How was this Wowhead article approved for publishing?

No muppet, my take is that it took 17 years for Blizzard to see a problem, and they are still not seeing the whole picture and are continuing to have blind spots and are continuing to exploit racial sterotypes in their fictional races that are wholesale based on real-world races and cultures.

Because they have had and continue to have a dude-bro culture.

Probably gonna be set on fire for this. Gonna jump into the fray. Waaagh!

Is the ability to read and write the product of an advanced urban civilization? Some place where advanced education is practiced? Since people are focused on the troll people, I would assume the Zandalari have schools to teach the young ones to read an write at a basic level as opposed to some of the jungle tribes.

Even in advanced cultures, there are those that are illiterate. I have to read my neighbors mail to him as he cannot read all that well and just recognizes a few words.

2 Likes

No, nowhere close. To equivocate them would be to either denigrate the concept of genocide to “some people in a few big cities” when everyone else remains alive, or admit that Teldrassil itself isn’t important at all and very few nelves would be there to burn.

So they saw this problem, and rectified it, but you still would prefer to see trolls/orcs/goblins/etc as analogs for POC rather than Human POC? Again, weird take. Also, I love the muppets.

We see tablets in Stranglethorn. Trolls not being able to read is only in this book.

1 Like

The Trolls, Orcs and Tauren and the whole Horde with the exception of Blood Elves and Forsaken ARE based on POC cultures and races and Blizzard finally adding more inclusive racial features to humans two decades later does not change that in the slightest.

1 Like

Hello, I see you replied to the thread. I believe you are confusing “all trolls” with “a troll.” Based on this thread alone, maybe they based the story around the WoW forums since apparently hardly anyone here knows how to read!

Thanks for your post and have a great day!

Yes, it’s almost as if there’s this entire tribe of trolls that are a ruling class of sorts, responsible for most artifacts. They rule from a sort of Pyramid and have a written and oral history tradition and often move down with dictates to what they perceive as their inferior kin.

1 Like

How obvious would the stereotype have to be for people to notice? Would Blizzard have to have Ve’nari yell “Allahu Akbar.” or something?

I thought the tablets and ruins you find there are the product of the Zandalari Empire?

Why do you think Ve’nari would know of a Earth based religion ? Does Earth even exist in Azeroth’s universe ?

1 Like

All races are analogs of humans. Stormwind is just America with castles.

1 Like

You’re a troll and arguing in bad faith and I won’t engage with you.

I hope Blizzard bans you for that.

I think this is a pretty complex topic that needs to be—deserves to be—discussed in good faith and with a regard for nuance; even though it is happening on the internet.

If you don’t discuss it with those two things in mind, it’s simply pointless. If you also wish to charge the topic with aggression and snark, then you’re not helping the side of the debate you’re with, you’re just an …; so stop it, and let’s try and have a rational discussion with an aim for being positive and constructive.

My two cents:
It’s blatantly obvious to me that Blizzard have drawn on Native American culture for the Tauren.

It’s also obvious to me that Greek and Korean cultures have been drawn on for the creation of the Night Elves.

Orcs have elements of Japanese culture.

The Gilneans are reminiscent of the English.

Pandaren are almost wholly Chinese in influence; although they used to have a Japanese influence, too.

The Mogu draw on Japanese culture.

Kul Tiras is mainly Spain.

The Blood Elves have ottoman influences.

The… blah, blah, blah.

You get the point.

It’s all OBVIOUS, and for Blizzard to deny it (if they have. I haven’t seen evidence of that, to be honest), is laughable.

However, for me, a few key questions arise out of all of this that deserve an honest ponder:

• If the game’s races have real-world influences (they do), does that therefore mean that they are forever extensions—representatives—of the real world cultures they draw upon, or are they absolutely seperate once shipped—or can we (should we) just treat them as seperate?

• Is it even possible for a creator to NOT draw from the real world? In other words, can you even make a fictional race and NOT have a real world cultural influence to some degree?

• Does intent factor into this at any stage?

• Is it plausible that someone may see the Tauren—a race heavily influenced by Native American culture—do something horrible in-game and then go on to think that the actions of the Tauren are a reflection of Native American people? Conversely, if one does this, would that person be a member of a vast majority or a fringe minority?

I could go on, but I think they are some of the most important questions on this topic.

3 Likes

So which one depicts genocide more ? One,is real and the other imaginary each similar to each other to the mind it would be the same because they are similar. So by telling me it isn’t doesn’t change my mind it still exist the same,just not as impactful as if i witness it myself.

It is funny that people make correlations between human concept of racism, which is among human beings of a same species, that were incorrectly said to be races even by the already idiotic way people used to divide them, and transpose in a game that features creatures from different planets, different steps in evolution, different even “conditions of being sentient”, and trace parallels to further idiotic agendas.

But this is nothing new and should not come as a surprise to anyone.

This is what happens when you put revolutionary extremists in charge.

They re-write values of characters to suit their own.

I’m genuinely confused why you would think its bad faith to hold the belief that fantasy humans are analogs for regular humans. As for trolling, I’ve been respectful while you were for some reason immediately calling me “muppet” for some reason.

2 Likes

Yup, humans have been analogizing their own struggles with fictional stand ins for ages.

No…it really isn’t. Nothing about Stormwind is analogous to this country.