I Just Don't Get the Appeal of the Gun

Playing my Rogue always leads to this weird feeling of missing playing Combat.

Not because the specs name changed, but because I really hate pistol shot. The sinister strike animation from legion looks so amazing. But I never get why my characters off hand disappears to shoot a pistol. I didn’t realize I rolled a melee class to use a range ability, let alone rolling a stealth class to use a gun. I hate the sound as well, that loud boom. It seems so out of place with Outlaws otherwise sharp sound effects and melee animations.

I just don’t understand what was so bad about a rogue using two slow melee weapons to deal their damage.

10 Likes

I like the fantasy, but it really feels awkward in a rotation. To me it feels like it disrupts the flow completely even though it does good damage.

1 Like

I’m on the other side of the fence. I actually like the switch up of popping something with a pistol shot animation then going back to hacking away at it.

11 Likes

I think it would have been cool if Outlaw been designed as more of a fencing type swordsman along the lines of Dread Pirate Roberts from, “A Princess Bride”. If you haven’t seen the movie it is most certainly worth a watch, but it’s a bit dated so be kind.

Dread Pirate Roberts (Wesley) was a british pirate who dressed very similar to a ninja, was a master fencer, and dabbled in poisons. He didn’t have firearms that I recall, but it could be easily implemented into the theme.

Basically it would be a high agility, high speed, armor piercing, gap closing, poison using/resistant, single handed sword and fire arm wielding pirate. I think that would be a lot of fun.

That being said, I still find Outlaw to be fun with the exception of Roll the Bones. I don’t think Roll the Bones os the issue that it used to be in terms of wild damage fluctuations. I wish it was more like Survival Hunters Wildfire Infusion where it worked on charges, and you knew what was coming up next. Having to spend combo points on it is a drag.

2 Likes

personally I think it’s a route to make rouge more appealing and cool looking.
Something makes me think that I’m not exactly the target audience for this.

Outlaw lowkey has the best burst and the rotation is really straight forward DMG with exactly zero DoT management, only a self buff. Outlaw is the most streamlined spec even with the most cc trading kidney shot out. It’s also really the best spec to counter other melee, or other rouges.

I’m not going to be sitting at home, some guy in his 20’s, I’m a bandit i’m shooting you with my pistol my character is such a bad boy!!! oOoOo stun!! ooOo threw dirt in your eye &now you’re blind, I’m bad!

But imagine if you were someone really young just getting into WoW or just getting into the rouge class, Outlaw would seem pretty cool to me personally if I was just starting and it gives it a unique animation. Outlaw is cool actually.

Also I disagree pistol shot makes the rotation so much better(when it procs the 2 combo point bonus DMG). SS is such crap, it’s expensive and inefficient. SS either needs something like pistol shot symbiosis or it needs to do a crap ton of DMG, i’m talking ret paladin type of crap ton of DMG.

anyways, that’s my kind of long take on the combat/outlaw change

2 Likes

BTE inferior to Kidney Shot due to duration

Pistol Shot inferior to Deadly Throw.

Riposte inferior than Evasion.

Grappling Hook inferior than Shadow Step.

I think I can go on and on but like Sub, Outlaw is like playing a neutered Rogue.

At least Assassination is the only spec standing that plays like a Rogue.

2 Likes

I have posted a few times before, but I think it would be cool if they replaced the first talent row with one that gived you 3 different ammunitions to choose from that add various effect to pistol shot or bte. Think of the wildfire infusion trait that Survival Hunters have. Also make the pistol shot usage a cooldown that doesn’t cost energy. Seems reasonable that there would be a reload time, and how much energy does it cost to pull a trigger?

BTE inferior to Kidney Shot due to duration

BTE does significant damage.

Pistol Shot inferior to Deadly Throw.

Pistol shot is part of the normal rotation. Deadly throw is only used when you’re out of melee range.

Riposte inferior than Evasion.

Pointless distinction.

Grappling Hook inferior than Shadow Step.

Not even close as you can hook to places step doesn’t allow.

12 Likes

I really wasn’t trying to talk about ability damage. I was referring more to the feel of the class fantasy.

