How would you implement Blademaster?

I always thought Arms warrior IS the Blademaster, but if they were to actually add the class, I think it should be a 2h spec on Monk

Mail class where the class chestpiece is hidden, like Hunters’ shoulders.

Uses 2H Swords, Axes, Polearms, and Staves for the primary spec, which is the DPS one. Takes the bleed mastery stuff from Arms. Focuses on short channeled skills that do great damage and have the range of a polearm even if the weapon itself is not a polearm. Maybe slightly longer. Make the spec be patient, but worthwhile.

Tank spec would use 1H Swords, Axes, and Daggers, and use two at once. Focus would be spent on Parrying, rather than Blocking, and utilize a form of damage reduction similar to Brewmaster Monk–a kind of Stagger that instead would be based on Parry Rating. Start off with full Parries, then “Partial Parries”, where damage is reduced and half of the reduced damage (maybe 1/4th?) is redirected to the enemy. Focuses on DoTs like a bleed and Fire damage–kind of like a blend of Outlaw, Brewmaster, and Assassination but with Fire damage instead of Nature. Perhaps the DoTs could play a role in their Resource regeneration.

No third spec.

1 Like

I thought Blademaster was a rogue hero?

Arms warrior has the most bland and poorly defined class fantasy. It is by far the most fitting to make the full transition to Blademaster.

5 Likes

thats what ive always thought.

Arms is just… there. (its my main spec btw)

lore wise though? I dont get it. I feel everyone, to a point, lore wise is a fury warrior that is a warrior.

Arms making full transition to blademaster is perfect… but gameplay wise I think it fits monk more… at least when I think of samuro

The other problem is for any other class you would have to add a 4th spec which is much less likely then simply transitioning the one poorly defined warrior spec (which already uses 2 handed weapons and has the most defining Blademaster ability). You can’t just give ww monk a sword and call him Blademaster because you will always need a iconic hand to hand monk spec if you are going to have a monk class at all.

if this doesn’t happen in 9.0 i give up on the spec

even it’s description isn’t accurate; we use the same mobility fury has access to because both have to talent double time

it doesn’t use overpowering strikes, it uses bleeds. the whole thing is a lie

1 Like

ouch that hurts but youre 100 percent right

I would give every class a hero spec and warrior would get Blademaster. Hero spec could just be the ability to pick any and all skill from all your specs and hybrid the crap out of your class. Would be way more fun then they are now.

Otherwise it would be more of a Samurai type spec. Two-handed weapon, preferably swords. It would have armor pen and bleeds. Maybe have a multistrike stat also.

2 Likes

fury fits the class fantasy 100%. they have done a great job making it play exactly how the description reads. they can pull it off for sure, but we won’t be seeing anything mid-expac

I like this idea, but personally i’d change it because blizzard needs to push boundaries.

Uses 2H Swords, Axes, Polearms, and Staves for the primary spec

I say 2h swords and polearms, only, as he’s a blademaster. Axes are sharp but not classed as blades. They don’t fit the Martial God image of a Blademaster. IMO. Staves do, but once agian, blade master.

Obviously, they could transmog. But I’d want to be nit picky about this if possible. If they could use those weapons, I’d say make a “Weaponmaster” class, rather than a Blademaster. Give him a ball and chain, let him “death grip” with it, and or tether opponents to him, lowering their speed by 50% until they come within 5 ft of the Weaponmaster. Then let him wield any combination of weapons he wants. - Anyway.

I’d say no to this as well. If anything, take the old sword mastery from arms. (Attacks can proc for duplicates)

Love this idea. It could work like Rampage for Fury, or whatever it’s called. Or blade dance from DH. Sequential multi-hit attacks. Could make it forcibly root targets if it actually has a cast time or other players would just walk out of it. (think FoF without a snare/stun)

I would want lots of flashy animations. Like Pandaren Warrior before losing all their animations with the legion changes. Pandaren warrior had the most fluid, beautiful animations. Like a dance.

this is where I would want blizzard to push boundaries. Design a half-sword animation set for a 2h weapon. Where one hand is on the blade, one hand is on the hilt. It’s a defensive style of wielding a sword, more like a pole arm. This was done in history, although with wow’s gigantic weapons it might not work. Just something I’d love to see.

Love all this.

1 Like

It exists…arms warriors.

For the record, when I say small channeled attacks, I refer to how Slam was in… Mid-Cata, I think? I swear there was a point that Slam had an incredibly brief channel before it hit. For issues with PvP, I was thinking the increased range could assist, or instead it actually hits in a cone, and if the enemy was in range the moment the skill was pressed, then it would count as a hit even if they jumped behind you.

I’m glad you like the rest of the idea! I personally would call the DPS Spec Bushido, and the Tank Spec Daimyo. Daimyo could be a mixture of the Parry-Stagger mechanic, and cooldowns could be based on the use of flags (Like Warrior in Mists was heavily using) with shouts.

Meanwhile, Bushido’s cooldowns could be more focused on movement-based attacks–kind of like how you bring up Demon Hunters. A kind of Fel Rush-style attack that does sweeping big damage on a decently sized CD I feel would be very cool. Of course, there would have to be an Iajutsu attack.

That’s about all I have, though.

They can be real sticklers for race/class lore.

How would you justify any race other than Orc being a Blademaster?

They already did.

He has Mirror Image, so he’s definitely a Blade Master.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Breaking_Mirrors

We have reports dat Telaamon, de Lightforged in charge of dis attack, can create mirror images of himself to strike us down.

It had a cast time in vanilla. I think cata is when they removed it. There might have been a talent that did it before that. Or a proc.

Yeah I was actually thinking what races would fit and Draenai were the first that came to mind.

Of all the races, I could only see these fitting the play-style.

Orcs
Draenai
Pandas
Dwarves (maybe)
Tauren (maybe)

I would not implement a Blademaster class. There are too many melee DPS specs as it is.

However, I also wouldn’t implement any new classes. I would implement new specs. Dark Ranger? Hunter Spec. Bard? Rogue Spec. Chronomage? Mage Spec. Necromancer? Priest Spec. Etc…

To do this, they would have to give Arms Warrior a Stealth type skill and Mirror Image type skill.

Wind Walk
Allows the Blademaster to become invisible, and move faster for a set amount of time. When the Blademaster attacks a unit to break invisibility, he will deal bonus damage.

Mirror Image
Confuses the enemy by creating illusions of the Blademaster and dispelling all magic from the Blademaster.

http://classic.battle.net/war3/orc/units/blademaster.shtml

1 Like

Yeah it was cast time vanilla-wotlk, in wotlk fury had a talent to proc it instant and either arms or fury had a talent to reduce cast time throughout.