Hunters in pve

Are they good? heard theyre easy so that’s good but are they good in M+ and raids?

BM is pretty good at raids and M+. It has reliable, fully-mobile damage with great cooldown burst and decent utility (including an immunity).

It’s rotation is simple and has no movement penalty at all but getting the cooldown management right is key to doing great DPS v.s. decent DPS. BM has 2 cooldowns with different cooldown reduction mechanics plus a stacking buff that needs to be maintained (Barbed Shot + Frenzy mechanic).

As for the other specs: MM is “ok” but is pretty much laterally worse than BM at everything other than perhaps epic battlegrounds and so there is very little reason to play it. SV is in a similar situation, plus it’s melee so it’s generally the least desirable Hunter spec in PvE (it is far better than BM in rated PvP, however).

2 Likes

Anything that can move and do damage at the same time while bringing an interrupt and decent rounds of CC will be top tier in this M+ iteration.

That might change in Shadowlands because Team A dungeons are nothing like Team B dungeons. Legion for example wasn’t so movement heavy.

If you’re concerned about Shadowlands take a look at where hunters were in Legion. That’s where it’ll wind up but right now in BFA BM is one of the best M+ specs.

1 Like

They’re very good in M+, yes. Granted that doesn’t mean much currently as everyone wants DHs and rogues in their groups, but for ranged DPS BM hunters do very well because we have great sustained AoE.

1 Like

I think that Survival could potentially get better aoe because of how Wildfire Infusion works and Butchery’s damage. Or at least SV’s aoe is more directed than BM’s.

1 Like

heh…yeah… I swapped over to Butchery yesterday despite websites saying its used very little by hunters.
Jesus. The mobs just drop dead now.
Probably not the best choice for single target, but most of what I do ends up getting me mobbed anyway, lol.

I learned to use Butchery back in Legion, when i realized it just did better damage + better area.

1 Like

oh yeah…toasts bugs dead, lol.
I got curious about trying to get a good four button rotation.
I saw Butchery and tried it. LOVE it.
So i put that on my regular rotation, then made a /castsequence macro for Serpent Sting and Wild Fire bomb just to make one button out of them both. Actually working better than Id thought.

#showtooltip /cleartarget /targetenemy /castsequence SERPENT STING, WILDFIRE BOMB
(the targeting parts can be ignored if one doesnt like that sort of auto targeting thing)
With the Butchery talent being used, Im not relying so much on Serpent Sting like I was…so grouping it with Wildfire Bomb actually works out really well, even with the 15 second CD.
I just bump fire them both when WB comes off CD. Still getting decent DPS with them both, while making up for anything lost in spades with Butchery, Kill command and Raptor Strike.