Hunter ranged abilities have minimum range again?

I just started playing WoW Cataclysm Classic a few days ago. According to Icy Veins and several other web sites there should no longer be a minimum range for Hunter ranged abilities. For me however the range is 5-40 yards and the game automatically switches to my melee weapon when the mob gets close. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

I also thought it was Cata but I guess I was misremembering.
According to the patch notes for 5.0.4 on Wowpedia :

“There is no longer a minimum range for the class. The ranged weapon slot has been removed from the game; hunters now equip their ranged weapon in the main hand weapon slot.”

Is anyone else experiencing this? Either the patch notes are wrong or there has been another (perhaps accidental) change that reversed the earlier patch.

The patch notes are for MoP. So there is still a minimum range for Cata.

1 Like

Ah, so it is the websites like WowHead and Icy Veins that are incorrect. Thank you.

1 Like

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Patch_5.0.4_(class_changes)

No problem. On the plus side they are rushing Cata. So you won’t have to deal with it for very long, if you stick around.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does “they are rushing Cata” mean? Does Cata Classic not include the Cata changes yet?

I’m new here so there is a lot I don’t know…

They mean they have shorten the timeline for Cata to be played.

Does that mean the next classic xpac? Possibly but who knows

1 Like

The deadzone was removed in Cata. The minimum range used to be 8 yards, so if your target was 6 or 7 yards away, you couldn’t use either melee or ranged abilities on them.

The Cata minimum range of 5 yards means that you’ll always be able to use something on a target, either melee or ranged, but you can still be too close for ranged.

2 Likes

Yeah don’t even think of trying PvP until the range is changed to zero. You can try to kite but good luck, and rogues, and basically any melee will pretty much delete you as soon as they glance in your direction and there isn’t much you can do about it. Hell, even some casters will get close to you and kill you knowing you can’t shoot them.

This post is incorrect. The dead zone was removed back in TBC, with Patch 2.3.0 in late 2007. Here in Classic, we only experienced the dead zone in vanilla.

https://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/Dead_zone

Otherwise the earlier replies are correct, Hunters do not get to shoot point blank until MoP, and they give up their melee weapons (and chance to parry) in exchange.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.