I found a pay for addon

How do I properly report it to Blizzard?

I’ve found an addon that violates Blizzard’s ToS on how addons should be free, and it has pay for options that range from $25 to $85. This is absurd and reminds me of the dark days where the best addons were locked behind paywalls.

I’ve lost most of the emails for Blizzard when my email server crashed and I had to start it back up from scratch.

1 Like

Is it one of the “guide” addons? The actually addon may be free, but they charge for the data files. Kinda sketchy stuff to me.

As for reporting…

I wanna say send an email to hacks@blizzard.com, some one will probably correct me though.

4 Likes

It’s one of those guide addons, yeah.

The whole addon should be free, additions or otherwise.

This.

Much like phone apps these days, you can download the app and use it, but the better features (and no ads) are locked behind a paywall.

I’m not sure if these do or do not align with Blizzard’s policies, to be honest. If the add-on is free to install and use in-game, it might be ok (though as Storm said, rather sketchy). You should definitely send it in, so they can take a look to make sure.

It depends on how it’s set up. Are they blocking game information behind a paywall? Then it’s probably against the rules. Are they giving all the minimum game information, but locking “expert advice” behind a paywall? Sketchy, but might be allowed.

I remember one guide (and this might be what you found) was Zygor. The add-on was free to download and use, but behind a paywall, they would plot the most efficient course for you to complete quests.

I agree that it’s sketchy and I wouldn’t use them. But definitely let Blizzard look into it.

2 Likes
2 Likes

It still confuses me how these add-ons manage to still be around.

They are obviously offering a premium service for money and from what I’m reading. That’s against Blizzards rules.

It does make me wonder if it’s a situation where Blizzard can’t do anything about it. Or just doesn’t want to.

7 Likes

It’s a ploy to attempt to slip through a loophole. The only part they seem to be violating would be the “charges for services related to the add-on”. They distribute the add-on free of charge, no premium “version” of the add-on, they aren’t charging to download the add-on, or require compensation to access it. What they charge for is additional optional services.

It’s all about the wording, and how “slick” they think they can be about it. I suspect, based on Preliatus’ description, that the add-on author thinks they’re pulling a fast one, but it looks like the policy covers what they are doing.

When it comes to add-ons, Blizzard has full control over what an add-on can do. There is really no legality to it. Gold sellers, private servers, etc. operate where Blizzard can’t touch them legally, but the LUA sandbox is completely Blizzard’s.

5 Likes

I understand what you’re saying but I would assume that “Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features,” would fall under what they are doing.

Guess I’m wrong about that though.

People tend to think there clever and think they find loopholes and find out fast blizzard doeant play nice.

3 Likes

Zygor has existed since The Burning Crusade, and nothing has happened to them. Just saying.

We really shouldn’t be going on like this. THe OP asked where to report any add-ons they felt may breaking the rules. Personal take on what may or may not be breaking the rules isn’t that useful overall.

1 Like

Times change report and move on.

They are essentially selling a guide. This is not against TOS