I like the Void Elves but I think they need more development

We’ll get it in the Void expansion.

3 Likes

I hate hate HATE the purple and gold combination. At least make it purple and silver and match the shoulder effect with the belt/knee pad color scheme. And what’s with the exposed mid-riff as well. They’re on an asteroid rock, it’s probably freezing but they acting like they’re heading out for an afternoon at the beach.

4 Likes
  1. Their lore is the exact same as the Blood elves. That’s the point.

~

1. The fact you mention blood mages, hawkstriders and spell breakers, a blood Elven theme, to be made for them, shows you understand that at some level.

~

1. They don’t get a capital or otherwise because they are by definition a renegade group of elves that didn’t care about safety or rules and wanted to experiment anyway. Now they’re edgy.

~

1. They already have more customisation options than the majority, if not all, of the other allied races. Your point here of complaining for lack of is mute.

~

1. Anything you mention for void elves from their “culture and past” is blood Elven by definition. Even Thalassian tattoos. You need to think of a new path and concepts, not take blood Elven themes and say “but void elf!”.
13 Likes

This.

1000000% this. Cannot stress THIS enough. You’ve hit the nail on the head. This is single-handedly the BIGGEST problem with the Void Elves. Even more problematic is that their past as Blood Elves is virtually non-existent and unexplored, BECAUSE Blizzard pulled them out of thin air as compensation for the Horde getting Nightborne.

There should be a path forward where we’re still seeing them as Elves, but more uniquely their own group. Tell us that time moves more slowly in the Rift or something, and then show us some real changes. Maybe 10,000 years have passed in the Rift since the Void Elves joined the Alliance. Whatever it takes to make this an over-night change to show us that they’re now a proper RACE with their own culture.

It should still be possible to see that the foundations of this new culture are rooted in Thalassian cornerstones, but they should still deviate greatly otherwise.

The Void Elven version of the Magistry exists, except its not the Magistry, it doesn’t have Magisters, and it’s not just focused on magic, but collective knowledge. Rather than tomes, show us memories and visions stored within some vast well, with it’s keepers able to manifest these visions at a whim. Let there be groups whom dedicate themselves to unraveling the mysteries of visions, of sorting through the half-truths to find value, and let the value they find not always be obvious, but always be fruitful in the end.

The Void Elven version of the Farstriders exists, except they’re not just a bunch of hooded archers hiding in the woods. They wear blank masks obscuring their faces completely, wielding twin blades and stepping through the shadows to find their marks, having the power to defy gravity, taking a single step and then standing on ceilings as if that’s the ground, or even walls. Their base is a twisting maze where this technique is the only way to navigate it.

The Void Elven version of the Spellbreakers exists, except they’re not Spellbreakers at all. These armored men and women wield the void to consume the assaults of their foes, redirecting that power as void magic at their would be attackers. They regularly hunt beings of the Void to hone their arts and discover new techniques and powers. Like, their actual gimmick is, “I ate a Fireball spell cast at me. Now I can cast Voidfireball. Well, at least once. I’ll need to eat another before I can cast it again.” They often use this power to show new spell concepts to the not-Magisters, whom in turn can study and attempt to replicate them into new powers for Ren’dorei society.

We should absolute see where these orders came from, but still let them be so unique and different from what we see with the Blood Elves that it truly feels like a new culture has been created.

5 Likes

Considering we have had several story beats about the void with zero ren’dorei representation I’m just assuming the void elf race is the dumping ground for any cosmetic elf themed offshoot.

I just want to change my entropic embrace to look like Alleria as a consolation at the very least.

4 Likes

I’m about to leave for a thing today but, Obligatory link to my customization thread. >.>

I’mma come back and comment when I get home tonight though! I got thoughts!

7 Likes

The heritage armor slaps and their racials are amazing and fun.

Lots of races need attention before VE on these grounds.

However I agree with other things like including them more in stories / giving them more heroes.

3 Likes

Well, this is subjective.

You’re entitled to like the Heritage armor. Speaking for myself, stuff ripped off of a Dreadlord’s corpse and dipped in void koolaid, and Magneto’s Helmet, doesn’t, “slap.” As for their racials, Entropic Embrace is obnoxious and ugly (nothing at all like Alleria’s), and should be customizable. Their movement racial is… not useful. It doesn’t move fast enough to really outpace your run speed by all that much. I’d honestly sooner replace it with a Void Rift racial that allows you to teleport to any major expansion city.

1 Like

The heritage armor should have been purple and gunmetal. Entropic embrace needs at least three toggle options (the one we have, one like Alleria, and one like old void eruption).

As a DK, though, that movement racial has saved my butt more than you’d expect. Being able to precast it before knowing the group is about to move gives me a head start so I don’t fall behind.

1 Like

Gonna have to add a fourth toggle for, “Off.” For the High Elf crowd.

Ideally, I’d like for entropic embrace to also have an optional, “always on,” toggle for the visual effect, and then expanding on customizations for it. Stuff like claw hands, tentacle arms, additional eyeballs on the body (shoulders, hands, chest, etc…), void themed wing effects (maybe some that are kinda like Diablo angle wings but black, some that are just swirling holes like Voidwalkers have, some like Dark Naaru crystalline wings, etc…), that sort of thing. Let players go absolutely crazy with their Void Form and choose to be able to look like it all the time if they wish, and just keep the actual damage buff a random proc every 10 seconds.

3 Likes

My kingdom for an “always on” toggle!!!

3 Likes

What bothers me the most about them (besides the extremely hole-ridden lore) is the fact that, unlike the other Legion races, they haven’t received a decent update. Especially the hairstyles, particularly for the males, are largely very poor and appear unfinished in some cases.
Aside from that, they don’t have anything really appealing about them. No tattoos, no proper jewelry, feathers like Alleria’s or even additional void tattoos, for example…

All in all, they seem to have been slapped together in a very careless manner.

3 Likes

When they were added, they were the only allied race to have no options beyond the five basic categories of: skin color, hair color, hair style, face, and beard/jewelry. Even now, that hasn’t changed. Everyone got eye color as a new basic option. At most, Void Elves got the tentacle toggle, but this didn’t exactly add tentacles to hairstyles without them.

What the Void Elves have received as far as customization goes, amounts to Eredar for the Draenei: another race being made playable through them via customizations. Specifically, High Elves with incomplete options, and Dark Rangers which… don’t make a ton of sense if we’re honest, but it is what it is.

Despite that, you will find players saying they’ve received too much, or…

2 Likes

I love the void elf heritage armor
Its my favourite set in the game. I wear it all the time with a few tweaks

3 Likes

They were fan service for the alliance during a time when alliance numbers were low.

4 Likes

Now this is just silly. Nightborne seem to have more options now than their core race. HMT have a lot of stuff going on, too. Not too sure about Lightforged, since I don’t play them.

Void Elves… not so much. They are very lackluster. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Depends on how one looks at it.

Void Elves have something like… 20 skin colors, 20 hair colors, 20 faces, 12 hair stryles…

Just on a numerical level, they probably do have more than some Allied Races (certainly Mechagnomes I would imagine). As for possible combinations, well, I think they must come in dead-last, given just how few categories for customization they have.

1 Like

Mechas actually have a LOT of customizations.

They just look terrible in nearly all transmog options.

3 Likes

Only the Chestpiece and Helm. Rest of the Armor Pieces is good.

1 Like

Go away! Shoo

1 Like