How will classic affect retail server population?

People will still play Retail. There are still a lot of people who have no interest in Classic.

It’s going to be very intetesting to see how it turns out. I think the majority of the long term Classic population quit modern WoW long ago, or at least they quit playing it on a consistent basis.

But I also think there will be a significant number of BFA players who try Classic and won’t be able to stop playing it, because they will quickly come to the realization that it’s just a much better designed game in virtually every way.

It will go up and down. As new content gets released people will go try it out.

There might actually be a large number of people who love Classic but are fully nostalgic about it… when they play they realize they dont want that play style but give retail a try and choose to stay for that.

1 Like

I think most people used CT Raid Assist, which performed a similar function.

DBM is better though isn’t it?

What content will these 6 phases be offering?

Classic’s endgame is its weakest aspect and I don’t see it holding onto people for very long beyond its niche audience, especially when there are so many more options out there than there were 15 years ago.

Neither does Blizzard, actually. Hence why layering is a thing for the first couple weeks of Phase 1.

Also, this article:

LINK_https://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

“I think there will be a lot of tourists,” he adds. "But it doesn’t matter what I think because once we’re committed to doing this at a Blizzard level, which we are, whatever happens is going to happen. If millions of people show up and play for years, that’s awesome. And if just tens of people show up and play for years, we’re fine either way. What’s important to us is that we have this Classic experience people can enjoy, that people do have the opportunity to go back to. This is an important game in videogame history and there’s not a way to go back and experience that today. This is also about preserving something that we think is really important.

2 Likes

I fully expect Classic to have more players than retail for the 1st few weeks because the leveling is genuinely done well, but the end game is so different and I feel that will kill the experience for many people.

If Blizzard and I are wrong, oh well.

1 Like

We’ll see.

I’m just trying to fight against people who are trying to change the implications of the quote I posted. I want Classic to stick around as it is, I don’t want expansions or seasons or anything tacked onto it. That ruins the whole point of having it in the first place imo and at that point, you might as well play pservers.

Umm, we had addons in Vanilla…

And retail we keep sub bleeding. Every expansion since Cata has been a loss in subs. So it’s a slowly sinking ship.

There is content set up for PvE and PvP for each phase and I will grab those list when I have a chance. Are you not aware of this?

PvE content plan for the 6 phases it’s literally stickied but here ya go.

PvP content plan for the 6 phases

Ok but the end game isn’t until late 2020 sometime in regards to content. Then for me Endgame is having BiS gear and farming HK’s all day. Getting rank 14 etc. I just want to log in and kill players that is end game for me and a lot of people. Even after the content is done the endgame continues for many with their mains. Then of course there is alts and Twinks.

So there is Years of content for mains then what journey you want to do next.

I played Diablo 2 for 6 years before WoW and well I didn’t need content to log in every day. Just needed a great game to immerse myself in. That is what Classic offers. There is always another journey in the game.

2 Likes

Spoken like a true retro gamer. The intended audience of Classic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, you could count all of them on one hand, that’s how many of them there were, and how many people used them.

I played in Vanilla but don’t remember if i used one or not, possibly one for healing on my priest, and it wasn’t until the tail end of Vanilla that addons arrived.

Nowadays? Everyone uses them, and they’re required.

If classic is what its being all touted about, I will def stay subbed.

I had friends I invited to play vanilla who quit by 20-30 because of the slow speed of running everywhere.

The exact same thing will happen in Classic. People will be like, “screw this, I can go back to flying everywhere,” rather than walk another 10-20 levels.

People talking about ‘hype’ and all that have only their feels to make a judgement on, and really should just be disregarded.

Classic has an audience, and it will be at least 50-100k people once things level out. But people thinking it’s going to be eating away at retail are seriously beyond delusional.

Most people want to keep the characters they’ve had for years, and the collections and achievements they’ve earned, and flying, and convenience. Anyone saying otherwise is, again, delusional and just letting their personal feels dictate their world view.

Lol, you make a good point, but walking everywhere until 40 is what makes this version of the game world feel large. I for one love that about Vanilla. When you got something, your mount, BiS gear it felt rewarding, unlike what the game has become.

I’ll never touch retail again, especially is it is successful and BC servers come out.

I was completely content primarily just pvping in vanilla. I just found it to be intrinsically fun, even if I didn’t get many fancy rewards. I expect it will be similar this time around as well, except I’ll probably be giving raiding a shot this time around.

I haven’t even touched retail since Classic came out.
Not saying I never will. I just haven’t.

1 Like