Human pride

Those nations fell AFTER they left the Alliance.

Speaking of nations, Kul Tiras was on the brink of being destroyed until the Alliance intervened.

There is no guarantee the Alliance would ever be enough to save a member race, however the good thing about having allies is you will have a place to turn to for support when the worse of the worse occur as oppose to going it alone.

None of those things are evil. Illidan murdered a ton of people even before you touch on the whole Betrayer thing, and the Highborne were caught using the same exact magic that caused them to blow up the world and kill/curse 90% of their own people just years prior. Kicking them to the curb was one of the nicer options the nelves went with.

Yes. He made a good tool.

Where did you get that idea?

Well, they do. They help players navigate from one Questhub to the next. At least, back when these zones were design, there was no golden arrow on your minimap telling you which direction to go. You would get a quest, and it would tell you “Follow the road in this direction” and that is how you had to navigate.

Would not having a road break the game? I don’t think so, but I think people would get lost a lot more frequently than they already did back in vanilla.

Personally, I don’t think Kaldorei use roads, at least not far outside major living spaces. At most, you might see a game trail.

Uh, Silvermoon was part of the Alliance when it went down, then the Alliance betrayed them via Garithos and subsequently kicked their ambassadors to the curb (they stuffed them in Nethergarde Keep in Vanilla, and pretty much ignored them).

As for Arathi, that just got flattened in the Second War - they didn’t leave the Alliance, they got crushed as part of it.

As for Gilneas, they were pretty much left alone until Cataclysm, at which point they did join the Alliance - and I should yank this point back somewhat because Gilneas did receive aid, although Forsaken questing makes clear that the Gilneans largely took their country back themselves.

As for its current status, eh, we’d have to know it before we could say more.

Well, not really. They left before the Scourge attacked. They tried to rejoin under Garithos.

Then why are their representatives in the Lordaeronian throne room in the WC3 intro cinematic? Why did they send units into Lordaeron to help to investigate the plague? Why were High Elves part of Arthas’s and Jaina’s forces? That looks like contribution and integration to me.

Silvermoon was destroyed by Arthas. Long before the blood elvez rejoined.

Stormgarde left AFTER the second war and was destroyed from within by their prince/external threats.

And when the worgens/forsaken came knocking they had no one helping them and only lucked out the night elves were willing to save them and only later did they get back their city because the War with Garrosh was over and most of the Forsaken/Horde forced left.

See above, re: Silvermoon

Re: Stromgarde. They contributed a brigade during the Third War. Past that, I’m not sure that the Alliance was in a position to do anything about their internal affairs given everything that was going on - again, not exactly a point in its favor.

Re: The worgen - your description is at odds with how Forsaken Silverpine questing ends.

Because some high elves remained true to the Alliance even after their race’s official withdrew from the Alliance(hence why high elves are still members of the Alliance to this day). Mostly high elves living in Dalaran.

That doesn’t seem to jive with the Silvermoon representative being in the Lordaeron throne room participating in a discussion regarding the plague. If Silvermoon withdrew, why would that guy have been there?

I also kind of feel like the High Elves got burned pretty hard by Lordaeron’s inability to manage its little pandemic there.

Are you talking about Warcraft 3 opening cinematic? I dont recall there being a silvermoon representative. None of the representatives actually had a name as far as I recall.

Also the high elves left long before Warcraft 3 had even started.

Yes, I am talking about that cinematic. Silvermoon’s representative believes that the sickened populations should be quarantined, Teranas dismisses this because he doesn’t want his people to be prisoners in his own kingdom.

It wouldn’t have helped of course - the plague was being spread via grain, and that’s a concern I’m sympathetic with as we near the one-year anniversary of 15 days to stop the spread, but it was there, and it further interferes with this idea that Silvermoon went down because it wasn’t part of the Alliance. In point of fact, they got attacked because of the issues going on within its strongest nation, and it’s not as though everyone else went “well, sucks for you Silvermoon, you wouldn’t be getting scourged now if you cooperated with us more” - the entire institution had broken down at its core.

Funny, you’d think closing your borders would assist in containing the spread of a plague. :eyes:

No idea. Keep tabs?

They wanted to help. Chronicle 3 specifically addresses this in light of ‘they sent help despite not being members’. I can get the quote when I get home.

For Jaina, those were refugees. For Arthas, I imagine High Elves that were citizens of Dalaran.

Again, I can give you specific quotes about them leaving when I get home.

Fair enough - either way, it’s hard to argue that Silvermoon went down because it left the Alliance. As mentioned before, the issue came from internal issues in the Alliance’s largest and most powerful nation - not because something attacked Silvermoon and the Alliance sat on the sidelines.

I also do want to add, because my tone has been a bit harsh here. None of this is to say that humanity is necessarily in some sense bankrupt, but it is to say, bringing things back to the current situation that there are no friends in geopolitics, only competing or complementary interests. The principle undergirding an Alliance between the Night Elves and Stormwind is mutual protection, and because Stormwind’s geopolitical interests really don’t align with the Night Elves, and because they are so far away, we can see how the Night Elves don’t get anything out of this deal, and instead are asked to contribute (and to their detriment) to causes and concerns that aren’t their own. That’s the sort of situation where an Alliance no longer makes sense.

Blizzard seems to think they are.

Nevertheless, the Alliance ultimately won the Second War, and most of the vanquished orcs were rounded up and put into internment camps. In the war’s aftermath, the cost of rebuilding was significant, particularly when added to the cost of maintaining the internment camps. Without a common enemy, the human nations began bickering over territorial claims. The high elves began to doubt the value of the Alliance. Humanity seemed to need the high elves, but had little to offer in return, especially now that many Alliance resources went toward maintaining the internment camps.

