How well would this work?

So did you order your third upgrade yet?

I mean, lets be real here. Most Intel users skipped skylake and kabylake generations anyway. And if you already had at least a sandybridge, I don’t pity you for buying anything anything up to kabylake because you were dumb if you did.

I went from Core 2 Quad Q9450 in 2008 to an i5-4570 in early 2013…and used that until Coffeelake end of 2017.

Nearly 5 years in between each upgrade. Never experienced severe slowdown in gaming from either chip.

Upgrading every generation (or even every other) is really dumb for the vast majority of users.

A huge waste of money.

What’s up with intel and shortages, there’s one now too and it’s pushing a lot of smaller OEMs to AMD (not that that’s a bad thing)

GN was just talking about it.

Because rushed choices

Bad management

You can’t keep 14 nm going for long

See my edits.

It’s part of why I view upgrade path as a joke and only a marketing tool for you to feel good about buying upgrades you don’t need.

AMD is really good at that, at least

Can’t have it both ways

You want more 14nm or do you want them to shift focus to 10nm?

It would be like Nvidia overproducing Pascal cards last year just prior to Turing.

They are behind right now in the low/mid-range consumer enthusiast market

May as well cut losses, focus on what they know they will sell (k chips), and ramp up production/resources to 10nm.

Uhh… none of those things?

They took two 14nm fabs down to prepare 10nm and 7nm. The dont just build a completely new fab for each node. They retool existing ones. And it takes years.

Thats the begining and end of why.

2 Likes

AMD is the people’s processor.

Why they don’t just have a hammer and sickle on their box art is beyond me.

1 Like

Oh yea its taking them years to do 10nm alright

They been saying 10 nm will be out soon for years :laughing:

2013, The initial expectation for 10nm was 2015 launch and here we are in 2019 they still struggling

Yet Intel’s own R&D department, which has twice or even 3 times as much as global foundries or TSMC, still can’t figure out how they can get 10nm to work

yet TSMC got it down right with 7nm and now AMD is releasing 7nm Ryzens in 2-3 months :smile:

1 Like

Youre literally talking past me. Im not talking about development time, im talking the time it takes to retool a fabrication facility. Usually 3-4 years. Building an entirely NEW fab (which they are also doing, one in the US, and one in Ireland) takes 5-8 years depending on size.

But hey, keep willfully misreading things and shilling hard for AMD. And ignore the inconvenient fact that TSMCs 7nm is actually larger than Intels 10nm and they can only get away with calling it 7nm because a tiny portion of the chip is 7nm.

I mean, why let facts get in the way of your feels?

1 Like

I was following what you were saying up until here, after that it just kind of went down hill. Although I will admit that it was really informative. Personally I think Intel will still have issues because they are producing higher core count cpu’s and there’s only so many silicon wafers they can produce. It’s not like they planned and engineered their process for high core counts like AMD did either.

AMD is just gluing together quad cores, while Intel is making monolithic 8, 10, 12, and 28 core cpus.

That’s why they are building more fabs. A fab is a production facility. They cost in the Billions (yes, with a B) to build, and even to renovate. A lot of the building/fab can be re-used (once you’ve set up the interior to be a “clean” environment, for instance, that expense is already paid for), but the actual production part cannot.

You cant just press a button and have a 14nm fab start producing 10nm parts. They have to gut the entire building, basically, and start over, re-tooling the place to work on 10nm.

Thats why there is a 14nm shortage - two of their plants/fabs, have been taken down and are in the process of being retooled for 10nm and 7nm. They are also constructing a brand new fab facility here in the US, and one in Ireland.

Sure they did, they just planned to keep those as HEDT or server parts instead of consumer parts. AMD has forced them to rethink that. Which, IMO, is good for competition, even if most of that additional power trickling down to the consumer stack is pointless and wasted.

Both ways have their benefits and downfalls.

Dont get me wrong, as much as i rag on You, its because he’s a braindead shill for AMD, recommending them even when they aren’t the best choice…

But im not an Intel fanboy. Im not an anything fanboy. I will always recommend what is best for the application at hand. If someone comes in here with a “i need a 600$ build” then currently that build is going to have a Ryzen chip in if i recommend it, because AMD has dominated the low-end.

I realize the intel shortage may not last forever. What I was pointing out is that AMD clearly has a superior design when it comes to producing higher core count cpu’s. It’s always going cost Intel more to match AMD in core count unless they invent their own new design.

Intel has their own fabs

AMD contracts out

Big difference.

Intel and AMD can both be done with designs but Intel has to set up everything to make the chips, whereas AMD finds someone else to make them for them.

It takes longer to do the former.

1 Like

It’s the design Salgeron, AMD doesn’t really make an 8 core cpu; it’s 4+4 instead. It’s easier to produce 4 cores and connect them with infinity fabric. Intel is still making 6, 8, 10, and 28 core cpus. Even if AMD ran their own fabrication shops, it still wouldn’t cost them as much to produce their chips as it does for intel.

The intel design is done.

It’s yield on the fabs thats taking time.

:smirk:google with the best computer to play World of Warcraft 2019 :smirk: