I keep getting roasted about my sub rogues dps, whats wrong?

I can’t address how many snarky patronizing ( I’m trying to help you! ) players in mythics have been roasting and commenting about my subtlety rogues dps, recently for a whole M+ in Mechagon - Workshop where I kicked the whole group.

On and on constantly fussing and bickering with each other, ‘what buttons do you use? Look how low your dps is’ CONSTANTLY.

My rotation is stealth > shadowstrike > Nightblade > Backstab > Eviscerate, with recently buffs in between of symbols of power and trying to keep my shadowblades buff topped up, it’s really stressful and difficult running a dungeon, dodging and being aware of everything whilst jumping in and out of shadowdance to keep up this rotation, especially as shadowdance use is not that long at all, just a few seconds.

Details from dps mod:

Kamekoga dps:

segment time: 217
active time: 214
damage done: 2.96m
2.96m/13840

Kamekogas damage:
Backstab: 675.4k
Attack: 607k
Eviscerate: 462.4k

This is my vulpera rogue: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/moon-guard/kamekoga the toon everyone seems to keep having a go at and laughing about

So what the hell is wrong exactly? I keep being chewed out and patronized and I admit, my dps is behind others but isn’t it they’re just higher level or the fact subtlety rogue is less dps than other specs?

It’s extremely bothering me, especially with all the flack and players laughing at me about it, asking me what rotations I am doing; etc.

I can’t speak to rotational issues, but there are some things you could be doing gear wise. (Although you may want to try an easier spec like assassination if you’re having trouble focusing on both rotation and fight mechanics.)

First, you’ve got empty gem sockets and no enchants. For organized group content, you will be expected to fill those in.

Second (and harder at this point in the expansion) is your low corruption (and corruption resistance.) Corruptions can be a significant portion of your dps. Right now, someone with a maxxed out cloak and an 8.3 essence will have 135 corruption resistance, which allows for a ton of extra damage through corruptions. If you are serious about Mythic+, you should probably invest some time in leveling up your cloak.

Well, I am waiting to get to 445 gear levl so I can try for Nyalotha raid normal as that raid finder gear was too low level ( 430 ) for me now. xD Then I will aim for the nyalotha normal tier gear.

Thank you very much for your advice and support!

For specific rogue advice, you might try the rogue class forum as well. They will be a lot more equipped to help diagnose issues with talent choices or rotational advice than we are here, but I do suspect a lot of it outside of Udiza’s suggestion does have to do with rotation.

Upon doing a quick sim of your character, it does reveal that even with what you’re running now, you should be at about double the dps of what you copied here. What leads me to believe that it’s a rotational issue is that the sim has your Eviscerate as doing 32% of your overall damage on a single target fight, whereas what you copied has it much lower than that.

If the problem is that to you it’s difficult to focus on your damage with everything else going on in the fight, then the only real way to fix that is to keep throwing yourself into it, and getting as proficient with your character as you can. The less you have to think about your rotation, the more you can focus on mechanics. Ideally, you’ll want to strive for the rotation becoming muscle memory so you don’t have to put much thought into it, though I realize this is easier said than done for a lot of people.

Conversely, running a dungeon enough times makes the fights and the mechanics become second nature so you hardly have to think about that portion of it.

A quick note on that is that Normal Ny’alotha drops 445 gear as well. You are already technically geared enough to run it, but unless your dps issue can be overcome, you’ll find yourself being removed from those groups as well. So it’s definitely critical to get yourself sorted on that front first.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would say gear/essences/corruption are your biggest weakness. It’s been so long since I’ve played rogue and even longer since I played Sub that I don’t know what is best for them right now.

With all that said the pre patch is a matter of weeks away and you need to think about what you’d rather do, play what you enjoy now or grind essences and corruption, as the slate will be wiped clean during pre patch and the beginning of SL.

If you’re wanting to run organised content in SL I highly, highly recommend you find a guild as they will actually invest time into helping you over pugs.

Honestly, if you’re dead set on playing Sub rogue, then just keep at it and don’t switch specs. Sub looks wildly OP in SL until they get the new balancing issues get sorted out.