I played my Rogue most in MOP when Fan of Knives and Shadow step were still baseline abilities/talents for all specs. I liked the character I made back then, I liked the idea of being a knife throwing sell sword. I like pirates, but I made a rogue not a pirate.

I’ve been looking forward classic because I’ll get the chance to play a slow weapon rogue again with out having to use a gun.

1 Like

Blizzard just really wanted to push the Pirate theme for Outlaw in Legion. They seemed to have backed away from it in BFA, though. I don’t know. I don’t really mind the gun(I also don’t main Outlaw). But, a glyph to change it to something else would always be welcome and there’s never anything wrong with more customization.

1 Like

Not to mentioned it’s ranged and has a shorter effective CD than kidney shot because of restless blades.

You know, a glyph to turn it into a hand crossbow would be neat.

2 Likes

BtE’s utility is its ranged application, allowing you to waddle towards a target or to set up CC chains at a distance. It’s extremely good, and in no way inferior save that you can potentially screw up your stun DRs easily with good RNG (provided you’re just dumping BtEs into the same target). The damage and CDR factors are less important than that, though paired with Deadshot traits, Between the Eyes becomes a major factor in your burst potential.

Personally, I’d like to see a Glyph that lets you use BtE/Pistol Shot like the poisoned throwing knives of Legion: instead of shooting someone, you throw a knife at them. It just happens to stun them (instead of sapping) for Between the Eyes.

“bUt ThAt’S tOo ClOsE tO tHe OtHeR sPeCs!”

No one cares. OG Combat didn’t make me want to strangle Johnny Depp retroactively for taking his infamous role, but Outlaw does.

3 Likes

I would love to play a Sword wielding rogue… The pirate themed stuff simply botches the fantasy altogether. The dice are mechanically bad but can be fixed…

Pistols, scurvy stuff etc. doesn’t fit for me at all…

I miss Combat and I get some people are ok with the YARRRR AHOY Outlaw provides, but imagine if Sub was converted to Ninjutsu and became explicitly a Ninja themed spec. Some people would loathe it, because it meddled in the fantasy many players had with Subtlety, despite the efficiency of mechanics.

1 Like

give us back Combat… take away this dumb gun, if i wanted to use or even see a gun id be a huntard… all i wanna do is SnD and Killing Spree.

3 Likes

As far as fantasy goes I’m on team gun. My rogue’s name is Duvall, named after the famous Highwayman. I love the outlaw theme but I don’t like the pirate influence, not a pirate fan. But someone that would stop a noble carriage and rob someone point blank that’s cool. I like that fantasy especially when you quick draw on someone.

2 Likes

To me adding the gun made it the coolest class ever.

15 Likes

I wish Outlaw had a talent to let their weapons both count as close-mid range pistols. Dual wield pistols? Sign me up!

2 Likes

BTE is 10x better than kidney shot. i’ve done 30-33k BTE crits in pvp. it’s a ranged stun, and comes of CD hell of a lot faster than kidney shot thanks to outlaw’s CD mechanisms

Pistol shot is 10x better than deadly throw. i’ve done 30-33k pistol shot crits in pvp. it’s also ranged, and can mix it in during your normal rotation to do more damage than a sinister strike. like 10k+ crit. deadly throw can’t do that.

Riposte is 10x better than evasion. Evasion-Dodge a warrior? eat an overpower. Riposte negates the damage and is off CD faster thanks to outlaw’s cd reduction mechanisms.

Grappling hook is 10x better than shadow step. i can “teleport” anywhere i want to to get away. you’re restricted with shadow-step. and Grappling hooks CD comes up much faster thanks to outlaw’s CD reduction mechanisms.

and we have gouge, shorter CD blind… more vanishes thx to CD reduction methods… the list goes on.

4 Likes

also… in my own mind… i imagine me pistol whipping people :slight_smile:

ever see pirates of the carrabean where barbossa whips out the same pistol outlaw has and KAPOW! blows a dude up?

yea, that’s awesome.

3 Likes

He isn’t saying that the abilities are useless. He’s simply saying that he doesn’t like the idea of it. I personally agree. I don’t like the whole Pirate theme of Outlaw. I personally prefer the old sword style/theme of Combat.

Make PS be a sucker punch or something. Have BTE be a rock or… idk. A blunted arrow tip shot from a hand crossbow.

4 Likes