I like Calia

Nonono, don’t you see… she WANTED to be some sort of special Undead/Light-embalmed creature.

They could have brought her back in another form, but this was the form she chose.

I am sure the Forsaken can really relate to that…

6 Likes

While I’m no Calia hater, I think having her and other Forsaken in the “reclaim Gilneas” scenario is a horrible idea. It makes as much sense as Israel and Palestine stopping their latest war and allying to invade Cyprus.

2 Likes

The idea of light based necromancy is interesting to me, I just don’t see her matching the forsaken aesthetics, I think it will take a while and maybe a war crime or 2 before the forsaken embrace her.
I’m not being serious about the war crime part.

1 Like

Personally, I’m curious how many kinds of necromancy there actually could be… and their difference effects on the bodies and minds of the raised. Might be interesting to see how difference schools of magic go about achieving the same results…

2 Likes

Well, It is inyeresting right, before BFA necromancy was death magic, and death magic was necromancy. But now, we see shadowlands that is entirely built on death magic that death magic can encompass the elements, and take several shapes and form, and then we have that Calia questline where she learns necromancy is just the art of raising the dead, no matter what source of magic.

With that we have seen death based necromancy (Forsaken, Dark rangers, DKs) and we have seen Light based necromancy with Calia.

I want to say we have seen void based Necromancy with YoggSaron and Galakrond, bht that could be the forces of the void using death magic.

Maybe every force of the cosmos can reanimate a dead body.

1 Like

Look, 99% chance we end with her and her daughter(likely leading the Scarlets) having a final showdown.

She is leader of the Forsaken because it was her kingdom. She was always the rightful ruler of Lordearon and if Blizzard will continue this whole “friendship is magic” style storyline her being the “bridge” between the living and undead Lordaeranians might end up being the story hook they will use for her.

1 Like

You know what? I really like her too.

She is a genuinely good character, and liaison between sides.

2 Likes

The moment I can put Calia back in the ground is the moment I’ll be happy with the Forsaken narrative. We don’t need some literal white savior complex Golden stand in to move the story forward.

10 Likes

My forsaken priest, made in vanilla, would be consumed by rage by Calia’s mere presence.

1. Ostensibly as a citizen of Lorderon, i was killed by Arthas and raised as Scourge. So, screw emo Prince Adam.

2. Oh, Terenus is so wise. Maybe he should have used some of that wisdom not to raise an entitled sociopath. And an extra screw you to Uther, runner up as worst teacher ever right after Obi Won.

3. As the alliance have maintained, rights end at death. She has all the same rights to the throne as Teneris-s shinbone.

5 Likes

Well… My Forsaken character really likes her.

I guess I’m not Forsaken enough! :joy:

I’m not sure I understand these 3 points too well. Could you elaborate?

1 Like

Don’t you guys worry, they’ll villain bat her in a few years due to player feedback and replace her with a character who is even worse but in the opposite direction.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t understand when people get hardcore hate-locked on a character over factional origins.

I’m relatively new to the forums and this has been pretty shocking to me.

I especially find it odd when this anger is expressed in terms of “us” (i.e. We don’t like). I’m like “My guy, ‘you’ don’t like!”.

Calia is very relatable to me, her demeanor is great, and she’s ‘ethereally’ gorgeous!

3 Likes

Sounds about right. Than we’ll be here complaining about that character too.

It’s one those be careful what you wish for scenarios. Because blizz will do it, just might not like the change

1 Like

Oh this has been a thing for years and years, it’s not even limited to faction stuff. Do I think Calia’s origins were weird and dumb? Yes, especially since people had been wondering what had happened to her for years and were annoyed when she was just a Priest follower.

She’s linked to the wonky narrative of BfA and Shadowlands, to a large extent, that’s a fact.

But I’ve seen what happens to characters the playerbase chooses to dislike, regardless of how the story goes eventually. And then years later we get ‘I miss this character new character SUCKS!’ threads.

Garrosh springs to mind.

1 Like

I predict Calia will stay relevant until she serves whatever purpose Blizzard had in mind when they told Christie Golden that Before the Storm absolutely must include a character raised into undeath by the Light. They clearly wanted to set up some future plot point with this, possibly for the inevitable “Light Is Bad” expansion. (Unless, of course, they’ve changed their plans so this plot point is no longer necessary.)

4 Likes

The purpose she serves is to eliminate any debate as to who Lordaeron belongs to. She’s the heir to the throne, however defunct, and says ‘these Forsaken here are my people so this kingdom is theirs’. The fact that she’s not a Forsaken also serves to make that ironclad, because it gets rid of the argument that her brain’s been messed with by undeadedness (it’s a word, I swear).

1 Like

I am glad Delaryn is back with the Night Elves and not stuck with Calia.

6 Likes

Calia’s factional origins are only part of the reason people dislike her. Speaking for myself, I see her as part of the wholesale retconning of Forsaken society that happened in the novel Before the Storm. I don’t know if you realize just how thoroughly that book destroyed the Forsaken as they had been presented in the game until that point. Calia is like a symbol of how some at Blizzard seemed to want to turn them into something that those who enjoyed the faction never asked for and emphatically did not want.

7 Likes

I also see a lot of adherence to traditional elements of Warcraft from some players such as “She’s not Forsaken!”.

As someone who has actively played the games since Tides of Darkness in the mid-90s, to me nothing is written in stone. The “Forsaken” are just as new, shoehorned as night elves or Kalimdor, or hell-- even Thrall.

Blizzard is known for their constant reimagining, reconning and introduction of story elements by different writers.

I still remember the angry responses to the inclusion of Blood Elves into the Horde.

In my opinion, whoever has issues with Calia… Doesn’t love their mother enough ! (JK!.. maybe)

I am sorry, I didn’t see your post until I finished my response, so I am adding this, but I think my original response also addresses this. I see where you are coming from (and some of the other people who feel the same way) because I felt the same way when I played Warcraft III.

I asked myself:

Who are these “night elves”?
What is this Kalimdor place?
What?! Some Orcs are “Good”?
Who is this Thrall guy?
But more importantly, who is this Sylvanas!? Where is Alleria, the real OG Elf?!

Shortly after I realized that’s how Blizzard operates. They create, reinvent, introduce new characters, and change stuff about them. Because I played the games from much earlier than Forsaken were even introduced, to me any changes to them as a group, or a faction doesn’t feel out of character, but right there with the nature of how they have been doing it for decades.

But on a closer look, it also makes sense, because up until that point the Forsaken identity had been tied to Sylvanas, so feeling lost after being detached from her does fit the bill.

4 Likes

Whole lotta blue backgrounds supporting Calia.

Remember the Desolate Council only exists as camouflage for Calia.

6 Likes