I don't use a cell phone so no Battle.net Authenticator

they don’t do the physical ones anymore?

mine from cata is working still

1 Like

No idea if the char making the group has a key or not. All I want to do is input a couple words in run I want to do.

Right, you can’t do that since you don’t have an authenticator. But you’ve been insisting this whole time you can’t use the group finder at all, and you can.

4 Likes

There is no way to do that without an Authenticator… no custom text at all.

1 Like

I can’t even remember the last time I had a contract other than when getting a phone on a payment plan.

The world is moving forward without you.

4 Likes

Buy an older and refurbed phone. No plan required. I haven’t had a plan in 8+ years. I live in the boonies and cell service sucks. I use the wifi and google phone.

1 Like

Ok I guess there is no way around this. I’m not getting a phone so I just que in line. Thanks all.

3 Likes

Just pointing out how strange it is

It’s basically the equivalent of riding a horse thru a modern city while everyone else is giving you a baffled look from their cars. Sometimes you just gotta get with the times

Anyways, this whole thing seems like a “first world problems” issue since you can just buy 1 month of prepaid service (…to get the authenticator set up), then just leave it on a shelf somewhere in your house/never have to touch the phone again (…other than to tap “Approve” for authenticator requests)

It’s not hundreds of dollars to set up an authenticator, I’m sorry but that’s just simply wrong

3 Likes

I believe it’s to reduce gold selling/boosting in the group finder, since scammers and other ne’er-do-wells can make a new email for free if they’re banned, but it’s much more expensive/time-consuming to get a new phone number if you really heck up.

I’m pretty sure I read a thread about a bug with the megadungeon where the autopopulate is the wrong wing. If you were affected by that and didn’t have an authenticator, that would be a (relatively) serious issue. :slight_smile:

I bought my own phone then just bought a $100 a year mobile plan that had about 25 gigs data a year here in Australia surely you can get a deal similar to that in USA

The authenticator requirement has been around for what, two years now? It doesn’t seem to have had any effect at all.

I know this thread is about LFG/M+ listings, but as a side-note I also notice the RMT/suspicious websites copy-pasta spam in trade chat has not slowed down either - seems about the same? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Buy a basic Android phone. Go in first thing and enable the (Sensors) “quick button” which will disable the Location/Mic/Camera with one click, profit.

Cell phones are mostly used by consumers for social media apps, text and various mobile games… Their intended function is more akin to tracking and data acquisition.

1 Like

Unfortunate. I pay exactly zero attention to the group finder (I’m too bad at this game to inflict my presence on others), so I didn’t know. I’m almost certain that was the given excuse, it’s a shame it doesn’t seem to have helped.

I learned today that spammers are recycling the same names on different accounts to discourage reporting. Basically they reuse old names on new accounts to make it look like reporting doesn’t work, leading to people giving up.

3 Likes

Irony is you sending that message from a machine which does exactly that.

10 Likes

That certainly is a tin-foil hat theory.

By the way, Blizzard actually sends you an in-game mail now when they take action against an account you’ve reported.

It seems like a pretty good tactic when you think about it.

^^ That wasn’t refuted and it was clarified by a blue that names for characters below level 30 are released immediately, so it makes perfect sense.

2 Likes

Get a cell phone. It’s meant to be a protective measure for a reason. I get it. You retired. You don’t wanna do something like get a cell phone. A cell phone is infinitely more valuable than your land line though, and has way more in the way of versatility than your land line given what cell phones can do today.

1 Like