How would you buff enhancement shaman’s aoe?

I really like the way enhance’s elementalist build is designed and feels right now. My only complaint is that we get gapped massively on pulls above 6 targets.
To lessen that gap without ruining what the class has going well and without making it busted, i think the bonus aoe damage from crash lightning, where stormstrike and lava lash do additional damage to all targets, could be doubled.
What does the community think?

1 Like

tl;dr make fire nova a button worth pressing

2 Likes

This would be an excellent way to do it. Have Hailstorm be the go for single target and cleave, and let Fire Nova be nasty on actual aoe along with increasing the target count for flame shock.

If it weren’t a choice node would be great, but that might push enhance a little too far into OP territory tbh. Fire nova still does decent damage.

Blockquote raise the target cap on flame shock

This would impact prim wave’s lightning bolt and haste buff, and the balancing would cost us in lower-target situations.

Making fire nova not a choice node would help but i still think buffing the crash lightning bonus damage would fix the high-target aoe without requiring reworks or significant tuning

**also i’m on my phone and not super familiar with the forums, so please excuse the failed attempt to quote a comment

1 Like

I heard a wise man once say that Ice Strike should be a choice node with a talent that simply increases your Flame Shock target cap by a few and also increase its tick rate… and then you would just take Fire Nova as it is now.

Ez pz.

1 Like

I agree with you. I’d say crash is the way to go if Fire Nova continues to be a choice node with Hailstorm. As it is now, taking Fire Nova makes you lose out on alot of single target and low target cleave pulls/bosses in a dungeon. I’d think having crash uncapped would be a good fit for us by still allowing for us to contribute meaningfully to mass pulls but still have the niche of nuking the everloving hell out of the scary mobs in the pack while people are padding on stuff that honestly doesn’t matter like larvas in WM, lashers in both AA and EB, the blobs on the dragon packs before the 3rd boss of Fall.

2 Likes

Increase chain cap to 6.

Make crash lighting buff apply throughout the whole duration of crash, and remove the target soft cap on crash. With 6 targets that would be 120 % crash damage for the whole duration. This will solve enhance issues at high targets. No questions. 1 target 20%, 2 40%, 3 60%, 4 80%, 5 100%, 6 120%.

Other than that, fire nova could use some help, to lose that much st damage compared to frost shock it needs to do immense aoe, but it doesn’t, even then, even if it did immense aoe i would rather use frost shock. The st loss is too much, and frost shock does good aoe anyway, and i would rather keep it that way, than have super strong nova, and shock nerfed.

But low target aoe, enhance is actually a beast. Up to 6 targets basically.

1 Like

Yeah, def agree, and i really wouldn’t want high-target aoe if it came at the expense of our 6-target value. I agree with your suggestion about increasing the cap and the way the buff duration works as an alternative, though it seems a little more complex to implement than just doubling the bonus damage.

I do miss the MoP, bursty, fire nova fiesta version of enhance, but i prefer having smoother throughput rather than massive cd’s tbh. And fire nova, even in everbloom, doesn’t return value over frost shock, as you said.

Glad a few others agree that crash lightning is potentially an easy tool to fix enhance’s aoe balance - the lack of invites is why i gave up pushing rating for the season, and high-target damage is literally the missing puzzle piece.

1 Like

Crash is the most logical solution.

Not too strong, not too weak. Works for everything.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that require retuning prim wave’s lightning bolt and haste buffs, though? As a consequence, that would weaken us in low-target aoe, unless i’m missing something. They’d also have to weaken lashing flames to balance it, i think, unless they bake in an If clause for specifically “if this talent is taken”

What you suggested could maybe work as a choice node with lashing flames, actually…but i still think the consequence of altering how prim wave works is too steep a cost

Hey that was my idea!

The general thought was you would have (2) distinct builds. 1 for lower pull count AOE/single target in ice strike and the other for larger pulls.

The caveat being that they would absolutely need to tune down our lavalash resets if that happened otherwise our funnel would be absolutely wild. The prim wave stuff I don’t see as a problem with tbh because our damage in an aoe setting would transition from a smooth straight line with ice strike to a peak/valley playstyle where we would be loaded in our primwave and nova CD windows and would fall off a bit once those go off.

Another way they could tune it is to make it so that nova consumes the flame shock so that it’s a minigame of spreading flameshocks to prep for the next damage window which would reduce the emphasis of spreading lashing flames. I don’t personally like this one as much, but it’s an option.

I think it’s important to remember that part of the concern for primwave comes from our current tier set. Future tier sets may or may not have the same issues. so it would allow the talent modification to have some opportunity for longevity. I mean, imagine having these talent changes and then have a tier set that says all targets with flame shock pulses in an aoe every time lavalash hits a target with flameshock and then the 4 pc being something like lava lash used against targets with flame shock guarantees (1) lava lash windfury. So the idea is that you’re essentially causing a bunch of mini fire novas every time you lava lash and you’re creating a feedback loop of more flame shocks = more lava lashes = more mini fire novas, etc.

Was this reply to the person suggesting that ice strike should be a choice node with increased flame shock target cap?

yes it was

Gotcha. The person you were replying to may not have been notified/seen it, then. @tehra the above commenter likes your solution

I dont play Enhancement so keep that in mind, but i want a sword and board DPS spec. At least one side of the Enhancement tree.

Storm cleave is missing the pieces of consistency in talent build because it can’t AOE and completely rely on RNG. The talent for storm is completely lack of flexible.

• Make Molten Assault become 1 point from 2 points, it allows for storm to have Molten Assault and get Fire Nova / Hailstorm.
  • Make Fire Nova a button worth pressing. If you take Fire Nova, you lose ALOT ST damage and you may do tank damage with it. It’s not worth to taking Fire Nova because your ST and cleave is going to be really bad.
  • Increase Chain Lightning cap to 6.
  • Rework Converging Storms into Tomb of Sargeras set bonus (T20). Current Converging Storms is one of the worst talents in the entire tree because it does nothing in both ST and AOE. You can stack buff from SS that made your next Crash Lightning cast do big damage.

Molten assault could definitely become a 1 talent point frankly speaking, and why doesn’t it spread to 5?? Why do you have to press 2 lava lashes to get to the target cap?

I honestly love the way enhance plays right now and even though I mainly PvP I have read that the damage is good in PvE.

The main things I would put on a wish list would be for the storm build to be more competitive with the elemental build, and also another layer of defense because I feel like that’s all that’s really holding enhance back in PvP.

Maybe do something with feral lunge. Buff it, make it baseline, add more functions to it. Something.

1 Like

It does feel fantastic right now. That’s part of why i think tweaking the target count of flame shock is a worse option, since it would require retuning the way prim wave and lightning bolt do damage.

I used to love feral lunge! Gust of wind fills a similar role but i was sad to realize i couldn’t fit lunge into a build anymore

2 Likes

I personally don’t feel like spreading flame Shock is an issue at all for enhance. Ele on the other hand feels horrible to spread flame Shock.

If enhance needs more aoe damage or better aoe profiles I would prefer to focus on fire nova and crash lightning / chain lightning. Fire nova specifically seems far too weak currently to consider taking. And it was a very fun spell back in WoD. Maybe a reduced cooldown and a damage boost is in order?

1 Like