Hypocrisy of min maxers on covenants

I wish that were true. I don’t commit to a guild/community because I just play WoW when I feel like it, so I live the PuG life.

“Low dps, you have the wrong talents noob”
People posting HPS meters and telling the healers that they suck
Things of that nature.

Many players do, and many recent changes are with that in mind.

The community isn’t particularly nice, so it can’t have nice things.

2 Likes

Okay, so we’re in complete agreement that the title is factually correct and that Preach and the like are purely hypocritical because they want to disregard RPG systems that create a negative impact on them while ignoring systems that create a negative impact on others? It sounds like you agree with me.

I just want to make this clear I have zero percent interest in making conduits completely open and free. This is purely a logical construct to show that if one were to be completely unbiased in reducing the RPG burden of systems on others, it would mean opening up the conduit system completely. Wanting to interchange conduits but still locking conduits from others is purely a selfish, hypocritical position with no basis in the general welfare of the community or utility theory - it’s simply something that selfish players want because it makes them better off at the expense of others.

And y’know what? It’s literally okay for some people to have a selfish outlook. The hypocrisy comes in when you pretend you’re making an argument for the welfare of others while your argument is in fact intended to support a system that harms others for your own benefit.

When Preach says “I want this because it makes my life easier” - which he has said by the way - I can get on board with that. But he starts getting into his rants and getting into this headspace where he wants things his way and he starts outright lying about how harmful certain things will be to others (which it would be, but not in the way he suggests and which the changes he wants wouldn’t resolve for the vast majority), it’s completely disingenuous.

I mean, the covenants are likely going to be a 20%+ Damage difference for a while in a lot of cases. If I start a group, why bring someone that far behind by default just because they made a cosmetic choice.

Doesn’t effect me at all if I just ignore their invite, or just flat out tell them no. There isn’t really a community behind WoW in the game imo, Community to me implies that we’re in a confined/limited enough social environment that we’ll get to know each other eventually.

Good one. xd People will do it no matter, it’s something you can’t win. If the difference is big enough.

I think if you join high level group content it’s just expected that you do it because other people do it, people are basicly expecting the same mindset as them. But you can make your own group or join a guild that doesn’t mind. There’s still enchancement sham, feral druid and other less played spec that clears all the content. Yes it’s harder and no we can’t fix this unless we homogenize everything.

Dude’s going to find himself alone if he keeps aggravating people.

People take this approach in leveling content now.

And in M+ below +10. That’s dumb, and apparently the developers are slowly beginning to agree.

A nice way to put it.

When you ignore an issue in the community, it will sooner or later come back to bite you in the butt.

I honestly believe if the community wasnt so toxic the covenants wouldnt need to be locked because people wouldnt demand from others to change

I want to point out to some people that there’s a line between your personal enjoyment of the game and you encroaching on others enjoyment of the game by deliberately hindering them and making their lives harder.

If you deliberately join a raid with a sub par set up you could easily change, don’t look up the fight for immersion and then force other people to pick up your slack, that’s where your enjoyment of the game ends, you have no right to make someone put in twice the effort and time for your selfishness, this isn’t a single player game.

If you want to play your way, start your own guild, community or runs with those rules specified going into it because most of the vitriol I see is from people upset that other people don’t want to carry them through content when they won’t even put in the effort themselves.

2 Likes

Blizzard tried it that way, and the community got out of hand. So now they’re dialing it back.

The “way” to do it for mythic progression became the way to do it in dire maul, because the community is unimaginative. The community needs protection from itself, and particularly newer players need protection from the rest of the community.

Tons of changes in recent years have been about protecting players from the community - personal loot, rank restrictions upon joining a new guild, and now, this.

Those guilds that want to mandate specs will still be able to do that.

1 Like

Covenants create more disparities, it’s gonna be a lot worse. I don’t know how people cannot see this.

The way they can truly fix balance is by homogenizing stuff, but it would be a terrible cost to fix it.

So it’s one of those things that is bound to exist forever. It’s not bad to want people with the same mindset to play with them. Some people just want the right tools for the right job. It just depends how much you care about it. You’ll find for sure groups and guilds ready to accept you even if you don’t play the best of anything.

1 Like

There will be growing pains, yes. This is necessary.

The alternative is blizzard finishing the job and stripping RPG elements entirely.

2 Likes

Exactly, and trying to force the community to do things a certain way is only going to result in people not wanting to play the game, or mocking those who don’t want to put the time needed to get their spec to function competitively in M+, or raids, or PvP.

That already exists with classes that have more than one spec for a role. Talk to demo locks about M+.

2 Likes

:chart_with_downwards_trend:

Was there really any hardcore rpg in wow ever?
Like people meme about the story all day.
RP servers are minorities.
Most people see leveling as a pain which is one of the biggest rp part of the game and are ready to just pay a boost, and Blizzard knows it so they sell them.
You overvalue the value of rp in wow.

2 Likes

So your counterpoint to covenants excluding players from content is that some players are already excluded from content.

So now even more players will be excluded from content based not only on their class, spec, but now their covenant too.

1 Like

You can have story in an FPS. The rpg-like character options in wow, though, were really something new for the genre.

If you look at old warrior trees, there were two-ish viable ways to dps (setting aside the whoopsie of fury in leather being the best in the game before BC); and dozens of decent tank builds. You could even tank everything but endgame with a two hander because of rage generation, and if you grouped with a holy priest it worked.

Now? All warrior tanks are the same.

1 Like

Sure give more way to customize, just don’t lock it up.

Locking it up is the only way it worked.

You only ever saw pvp-ish talents in PVE because of the hassle of changing them. They were often quite cool.

The community is too dogmatic to allow for variety in the current system, so the system needs to change.

The community will change later. Some parts of the community won’t like this. I think Blizzard expects that enough of them will get over it.

1 Like

Honestly, just gatekeep harder content.

Let heroic content and below be the free-for-all anyone can do anything that everyone wants. Just gatekeep Mythic behind meta and min/maxing.

People are complaining about the mentality spilling into other parts of the game. Put a hard stop into Mythics.