Hunter Auto Shot Macro Help [WOW CLASSIC]

I want to turn auto shot on, and if I press the button again it doesn’t turn auto shot off. I tried a few macro’s listed below. They work as intended, but if I press auto shot again it turns auto shot off and the hunter animation is constantly recasting auto shot.

#showtooltip
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/cleartarget [dead]
/cast Auto Shot

AND…
#showtooltip
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/cleartarget [dead]
/cast !Auto Shot

Both macros keep recasting auto shot when I press the button again, I do not want this. I want to cast or turn on auto shot and keep it turned on if if pressed again.

Thanks for any help.

2 Likes

/stopattack shuts off Auto Attack.
/startattack turns on Auto Attack.

Conceivably, you could use a [combat] modifier to regulate it, but combat doesn’t drop right away (your pet, your DOT, both can extend your time in combat even if you’ve cleared target).

There isn’t any way to know autoattack is on or off from within the macro api, I don’t believe.

I also think that’s probably by design as an anti-botting measure.

If you’re determined to shut off autoshot, put it under a modifier.

#show
/cleartarget [dead][noharm][mod:alt/ctrl]
/targetenemy [nomod:alt,dead][nomod:alt,noharm][nomod:alt,noexists]
/petassist [nomod:alt]
/petattack [nomod:alt]
/petpassive [mod:alt]
/petfollow [mod:alt]
/stopattack [mod:alt]
  • No modifier
    • Good Target
      • Continue attacking current target
    • Dead Target
      • Clear your target
      • Set your target to the nearest living, harmable target in your forward cone
    • Unharmable Target
      • Clear your target
      • Set your target to the nearest living, harmable target in your forward cone
    • Any target situation
      • Pet will attack your target
      • Pet is sent to attack immediately
  • Alt
    • Clear your target
    • Recall pet
    • Place pet in passive mode
  • Ctrl
    • Clear your target
    • Set your target to the nearest living, harmable targetin your forward cone

Auto-Attack starts when you initiate combat. It’s never necessary to start it manually.

This macro will automatically change to the closest target in your forward cone when your target dies or becomes unharmable (as in mind-controlled or whatever by a friendly unit).

This macro will allow you to manually swap to the closest target in your forward cone by holding the CTRL key down.

When you change targets, your pet will automatically change to and attack your current target.

This macro will allow you to stop combat (other than any currently-running DOTs or already-placed, but un-sprung traps) by holding the ALT key down. When you do that, your pet will go passive and come to you.

I don’t care about these macros because I’m playing a hunter, I was just using that macro as an example of a macro that works even for hunters melee attacks.
However, the macro doesn’t work for a hunters ranged Auto Shot.

I want an Auto Shot macro that turns on, and stays on even when pressed again. I never want to turn Auto Shot off.

I thought /cast !Auto Shot would work but it doesn’t.

Was the name changed at some point? It should be in the spell book.

@Bluespirit

I just tested this.

/stopattack DOES in fact shut off auto shot.

Start attack is never necessary in a macro unless the only thing you want to turn on is your auto shot.

1 Like

Pressing Auto Shot for a 2nd time also does the same. I’ looking for a way to stop this. Where even if you press Auto Shot Again it doesn’t cancel or toggle auto shot off.

1 Like

/startattack really isnt doing what you want?
It should produce the same effect as right clicking on a mob, which for hunters is auto shot.

I believe this is what you’re after mate. Normally right click just activates your auto attack (melee) and auto-shot in classic isn’t under the general tab, but the marksman tab (which is really odd because I think wand is general) TBH it’s prob only cos they didn’t know what other level 1 ability to give a hunter at level 1 like all the other classes (i think they all have 2)
This is pulled directly from the classic wow live hunter macros & Tips
classicwow.live/topic/893/hunter-macros-tips

#showtooltip
/targetenemy [noexists][dead][help]
/cast !Auto Shot
/startattack

This two-line macro will:
Automatically target anything in front of you if you don’t have a target.
Begin using Auto Shot if you’re at the appropriate distance to strike.
Prevent Auto Shot from being toggled off if you hit the key again.
Swap to melee auto attack if you’re too close to Auto Shot.
Note: you will get an error message when trying to cast auto shot while in melee, but it should let you melee when too close to a target.

Two important functions in particular are added: The automatic targeting, which will allow you to basically point and shoot with your right mouse and Auto Shot keybind, and the function that prevents Auto Shot from being toggled off. Auto Shot is on its own cooldown, independent of the GCD, so it’s important to be able to enable it on demand.

11 Likes

Okay, thank you very much, I really hope this works as you say it does because I am a bit of a spammer and was getting auto-shot turned on and off too much while I played.

the !autoshoot functionality doesn’t seem to work on live classic servers.

That link to macros is saying page not found for me?

This is great, exactly what I wanted. I have autoshot bound to my mousewheel so normal autoshot would on/off/on/off. This will keep autoshot on without turning it off but if you spam the button the attack will continue to start.

Thanks very much!

Can you please elaborate on this because it looks amazing!

Is there anyway to stop the hunter animation glitching? If you spam, the hunter bow animation bugs out, but he still fires the auto-shot.

Bump will try this

These are the droids you are looking for.
Enjoy :slight_smile:

• Includes Pet Auto Attack (Attack this target)

• Melee Range Auto Attack/Target closest enemy

• Ranged Auto Shot if able

• Casting Serpent Sting (Change this with whatever you like)

#showtooltip Serpent Sting(Rank 2)
      /startattack
      /petattack
      /cast !Auto Shot
      /cast Serpent Sting(Rank 2)
3 Likes

120%, thx

/10

can you explain what the [noexists] [dead] [help] part does?

It means that it will try to target an enemy if you current target either:
[notarget] doesn’t exist — you have no current target
[dead] is dead — you current target is dead
[help] is friendly — your current target is friendly

So basically, if you already have an living enemy target it doesn’t do anything and you keep your current target. But if you don’t have a target, or your target is dead or friendly, it will target an enemy.