I Miss Smaller Faction Wars

I miss the time of the League of Arathor vs. The Defilers, rather than BIG HORDE ARMY AND GIANT ALLIANCE ARMY as it is right now in the Arathi Highlands.

I hope in the future when this faction war is done with, we can go back to finding smaller factions that scrap with each other. I liked the disjointed feel of early WoW where neither faction felt like a true, world-encompassing superpower.

24 Likes

I can definitely agree with this, and this is what I hope the faction wars return to eventually. It would be nice for specific races to fight among themselves without dragging the entirety of the Alliance and Horde into a global conflict.

4 Likes

I guess that’s okay. I liked the Tol’Barad thing and the warfronts have a similar vibe

Territorial disputes between specific races is fine, but the “Faction Conflict” needs to friggen die already. It has weak roots (dating back like 15 years max, beyond the Orc/Human conflict); never functioned very well as anything more than a B or C-plot; people ALWAYS get mad whenever it actually results in any tangible consequences; and there is this annoying expectation by many that things be kept “even”.

Long story short, the Alliance/Horde conflict really only exists as a way to justify PvP on a story-level; which is why when you start pulling on threads that instigate it (like the Alliance’s “betrayal” of the Forsaken) you’ll find most of the motives pushing towards it are pretty conceptually weak (I mean, for goodness sake, 6 of the core races still don’t even really have reasons beyond their faction to be super invested in the Faction conflict…)

End it Blizz, be done with it.

11 Likes

The reason there were smaller disputes like those you mentioned was because the Alliance and the Horde were not at OPEN war with each other. Those skirmishes were made so PvP could be a thing.

Big Horde army vs Big Alliance army is happening because the Horde started the war with the Burning of Teldrassil.

1 Like

This expansion shouldn’t even have been a faction war, we should have focused specifically on the cold conflict that’s been going on between Sylvanas and Greymane since Cataclysm, and then have that lead up to the ACTUAL faction war.

Of course, just in case i havent been clear enough with this, WITHOUT SYLVANAS AS WARCHIEF.

1 Like

I disagree. Even at the end of Warcraft 3 I could already see the troubles brewing between the factions. A large scale war was inevitable between them.

Many wars have “petty” roots. That is part and parcel of it. I always saw the battlegrounds are the “calm before the storm”. I expected they would end up finally sparking the global conflicts that is currently raging. In Warsong Gulch case, it was basically the start of it.

After War of Thornes and Teldrassil?
Nah.

Keep this crap going.

Fixed that for you.

10 Likes

I liked the smaller faction wars as well.

However I also love the idea of a massive, true faction war like in the Warcraft 1-3 games, I just want it to make sense. I want there to be reasoning on both sides. Not just something this ham-fisted.

At this rate they could at least put Sylvanas as having failed to get into the Silvermoon Art School as a kid. At least that would make more sense.

2 Likes

“Trouble between factions” doesn’t always need to lead up to all out war. There’s this thing called the Cold War in our modern history. Look it up.

4 Likes

The cold war also had mutually assured destruction. In most of human history relatively petty things have caused bloodly wars.

1 Like

Im thinking Vol’jin still gets ganked by a trash mob in legion, BUT he becomes danny phantom, like, almost immediatly after dying instead of an expac later.

Everyone shrugs, happy to not have sylvanas bananas in charge

Sure, we’re at the point of Warcraft where super catapults can cause the same destructive effect as a nuclear bomb. Not to mention we do have in-universe nuclear bombs.

And even if that weren’t the case your statement still doesn’t add up. “Trouble brewing between nations” != all out war.

3 Likes

Except this game is called WARcraft. Constant warfare is the name of the game. Literally!

And? What sort of argument is invoking the title of the game?

Fun Fact, the Elder Scrolls aren’t literally based around the Elder Scrolls. StarCraft has barely anything to do with stars. Guild Wars 2 has nothing to do with guilds in its plot. The Legend of Zelda rarely focuses on Zelda.

Edit: Fun Fact #2, “war” doesn’t mean “faction war”. Every xpac in WoW has had a war/military conflict of some sort, including the base game. WotLK encompassed just as much “war” if not more than BfA does atm.

7 Likes

Elder scrolls is an important facet of the lore of those games, starcraft refers to space travel, Zelda is nearly always important to the plot. Names of video games do have significance.

The devs have said repeatedly the faction conflict is one of the core roots of WoW. Also, even back in Vanilla people want the “war back in warcraft” full scale faction conflicts were inevitable.

Actually even the burning of Tedrassil is mot equivalent to a nuke. Certainly devastating and worthy of being call genocide but considering many people managed to escape, it means it is inferior to a nuke and can be prevented.

Space travel != Stars, are we crafting stars in StarCraft? No we’re not.

The Elder Scrolls are a background thread/narrative element that has nothing to do with the plots of the mainline games.

Zelda serves the same purpose as above, a background character tying the franchise together. Hell, Oracle of Ages/Time didn’t even have Zelda in it, let alone Majora’s Mask.

You’re being needlessly pendantic here. Need I list out more games with titles having bare effect on plotlines? What’s BioShock in BioShock? You haven’t reference Guild Wars 2 so, go you. Dragon Age doesn’t center on dragons.

Then the devs are wrong because base WoW and WoW as it is currently still pulls from its foundation of WC3. WC3 wasn’t about faction war. Warcraft is centered on war, Warcraft is not centered on faction war.

You know what titles of video games, books, movies, etc. generally do? They invoke a certain theme/character/etc. of what the medium is going to tell. They’re not required to spell out the entire plot the game for you.

8 Likes

please yes do that, it feels so much better then what we got atm. Writing for PvP in a mostly PvE game is so god damn terrible that it ruins the plot for people who don’t have irrational hatreds for the other side.

2 Likes

Can someone explain to me this need to “write for PvP” ? If it is for battlegrounds I don’t see the need to explain it since it is like doing old dungeons. I can understand if it is for world PvP, but even then since it is an option now I don’t see the need to have a canon reason to fight the others.