered in shadowlands, it looks like an alien war from different worlds without any sense… I am so disapointed that the writters showed the afterlife like a bunch of “human-like” aliens fighting each other.

Sometimes I pretend to think that wow ended in WOTLK and everything else is just a filler

56 Likes

Curse of flesh from machine vrykul, machine gnomes, machine dwarves. Then we find out everyone is based of machines the first ones made?

4 Likes

Man it feels like fairytale for childrens

1 Like

We talk about this in Discord all the time. WoW used to be really, really good DnD-style gameplay, and writing.

They tried to make things too grandiose and epic, so now instead of fighting The Skeleton King I’m fighting some Mr. Clean looking gatekeeper to Hell. Feels like more of a Sci-Fi than a fantasy game. I hate it.

I don’t want to be some standout ‘savior,’ I want to be a member of a dungeon or raid party, or a soldier of the Horde in PVP. I want to take out haunted mansions, pirate cave hideouts, etc. I want gear sets to reflect the content I do, and give me a form of identity for who my character is and has achieved instead of everything being a recolor.

I want expansive and captivating, but normal zones that I can navigate without having to take FPs through a central hub. I want factions to have a political climate, and there be incentives to participate in world pvp. I want them to get rid of warmode and just return to PVP/PVE servers.

This game used to be the total package.

39 Likes

Imagine whining about this now when literal spaceships with russian goats from an uncorrupted race sharing the same history as the demons crashing into a random island.

And that happened 15 years ago.

9 Likes

Man you catched my feelings.

2 Likes

I disagree. The lore is MoP was still relatively grounded. The Sha being manifestations of an old gold fit into previous xpacks portrayals of them. Lei shen was a well written antagonist with a fleshed out backstory and goal. Pandas were terrible though to be sure.

Wod is when the story went down hill. Time travel is always messy. The story was terribly written and then abandoned halfway through because the xpack was so bad it lost half its player base in 6 months. Ever since then they keep trying to up the ante.

14 Likes

Honestly I did not like it. They just copied the chinesse culture, mix it with some random pandas and paste it on the MOP expansion. Zero creativity Imho

6 Likes

Pandas are so bad their representatives on the alliance and horde have been forgotten by the writers since their introduction lol. If pandas weren’t in mop that expansion would have so much better received.

2 Likes

Pandas and that whole expansion of a$$ pulled lore looks like a work of art compared to the undefinable cosmic crap where the big bad is one upped next xpac by a bigger badder and so on.

1 Like

Never forget, tons of people had complaints with the shoddy lore in Wrath. Arthas literally is killed by an Ex Machina… :roll_eyes:

Also, TBC was when Blizzard decided game mechanics was more important than lore and retconned tons of crap just so they didn’t have to balance the factions again. The term “lol lore” comes from TBC era FYI.

Yes, Warcraft is past it’s glory days but I think we loved it so much back then because we were young. I recently played WC3 again in Reforged and was underwhelmed with the story telling when I originally thought it was fantastic.

Some of Warcraft’s most iconic and best moments IMO come in Cata, also despite the cringe worthy War Mission in BFA, the Kul’Tiran campaign with Jaina’s redemption is some of the best stuff WoW has done for the franchise. To each their own.

7 Likes

That was happening a LONG time ago. The Legion and the Old Gods were already cosmic threats. The only difference we finally understood what the Legion/Old Gods actually wanted by Pandaria/had hints of it.

While I agree we need some de escalation in power levels of our enemies, both Scourge and Legion threat had to end sooner or later! I actually want to see an ending to Warcraft someday.

I find it interesting, your mileage may vary but origin story were living creatures were “forged” is a part of humanity’s culture(we have greek, malay, meazo american myths about humans being made from something else before turning into humans).

As oppose to them copying medieval aesthetics and calling it a day? Most Warcraft races are copies of other cultures! And MoP was probably one of the more creatives ones especially considering they added plenty of their own lore(quick example, did you know the pandarens gave Aszhara of all people a box with all the magic she needed? I’ll let you guess what that box contained)

1 Like

No. It was impressively vast but never that compelling.

1 Like

Do yourself a favor next time you’re feeling all nostalgic about something. Go back and really look at that thing. The lore for WoW is fine for a video game, but quit fooling yourself thinking there was some golden age where it was so much better than what it is now. It was a mishmash of real world mythologies that are sometimes lifted wholesale or barely changed, blended together and repurposed for the game world. If you have a problem with the current cosmic stuff but didn’t mind all the weird stuff in tbc, you should ask yourself why.

3 Likes

What do you think the other races in wow are based on? They’re typically shallow stereotypes.

1 Like

It’s coincidence I came across this thread after finding a pic I took with Metzen at Blizzcon years ago. I agree with you that I am kinda detached from the lore after WotLK ended. I play now in a way to continue writing my mage’s own personal story in the WoW universe if I had to invest in one if that makes sense.

1 Like

Back in TBC they decided that rudimentary steam technology wasn’t good enough, and started giving us spaceships, lasers, and all sorts of other stuff. Even at the time it just felt like the WoW developers wished they were working on Starcraft instead. Honestly, in WotLK when fighting Mimiron, I felt so taken out of the world. Fighting a robot who was riding around in another robot, while firing death lasers and nukes at us while we poked it with sticks was just… dumb.

2 Likes

. . . . How can you say that? Sharp sticks and big rocks are the pinnacle of modern warfare.

1 Like

Warcraft III’s Lore has been Butchered since the Burning Crusade.
I am not moved by the presence of supernatural creatures in WoW.

2 Likes

My plan was to have my Alliance characters’ adventure end after defeating the Legion but I can’t stand what an immersion-breaking, annoying mess that expansion is so I am not sure what I am going to do and am just collecting patterns and mog in the meantime.

It’s enjoyable but I miss story.

1 Like