I miss some of the old Frost spec spell animations and sounds!

Does anyone else miss the old Frostbolt spell animation and sound?

I miss when Frostbolt felt like you were casting a chunk (or literally bolt) of ice and it had more of a punchy snowy sound. The new Frostbolt spell animation doesn’t really feel like a “bolt” to me. I feels like a larger version of an Ice Lance. The spell used to literally look like the Frostbolt spell icon. Now it kind of just has a super sharp ice shattering sound too which feels super similar to Ice Lance once again.

Flurry is a great spell, but I also really miss Frostfire bolt too! LOL. Though I really love Flurry as well. I like how with Frostfire bolt you still had a spell you could cast when your Frost school was locked.

I also miss the older style of Blizzard (the AoE spell) a lot. I feel like the new animation is less of a “Blizzard” and more of “Raining sharp icicles from the sky” kind of thing…

I feel all in all like our spells feel super sharp and icy rather than frosty (with a bit of sharpness with Ice Lance in there) like they used to. The animations feel more akin to a Frost Death Knight than a Mage in my humble opinion.

Just some thoughts from a Mage main that’s been playing a lot of Classic Wrath lately!

EDIT:
As an aside, please give us a glyph for Arcane Mage that gives us back the old style of Arcane Missiles! I miss those soooo much.

The new style is very pretty too but I loved the geometrical 4 arcing missiles style.

More cosmetic spell altering glyphs is never a bad thing! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think the one thing that was jarring was when they removed frost fire bolt for flurry. Frost fire always felt so good to use, flurry feels kinda bad to use because it hits 3 times and you dont really feel the chunk like you did with frost fire. Also frost fire looks 1000000x better visually

6 Likes

Totally feel you, after playing wrath I knew something felt off in shadowlands. All the spells now lack punch in shadowlands that you describe. I felt this especially on my arms warrior as well, MS just doesn’t feel the same as it used to. Just feels like every other damage button.

4 Likes

100% this. Frostfire was my jam. It felt like chucking something that was really worth it.

1 Like

You would have support from every warlock in the game.

1 Like

True. I missed when Frostbolt would hit hard on a critical strike. All of our critical damage moving to Ice Lance and Flurry feels bad when we don’t get procs. I also loved Frostfire Bolt as our Brain Freeze proc.

2 Likes

100% agree!!! I personally really love the Glacial Spike spell. But as it is in the beta right now, it feels like just spamming Ice Lance does more damage than anything else, thus making Glacial Spike a choice that will be ignored, once again…

Frost Mage damage needs to be redistributed a little bit out of Ice Lance spam into Frostbolt a little bit more again, and then Glacial Spike needs a major damage buff.

They should just redesign the blizzard graphic and sound altogether. Frost barrier needs a graphics update as well. There should be a frostbolt glyph for the old frostbolt sound and graphic.

1 Like