I am sick of the "swirly" mechanics every single fight has: an essay

Big circle with “air tendrils” coming off of it, Stack.
Small little circles, avoid.
AOE circle around me, run away.

At this point, that’s all I care to do.
I’ll face tank the rest of the mechanics and just see what happens.

1 Like

Some form of swirly warning has been around in some form since WOW started. The old “don’t stand in fire” line has to be from Vanilla raids

I want a clearly encircled mechanic with a visible border. Swirlies are fine but they often misrepresent the actual area DMG

2 Likes

Only times you really really need w.a are when mechanics are so complex that it becomes just imposible for 20 people in discord playing a game for fun and loot to be organized better than a Chinese acrobatic troop. Like nelthalion portal phase where everyone has to have a specific portal to cover and you get a number and a position to do.

Everything else is convenience.

I want to keep track of my CDs but I don’t wanna look down or up into the corners of my screen. So I use a warrior wa

Don’t wanna remember release off a wipe as a reflex so I get a w.a that blocks the release button

Does every one have all buffs ? Wa because I don’t wanna look through. All 20 ppl

Mechanic soak rotation that you can only do once every few mins so we wanna make a list and not write on some dumb piece of paper or have people remember their position ( they won’t )

Wa

Boss got a timer for their skills and I wanna see em coming as they go to yell at people to drop duck and roll.

Wa

ff14 does it best

1 Like

So … you’re bad and complaining about an easy mechanic. Gotcha.

Ff14 is brain dead

you can point many bad things for ff14 but telegraphing damage is not one of them

3 Likes

i only dislike “swirly” mechanics because they dont have a defined edge, like mechanics in ffxiv do.

makes it hard to see where to stand. everything should have a defined edge in a raiding/pve environment

1 Like

I tanked as a VDH in season 3 and decided to play fury warrior dps in season 4 to mix it up, and yeah. It seems the only way Blizzard knows how to make a fight difficult is to just put stuff on the ground that 1 shots you.

I don’t mind orbs or beams, or other things that you have to be aware of, have to dodge, and then can go back to dpsing. It just feels like the encounter toolkit lacks creativity sometimes. Mechanics are usually just: ground effects, spell interrupts, kill adds, dodge something.

Some of the creative/fun forced movement things that I’d like to see more of are things like in The Nokhud Offensive with The Raging Tempest, where you want to collect the orbs to get a little damage boost. In Dawn of the Infinite with the Manifested Timeways boss and the two different zones and the debuff that you want to make sure expires in the light colored zone. I also don’t mind the chains mechanic in Neltharus on Chargath especially because after you successfully clear them, he’s stunned for a bit and you can pump dps into him.

Forcing movement is fine, it’s just tiresome when the only outcome is move or get 1 shot. It’s more fun when the movement leads to a positive outcome like a buff or a dps phase.

1 Like

I have yet to see a donut shaped swirly in WoW.
x4 for one on every character combined with a gingham pattern across the entire area makes for some interesting dancing to find a safe spot.

“Inside → outside” styles where a circle around a mob is swirly immediately followed by that spot being the only safe spot of which ive only seen one back in BFA.

“Cascading swirls” where you have to time being in the last placed swirl just long enough for the first one to fade and get to it asap.

I havent done much endgame content so ive never seen these personally if they exist in wow

1 Like

3rd boss HoI has this, as do multiple raid encounters throughout the expansion.

3 Likes

I think we should include rings, lines, and ripple waves.

Only 2 types of mechanics in modern wow, dont step in the swirly and step in the swirly.

When Ion moved from encounter design to lead designer I really think things got sloppy. There’s been too much of this for quite some time. M+ is pretty poorly designed all things considered, despite being often fun.

All the trash in Halls of Infusion, just the start requires control of a 50% damage and heal debuff that can stack as well the orbs exploding.

First boss in Halls still, but better example all of BrackenHallow.

Still have this with Halls, Froggo requires tank to get munched to save everyone else.

All trash in Halls.

How many run away and wait mechanics in Halls? First boss if you count dropping shield or dumping your bad away from group. A named NPC who can be ignored for that mechanic. Froggo during Gulp end cast, though some melee can out range it. Tauren Earthshakers in 4 trash packs if you do not stun them out of their Stomp, some melee can out range it. And two mechanics on the third boss of Line of Sighting behind ice blocks and avoiding her rippling one shot move.

This is a total of 7 mechanics in the entire dungeon at worst, and 3 at best scenario. This is one dungeon that was evaluated off memory so feel free to critique this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If your tank is good they can park the boss right up against the block so melee can still attack.

1 Like

You mean like the purple circles in DHT you are supposed to run out (and hopefully be dispelled), followed by the purple circles you need to stack in? That kind of “unique and consistent animation”?

1 Like

Do you mean the final boss where he puts a debuff on the player that becomes a solid circle of bad, swirls that indicate a burst of damage will occur soon, and the strong border circle with being more empty inside indicating someone should stand there?

To the op yeah I hate it too and used to be the swirly hit was used not as main ability and now its like the third key I hit for whrilwind. Should only be used as an after thought.