I forgot how boring Ret Paladin was in Classic WoW

Imagine being a frost priest in raids. You have a 1 button rotation lol

2 Likes

Yeah dungeons are a bit more fun but whenever you finish that big pre raid bis grind and gather all your fire pots and resist gear just to walk in and press 1 button over and over again (I can’t even use fire blast dammit because immunity).

It’s cool and all downing a raid boss but it’s bitter sweet, I still enjoy the rest of what the game has to offer though is why I still play

1 Like

If you’re unhappy with ret in classic try a hybrid healing/tanking spec. I’m 30/21/0. With blessing of sanctuary I can 100% solo a pack of 7-8 L55 mobs. I use consecration, ret aura, BoSanc, and I have a mithril spike on my shield.

I have more than enough holy abilities to heal raids and dungeons, and I have the defensive capabilities to easily gold farm places like Mara, and DM East. Waaaaay more fun this way than ret was for me (for pve that is.)

9 Likes

The beastmode pvp once geared is worth it

8 Likes

In a raid setting, literally hitting any button but frostbolt is an instant DPS loss. Not kidding, check some of the top mage raid parses. Frostbolt constitutes 100% of their damage.

3 Likes

or

break out of your comfort zone friend

2 Likes

I highly recommend watching below youtube video. 2 weeks before WoW vanilla released, they entirely redid the paladin combat system. I played Paladin in vanilla-beta, and loved it. Basically you had crusader strike (spammable, low damage, increases holy damage taken… similar to Live Strat mobs) and holy strike (like heroic strike, with cooldown, all holy damage). It was interactive and fun.

Then they changed it to this boring crap system.

#nochange, bring back beta-vanilla ret paladin.

13 Likes

This is why im engineering, so i can throw bombs every minute to make gameplay more interesting.

Every minute is a chance for me to show off how big my dick is by pulling 3-4 mobs and bombing them.

Also get the addon Swingtimer, it makes it slightly less boring knowing when you will auto attack.

You forgot cleanse, freedom, bop, sacrifice, consecrete, and of course, hammer of GG.

Oh, you’re talking about a pve single target rotation? I’ll take seal, judge, seal over frostbolt, frostbolt, frostbolt

5 Likes

Yeah didn’t they say it was too much like Warrior so they changed it to a barely tested boring system?

I don’t even think anyone played a paladin on the old team. I cannot remember who it was, he had a murloc avatar and he actually made one because paladins were so freakin bad. the devs didn’t want to test it.

Which was a bs assertion. beta-Vanilla Ret paladin plays much differently than a warrior simply because of rage vs mana mechanics.

The real reason is because at the time Tigole and Furor were holy trinity purists that hated hybrid classes.

12 Likes

retflix 10char

3 Likes

One person’s boredom is another person’s relaxation.

I like being able to look away every few seconds to make sure my kids aren’t getting into trouble. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

You can already do that in modern wow. Lol

kevin jordan, (the guy who made the class) has said that the abilities they pruned were just in there as placeholders. you need to give the class some buttons to press while people test it, so they just gave every class a generic strike ability. the idea was to tie everything into the judgement system with blessings from basically the very start. just originally they were called seals, and once the system was finished they removed the placeholder strike abilities.

2 Likes

Fangtooth.

Who remembers this gem?

9 Likes

Hybrid classes simply aren’t for players who are only interested in doing a dps rotation. Funnily enough, most of the enjoyment of playing a hybrid class is being a hybrid instead of being pigeonholed into the same thing.

That’s why “hybrid tax” existed in early expansions, because the other things they brought to the table would have made them far too strong if they also brought comparable dps specs.

1 Like

What’s worse, as a ret, you will be completely shut down by any shaman or priest who knows how to spam dispel on you, no matter what gear they have.

The only thing is that ret pallies are basically tanks in PVP.

1 Like

I really like Ret in Classic for the reasons people seem to not like it. I think an auto-attack modifying class has its place, its relaxing to play as for me and I looooove the procs and the reactionary seal/aura gameplay.

I MUCH prefer it to the spammy combo spender rogue-like mess that Ret is in BfA

5 Likes

rank 1 Seal of Command with 5/5 Benediction and Libram of Hope costs 38 mana

come at me with your purges/dispels that cost you a whole lot more mana

we can also use a swing timer addon to recast rank 1 SoC right before we swing :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes