Hunter pet attack speed

Hello guys!
What are the + and - to have a cat with 2s attack speed vs 1s attack speed ?
PVE and PVP
Thanks!

Fast attack is trolly in PvP (Spell pushback)
Slow Attack Speed better for Melee hunter (Better damage on Flanking)

Fast attack speed consumes frenzy faster, they deal less damage when using flanking strike, it causes more spell push back and more rage generation.

Slower attack speeds consumes frenzy slower, they deal more damage when using flanking strike, it causes less spell push back and less rage generation.

Given the current burst instant cast meta, there’s almost no reason to use a fast cast over a slower one.

3 Likes

very true statement. I actually spent some time trying to get broken tooth and i thought what the heck am i doing? sure broken tooth with my spec would cause his attacks be .77 but I dont do any pvp on a pve realm, wasted effort and time.

I dont want to give up my “the rake” since I captured him on my night elf hunter at level 10 (yes I navigated from night elf starting area with multi death jumps to mulgore). But I might give my puddytat a rest and go for a wolf soon. Not 100% sure bite does some great big hit damage but claw really adds up quickly for costing much less focus…

Excellent. Thx for the reply.
Been using the wyvern for lvling, i have echeyakee stabled since 25. As I got closer to 40, wasnt sure if i should get the cat from badlands. Now will lvl my white lion. It looks way better too :laughing:

With the leveling boost and the current cat meta, you may want to just switch to a cat now. Your character will level significantly faster than your pet will.

Not 100% sure bite does some great big hit damage but claw really adds up quickly for costing much less focus

Depends.

If you have anything you want to spend focus on other than damage, such as lightning breath or growl - then Bite is superior. It’s also more efficient on focus - doing 1.5 damge per focus at 40.

If you don’t care about being able to use other abilities, or are about to be focus capped - then Claw is superior. It’s also less efficient - doing 1.24 damage per focus at 40.

Not certain I follow.
If i use my cat for tanking (solo play) i should use only growl and bite?
And if i use it for group play or pvp i should use bite and claw ?

There is no big difference between slow and fast attack speed.
Slow is better with flanking strike (but it’s not that big really), and fast is for spell pushback and more frenzy procs (although in practice you probably have 100% uptime with both).
Also if you use tigerblood talisman you’ll get more procs with faster attack speed.

Honestly just play with your favorite cat unless you are a min/maxer.

1 Like

If i use my cat for tanking (solo play) i should use only growl and bite?

Yes. This way you have enough focus to always growl on CD.

And if i use it for group play [snip] i should use bite and claw ?

Bite on autocast, toggle autocast on claw if your focus is at risk of capping, then turn it off once low.

or pvp

Claw/Prowl/Dash, fights wont last long enough for Bite to be relevant.

1 Like

The 1s attack speed functions a silence to casters for any spell with a cast time. Every time you are hit, 30% of the spell’s collective cast time is reset. Since this combined with your attacks outpace the cast time of the spell, no spell can be cast. (unless instant) This also means channeled spells will be canceled almost instantly. The only minus is that any spell based off their attack damage will not hit as hard, like Flanking Strike and Intimidation.

Get the one that makes you the most happy. The attack speed for pushback is probably better and more noticeable than slow attack speed dps gains for PvE. Flanking strike damage is a minute portion of your overall dps. It literally doesn’t matter.