Hunter's Mark is pointless

Back in the day Hunter’s Mark was a “signature ability” of hunters. We were known for it, and it provided a nice bonus damage do everyone.

I was nice, therefore, it was taken away.

When Shadowlands was announced, and Ion was talking about bringing back “signature abilities”, the first (ok, second after Eyes of the Beast) thought that came to mind was, naturally, Hunter’s Mark. It would be nice to have that nice bonus again, to throw that funny looking arrow on the head of the boss and tell everyone “the hunter is ready to go”.

Then I read the ability’s description. Apart from being able to see through stealth (mainly a PvP-exclusive thing), it’s pointless. There is absolutely no reason to use it, except if you want to waste a GCD with it.

I’d rather they kept it out of the kit instead of this.

9 Likes

In beta it gave you a 5% dmg buff, nice right? Wrong because that just means they nerfed all your abilities by 5% so that you could waste a GCD just to do the same dmg.

8 Likes

Didn’t mark auto apply back in MoP? I may be remembering wrong but at some point I know it auto applied when you used arcane shot.

Exactly this.

1 Like

it’s a pvp ability now

IIRC there was a talent somewhere during MoP that did that.

it can be useful in pvp from time to time, but yeah it’s more or less just an annoying keybind you have to keep incase you come across rogue or druid. with a class that already has way too many keybinds especially for pvp

Which is fair but not enough to say it’s a “comeback”. It was a general use ability and a damage buff - to everyone attacking that target.

If it’s a pvp exclusive. Why isn’t only usable with pvp on like the rest of pvp skills?

2 Likes

There is a power in torghast I believe that gives you and your pet 10% damage to marked targets.

3 Likes

My feelings exactly. I had dusted off my old assist macro that put a mark on the target.

When I saw that prevented me from starting my dps, I dumped it.

Edit: It WAS nice on one of those track–the-footprints tames. I saw a set not long ago and once I found him and marked him, I could take my time with the tame.

It was some named Quillen.

1 Like

Blizz pruned way back on effects like this sadly. Sunder armor, faerie fire, expose weakness etc. All lot of debuffs were removed which really sucks.

oh certainly, I’m not saying it’s fine for that reason, just that that is the reason

because reasons. totally valid ones, I promise

1 Like

Throw it on mobs who vanish during combat in dungeons/torghast

Tada, it’s still got good uses

1 Like

I liked how it functioned in BFA for MM. 5% damage buff however it gave you focus whenever the mob died. Provided some nice focus regeneration between packs.

1 Like

I never want to have to cast HM to increase my damage again. I agree that it was a fun ability when it lasted forever, but it’s not a big deal.

It is still great in PvP and I use it regularly. Flaring+HMing a stealthed rogue or druid is an awesome feeling.

it uhhhhh was an awful ability because you had to use it every single fight in order to do “normal” damage, lol. anyway, there’s a conduit that makes marked enemies do a % less damage to you that’s pretty cool

It’s a fair point. But assuming you’d take the time to cast it, it would be nice to know it wasn’t a waste. Plus, this time around it has limited range and duration…

Agreed.

Name one.

1 Like

It was given a 5% damage boost in beta and after extensive crying about it hurting target swapping it got removed.

Which was always the main point of it anyway.

1 Like