Hunter questions

My vanilla hunter died an early death (STV corpse-camping that almost made me quit WOW) and I didn’t roll another hunter, or level, until much later. Now my sister-in-law has a hunter and is asking me all kinds of questions that I try to answer as best I can based on what I can search and read. However, I’m a little stuck on this one.

Petopia primarily seems to mention attack speed. We found one comment that compared a Swamp Jaguar (1.2 speed) to Broken Tooth, specifically mentioning that for PvE the Swamp Jaguar actually hit harder and held threat better.

1. This was a comment from 1.10.2 so did that change by 1.12 or what we’ve got in WOW Classic?

2. On a PvE realm where the only casters to deal with tend to be mobs, not players with talents to reduce pushback, is that slightly faster attack speed still valuable? (NOTE: She already has The Rake already, with 1.2 attack speed.)

My thought for her was to keep The Rake for her questing (usually solo or with her husband’s warlock and my priest) and pick up a worg with Furious Howl for dungeon and eventual raiding. Does that make sense or is there a better choice? Again PvE realm and she doesn’t tend to flag intentionally.

Oh, another question. She plans to teach the dungeon one cower and not growl, while the solo one would have growl and not cower. Does that make sense, or are there reasons to have either of those pets know both?

All pets (edit: in the same family) have the same dps so there shouldn’t be any threat or damage difference. The only difference in PvE is the talent Frenzy will trigger slightly more often on fast attack pet, so at most that means you can add 4 points instead of 5 on Frenzy but there is really no other attractive talent onBM.

Not sure about push back in pve

On my cat I have Bite, Claw, Dash and Growl. Since you can only have 4 active spells so there is no room for Cower. When solo I turn on Bite and Growl, in dungeons I turn on Bite and Claw and occasionally switch to Growl for off tanking

I abandoned my Rake (1.2 speed) and got Humar (1.3 speed), just for the look. It doesn’t really matter when levelling

Are you sure? Petopia show different modifiers between pets.

A cat will do the same DPS regardless of speed. The speed is most important in PvP.

I would teach even the dungeon one growl. Pets can prevent wipes sometimes when the tank goes down. Unless it cannot grab aggro from any of the adds in an emergency!

I’d also teach the solo one cower. Incase she groups with a tank while questing. She can always switch out pets on the spot, though it would be easier/faster to not have to.

I understand she doesn’t want to worry about the wrong thing going off in dungeons. More options are always better though!

oh I meant pets in the same family have the same dps. Different family has different modifier.