I miss real dad guilds

I’m in an ultra casual Dad guild. We’re great friends, and trend a bit older (30-74). The closest we’ve gotten to Naxx is passing under it on our way to strat.

Guilds out there range from absolute slackers to hardcore. I’m sure you can still find one that trends casual. Best of luck to you.

3 Likes

daddy’s gotta bring home the epix.

Everything you’re saying makes sense. Also, let’s be honest, these types of games weren’t really made to be casual (by today’s standards) at endgame.

That’s probably true actually. I wonder to what extent the evolution of WoW through the expansions itself is responsible for the current meta/sweat we see from players in Classic. On the other hand people have been theory crafting this stuff on private servers for over a decade so we shouldn’t be surprised that they’ve figured out every possible way to milk the most out of the game…fun be damned.

1 Like

I think you need to look harder. My alt is in a guild where ZG is considered progression.

That quote about players optimizing the fun out of the game certainly applies.

1 Like

Get into pugs you are at least somewhat familiar with the people in. There’s a few MC/AQ40 pugs on my server with roughly the same group of people every week and its been a blast.

I think that was much more common in vanilla. With the constant increase in players new guilds were always forming. Alts of 60 mains were playing with people just starting out. Lot’s of people had their main in one guild and alts in other guilds doing earlier raids

Dad guilds realized that by putting in atleast a minimal effort with consumes and world buffs, wiping for 4 hours in naxx twice a week can be avoided. Turns out dad gamers have less time to play, and in turn actually do need to be more efficient.

Also, for the op. Dad guilds like i said have less time, they’ve cleared mc and bwl for a year, and AQ for 6 months. Might as well spend the little bit of time you can raid doing relevant content to your character. Seems normal.

2 Likes

I think people have definitions of Dad guild. My guild could be described easily as a Dad guild. People have their families and that’s a lot of the conversation.

I think he’s wanting more of a start-up type of guild that is super casual but I may be wrong.

That crap is nonsense.

Optimizing is the fun to some people.

2 Likes

Exactly. My mains guild was a pretty traditional dad guild up until recently when they merged with another guild and now Naxx spots are reserved for the more hardcore. What I’d like to do is just join a guild of alts and such that people don’t plan to raid Naxx with, but still want to gear up to that point. It seems like almost everyone on my server keeps their alts in their normal guild and then just runs SR’s and GDKP’s.

I think my favorite time was shortly after AQ40. I hit 60 on my third at that point, which was actually my first character on this server, and I was able to get into BWL and AQ40 every week and it was loads of fun. Naxx really killed my enjoyment of progression raiding.

A lot of the super casual guilds fell apart half way into AQ - as is tradition.

Naxx wasn’t ever built to be raided by casual no consume guilds. It was built around the use of consumes and addons and was the blueprint for going forward with later encounters

1 Like

I think you’d feel right at home in my guild. We’re far from high-tier raiders, but we still have fun and don’t enforce WBs, parses, consumables, or anything like that. Game is fun!

What makes a “dad guild” exactly? If it’s synonymous with “casual” its kinda backwards since most casuals are raiding way more a week than than I am at this point. We ask for full consumes and buffs… but we clear Bwl/AQ and Naxx in less time than most guilds spend in Naxx alone, often without even clearing it entirely.

Which is kind of the problem with the OP’s mentality. You don’t have to run Naxx, in fact there are plenty of raids going for MC up every evening. But if you do want to clear it… you’re either going to have to step up your standards a little or accept that if you ever do clear it, its only going to be after spending way more hours grinding it than any of the “hardcore” players… which is usually the point where people start to rethink their priorities.

1 Like

God yes, I spent way too long trying to coach 3 guilds into doing the bare minimum for raiding and spent far more time and gold wiping to bosses with A mechanic. Now I raid 1 day a week and save countless consumables and can then do fun stuff with the guild or have a life outside whenever I want.

Casual raiding guilds are such a headache, now super speedrunning hardcore guilds are a different headache but there is an ocean of middle between those

2 Likes

Yea exactly. Everyone acts like theres no median between “buffs/consumes are lol” and guilds that will drop a person if they die once. When the reality is… that’s where most guilds exist.

2 Likes

Exactly this

I suspect you were never going to enjoy progression raiding but you’re just now realizing it because Naxx is the only raid in classic where it was a thing…

1 Like

Usually these guilds do GDKPs for AQ40/BWL/MC to cover costs for Naxx. At least that is how it is on my server.

It’s kind of a good system because you can amass enough gold to buy something in a Naxx GDKP which is usually split up wings over different nights.

This is probably what happened. A lot of dad guilds got to AQ40 and hit a bit of a wall. Then you have a rift form between players who want to get more serious and players who want to stay causal. This rift eventually fractures the guild.

This said, I feel like the population of the game dropped off quite a bit during phase 5. I wonder how many people who quit were people who didn’t want to be “forced” into hardcore play.