At last Anasterian rescinded the high elves’ allegiance to the Alliance. He stated that the humans’ poor leadership had been directly responsible for the burned forests in the borderlands of Quel’Thalas. King Terenas Menethil argued that nothing of Quel’Thalas would have survived if not for the hundreds of valiant humans who gave their lives to defend it. Despite his attempts at reestablishing diplomatic relations, however, the elves opted to remain independent of the crumbling Alliance. Their departure triggered the additional secession of the Gilneas and Stromgarde nations.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Warcraft_Encyclopedia/High_Elves

Some high elves chose to remain with their allies in the Alliance instead of returning to their kingdom.[[23]]

Supposedly from the World of Warcraft: Ultimate Visual Guide, Updated and Expanded.

Defeat of the Amani

While the Alliance was besieging Blackrock Spire, King Anasterian led efforts to drive the Amani trolls from Quel’Thalas. The battles were costly, but the elves managed to secure their homeland. In the years to come, Anasterian would withdraw from the Alliance, accusing it of abandoning the high elves in their most desperate hour. Not all high elves believed that, but enough did.

Chronicle 2 Page 173

The high elves of Quel’Thalas were the first to leave the Alliance. The human nations of Gilneas and Stromgarde soon followed. They had always believed they were better off on their own, and the “incompetence” of Lordaeron only seemed to confirm it.

Chronicle 3 Page 34

The other Alliance nations could hardly believe the news coming out of Lordaeron. None of them had ever imagined that such a nightmare scenario could come to pass. Most were unprepared to deal with it, but that didn’t stop them from trying. Magi from Dalaran, dwarves from Ironforge and Aerie Peak, gnomes from Gnomeregan, and soldiers from neighboring human kingdoms converged on Lordaeron to vanquish the Scourge. Even Quel’Thalas, which had cut its ties to the Alliance, dispatched high elf priests to help defeat the undead.

Chronicle 3 Page 55

2 Likes

I love the Idea that the rest of the Alliance is supposed to leave it self vulnerable to Horde attacks send its forces to the other side of the world which hold little interest to them just for the Nightelves. The Alliance has sent the support it can muster to send but the fact the elves isolated themselves from potential allies like the tauren is their own fault. They’re own isolation has lead them being an easy target by other Nations.

Night elf players act as if they are the more important than the rest of the Alliance and they’re needs should come first. I reckon night elves should be put at the bottom of the list of Alliance races that need help taking back their home. Lets get Gnomergon back for the gnomes, Gilneas back for the worgen. Lordearon and other human kingdoms back for the rest of the Human refugees.

Once that is all done then we can help the elves.

I mean, if you want to make this argument, fine. I’m sure Stormwind wouldn’t like to be sending forces to assist the Kaldorei, and BFA proved that they won’t.

But if that’s the case then the Kaldorei have no business being in the Alliance, or contributing to its objectives. As mentioned previously in this thread, being part of the Alliance painted a target on the Night Elves’ back, and attempting to assist the Alliance by sending forces to Silithus was what left them vulnerable to the greatest and most shocking loss they’ve yet experienced. They took the trust fall and the Alliance chose not to catch them. Then it wouldn’t even help them up.

So, Tyrande went back to Kalimdor herself. Genn did provide assistance, but going forward, it makes sense that Tyrande wouldn’t reply to Anduin’s missives and would seek to distance herself from the Alliance because it’s demonstrated itself to be a failed institution.

But, of course, you’re talking about the players, which is where I have to bring up this thread, and some of the data discussed within it:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/the-odd-myth-of-the-night-elf-golden-decade/874617

Just as Tyrande doesn’t have to support an Alliance that doesn’t support her, Night Elf players don’t have to pay for a game that isn’t interested in being fun for us - and many have chosen not to. Franchise wide? On the whole, search interest in WoW is almost as low as it’s ever been, and the most recently reported quarter of ATVI’s financials disclosed that Blizzard’s Monthly Active Users (MAUs) across all franchises are down to 30 mm, which is the lowest that they’ve ever reported despite factors like the global pandemic which should drive numbers up. That’s why Blizzard got restructured in 2019. That’s why ATVI brought in a fixer team more recently. Will it work? Hard to say, but I can say pretty certainly that it’s going to be a lot harder if Blizzard insists on ruining the enjoyment of large playerbase segments and then not fixing it. Not just us of course, but we’re a stakeholder group.

So, if you want dwindling resources as we dance with the possibility of Activision deciding they can get a better ROI elsewhere, sure, fold your arms and say no to any fixes. See how that goes for you.

You do realise that Genn is a member of the Alliance right, him offering his assistance means they night elves got assistance from the Alliance as he is a member. Not to mention every other time the Night elves have gotten assistance in some form from the Alliance.

Your Issue with this story is simply Anduin being in charge and calling the shots which I agree with is just bad writing. If you take Anduin out of the situation the Night elves got the support they asked for from the Alliance just not the Nod from the “high king”.

You wouldn’t be happy if the Alliance rolled up in force and Human soldiers were building forts and Pushing out the Horde from Night elves territory. Humans saving the poor wittle night elves from the big bad Horde would probably have Night elf players raging even more.

Stop pretending like your issue is the Night elves have little reason to be in the Alliance. Your issue is simply the Night elves aren’t a super power in their own right and aren’t able to take both factions by themselves. Night elves aren’t ever going to be their own faction just like forsaken aren’t either. So your gonna have to live with this or quit the game.