I am confused about multiple clients

As long as button 1 doesnt cast 5 abilities at once its 1 key per action.

“”
If I press the number 1 on my keyboard and my mage casts fireball, then I press 2 on my keyboard and my 2nd accounts mage casts fireball, is that ok?
“”

No that is not ok!

5 Likes
  1. Cast fireball on client 1
  2. ???
  3. Cast fireball on client 2

You need to manually switch to Client 2 window in Step 2.

E.g., I have 2 wow clients open. I select client 1, making client 1 my focused window, and press the button for fireball, and Mage #1 casts fireball. I then move my mouse or alt-tab to client 2, making client 2 my focus window, then press the button for fireball.

Multiple clients are fine, whether on one monitor or 5. But if you’re automating client window focus by building it into “Button 2”, that’s not okay.

10 Likes

Well I can hotkey switch client to a key rather than alt+tab, which is kinda clunky. I can macro switch client + then 2 key so its all done in 1, or would they rather you hit lets say the “t” key to effect the same thing. So sequence would be 1,t,2,t etc?

I’m admittedly a little less knowledgable about the macroing or hotkey switching part over no hardware/software but they really don’t care how ‘clunky’ something is. The recent changes were implemented so that multi-boxing couldn’t be streamlined. So quality of life while multi-boxing is what they were aiming to remove. Not necessarily to punish players, but it remains that the changes impact botters and players alike.

The big takeaway is that multi-boxing is allowed, though unsupported. Everything you do in regards to it is at your own risk.

4 Likes

From what I understand, unless you use AHK or another 3rd party program, you can’t remap Alt-Tab. 3rd Party Program is suspect, and AHK is bannable.

Press spell. Manually move mouse or press windows default command to move to the next client. Press spell again. There really isn’t any other okay way to do it now.

7 Likes

I’ve had “Powertoys” by microsoft on my computer for along time, it allows you to remap any keys, is that now a problem? I use my alt key for talking so I had to remap stuff along time ago.

The new guidelines are very, purposely vague, because people were really getting creative with wireless keyboards, macro-programmed mice, homebrew programs, even visual basic scripting and macros run in programs like Word. What you’ve described sounds like you’d be using hardware or software tools to “streamline” multiboxing which is no longer allowed. There’s a pretty good chance that would get you dinged unless it’s plain old fashioned press 1 to cast fireball in Window 1, alt-tab or click to Window 2, press 1 to cast fireball in Window 2.

It’s really not the death sentence for multiboxing that people seem to think that it is, especially on a limited basis. It’s just a bit more inconvenient for a couple of accounts at a time. It’s the massively-multiboxers that are really drastically affected.

The bots, though, they’ll continue on, only being interrupted by having to create new accounts, since they don’t care if they break the rules and get banned.

8 Likes

I would feel better about it if I thought the appeal process had a human element, I just see other people getting automated responses that they have had there case looked into, when they clearly haven’t.

There are no automated replies to the appeals process. Templates, yes. Robots, no.

16 Likes

I noticed Powertoys had that capability, but wasn’t sure that’s what you were talking about. I can’t say 100% this would be okay under the new guidelines, but it’s just a Microsoft Utility program built by Microsoft to do things Microsoft already can do (but makes it easier).

Not knowing enough about the remap functionality, I can only say that if you remap Alt-Tab, make sure that’s all you do with it. Don’t incorporate the “t” into anything except Alt-Tab. However, I can’t guarantee this is 100% okay with Blizz. Even so, I don’t see how it’s any different than remapping my mouse buttons. Just don’t macro anything outside WoW.

4 Likes

No. You are only allowed to manually control one game window at a time by opening each individual window and controlling it. You cannot bind keys to control different windows or you’re going to get in serious trouble.

Absolutely not. Remotely controlling your game client with any third party programs at all is prohibited, and what you’re suggested is still prohibited in itself.

Also, hi Vrakthris. I can see you typing.

5 Likes

They aren’t automated responses, Crewcop, nor have they ever been. It is important that our staff is consistent in the messaging they provide so they use template responses in most cases.

I really am not able to delve into the specifics more than what has already been stated in our Support Article on Multiboxing and the threads that were posted by Community.

I’d say Srilanni seems to have a pretty good handle on it from what I can see. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Would you believe the Earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese just because other people tell you so or what you “see”?

Tickets may be replied with a template response to help weed through tickets that might be handled best by another route than a ticket. If your situation doesn’t fit the template, then you select the “No, my issue is not solved” or whatever verbatim response along those lines, and your ticket will be escalated.

The best way to avoid possible sanction/suspension or ban is to follow the letter of what has been told to you here and in the updated multi-boxing policy. Avoid anything that will place you and your account in jeopardy. It may be clunky or annoying to have to do things more manually, but such is the price to pay to multi-box.

6 Likes

Thanks, as far as I can see Powertoys is just remapping keys, at the moment I have windows key remapped to off, since I hit it accidently all the time. I understand AHK has abilities to script which would definitely move into the “I press a key multi things happen”, realm of things.

Seems reasonable to work with, thanks for the help.

1 Like

In the vein and spirit of it specifically sayi g streamlining in the update, I would err on the side of yes, that is bad.

Manually switch to each instance of the game cast spell manually switch.

It is my understanding rhst this is the only acceptable way to Multibox now. Mappi g a key to automatically switch active clients is playing with fire. Good chance that you will get burned.

2 Likes

You cam via windows overlay. Open up wow in multiple clients and allow ingame overlay for them. You just need to manually name the launch folder to wow1, wow2, wow3 ect ect

This is very possible - but I don’t see how it matters whether you hit alt+tab, or any other keyboard button to make a function happen. If you’re allowed to switch between windows by hitting a key on your keyboard, then any key should do. Taking it back a step, why are we assuming that windows default functions are ok - is not using alt+tab a software and hardware mechanism of streamlining multiboxing?

It isn’t the key phrase is “command mirror” going into a window and manually controlling a toon is direct input to a singular world of Warcraft client compared to the old methods which had a direct input to one client then software or hardware mirrored the commands to other windows designated. In the case of hardware, it was the only thing running on the machine and all the machines would have the same mouse / key movements if things were copied. If the program only affects windows keybinds then it should be ok, however, it’s third party software so if he was using it for that purpose or not blizz could flag it if their anticheat set it off.

Edit: Looking at the basis of the software, it is originally designed by windows for use in their windows machines although in 2019 it did go opensource, therefore, I would try to avoid it… just to be safe. Opensource software can be a recipe for disaster. It’s not the original piece, derived from the original pieces and deviated from the original intended design potentially. You do not know what someone could have slipped in there with the open source… least from what I can gather information wise about the software discussed.

2 Likes