I boosted my main to 70 to play dragon flight, but where do I unlock dragon riding?

I haven’t play since battle for Azeroth, so I missed Shadowlands, and most of Dragon flight. I bought the the war within expansion that came with dragon flight, and boosted my main to 70. However I do not know where to unlock dragon riding. I was told to go see Alexstrasza, but she has nothing for me so I am unsure what to do here.

1 Like

Start the DF campaign in The Waking Shores. It’s about 30 minutes worth of questing in.

7 Likes
  • first introductry quests
  • get dragon
  • learn first riding
  • and first race
4 Likes

World of Warcraft: Dragonflight, you can unlock Dragonriding by completing the first 30 minutes of the story. This includes:

• Completing the introductory questline
  • Receiving the first Dragon Isles Drake
  • Learning how to ride your first mount
  • Receiving the first Dragonriding race quest, The Waking Shores Tour

After completing the first two chapters of the campaign in the Waking Shores, you can find Alexstraza the Life-Binder at the Ruby Lifeshrine. She will be able to study Dragonriding and allow you to fly.

You can also unlock Dragonriding races after learning how to ride your first mount. To start a Dragonriding race, you can:

1. Find the Bronze Timekeeper at the location of every Dragon Race
  2. Talk to them to start the race

You can also spend Talent points in your Dragon riding talent tree to increase your dragon’s effectiveness. To access your Dragon riding talent tree, you can:

1. Click on the large icon on your mini-map
  2. Collect Dragon glyphs, which are large golden symbols floating in the sky
6 Likes

Dragon flying is very difficult for a novice but keep on it and capture those dragon riding objectives strewn about in the landscape and you will improve. After your basic dragon riding training exercises, you will be sent to the first one but high up in a tower. After that you need to find them yourself, but you will get a proximity warning from your riding dragon.

Damn, you have to still do the quest if you boost a 70? Was the enhanced boost or normal boost?

The enhanced boost skips the campaign. So something else must be going on here.

2 Likes

I also found if you point your camera straight up at the sky and then hit space bar twice, get high, dive a little until you see wind animation next to wings, then level out you’ll stay flying. As soon as that animation dissappears dive a little to regain it. With practice you’ll never have to land if you don’t want to.

Oh, and get all the glyphs asap before doing anything else. It’ll add extra flying points on the icons below the dragon so you have extra points to keep hitting the space bar to go up when you need to. Though you’ll probably slide down a few cliffs and towers beforehand like I did as you learn! As I did!!!

3 Likes

I see all the normal quest still active, but not intro quest of campgain, the other quest for the other chapters are there.

Did you go to Alexstrasza in Valdrakken or in Waking Shores?

2 Likes

Did you look outside of Org on the tower where the airship takes you to the Dragon Isles? You may need to back up to there to get that campaign rolling into the new area in the Waking Shores.

Also, once you unlock Dragon Riding, be sure to go fly around all the zones and collect up the glyphs, there are addons that show on your map where they are. The glyphs act like talent points on the dragon riding ability tree, and you’ll really want to have most if not all of that unlocked to make Dragon Riding less annoying by having all the vigor charges of 6, not the starter set of 3, plus faster recharge and other abilities.

It’s a little annoying to get all the glyphs, particularly the higher ones, as you may have to stop and rest to recharge vigor and work your way up. But at least you only need to do all that once, as it unlocks all the glyph points for your account so all your toons benefit.

/moo :cow:

1 Like

waking shores, that where I looked up the quest for it.

Wish I could offer some advice, but when I boosted my Paladin I had already unlocked Dragon flying, so I had it on that character from the start. I do know that I still have all the starter quests in the Waking Shores, the Main quest is to go talk to Alexstrasza.

3 Likes

You could try Valdrakken. See if she has anything. I don’t have the new boost, so I’m not sure how it works.

1 Like

I took the zep to the Dragon Isle, and found the main quest there, I am not sure why it didn’t let me start it in org, but I found it. Mooriartee was right about going to take the zep to it. Thanks for the help and advice all.

Look for Lord Andestraz near the flightmaster at the Ruby Lifeshrine. He has the quest start for dragon riding. You should have gotten a quest to talk to him from Alexstraza.