How to tame Ban'Thalos

My hunter is level 118 and Ban’thalos the bird in mount hyjal is 92, how can I tame him without killing him each time I try.

Fruit basket toy is what I use to aggro without hurting him.

8 Likes

Concussive Shot.

2 Likes

You can try a lvl 1 bow. If that does not weaken you enough fly way up into the air, dismount and die. Then rez from the spirit keeper for res sickness. Try to tame again.

This is the best answer. If you have concussive macro’d to a focus target macro so you won’t accidentally auto shot kill it

2 Likes

Use macro
If i remember correct then the macro is

/cast concussive shot
/stop attack

That means that use consussive shot w/o auto shot.

5 Likes

Also, don’t forget to take off your Neck to de-activate your Azerite Gear so any auto damaging abilities will not proc.

Also remove any and all Trinks that may auto proc and kill your tame.

Good Luck on your tame.

I might have given a bad answer.

There’s two ways to getting this bird. One (aka the gloriously elegant but newbie way) is to aggro him on the way down while falling, then hitting Disengage just before you hit the floor to avoid the falling damage, then tame.

The second way (aka “well, that’s stupid”) is to aim your flying mount over the single pixel of space on top of the highest tree you can find (fly up, then down until you ‘feel’ contact), dismount, do not move an inch, wait for the spawn, then hit concussive shot (40 yard range) OR tame beast (30 yard range) to aggro him. The thing is, you’re never going to get that pixel with the keyboard alone - you have to use your mouse to nudge your way into that spot.

But I thought the subject was being a 120 and not killing the bird though. Not the actual technique of getting it close enough

True. My bad.

Yeah i did this last night using this macro as a 120 hunter. Flew down with a glider to the mountain edge, otherwise he resets if you fall too far.

Good as gold and im pretty pleased with myself cos there was a gnome trying at the same time.

get naked and use a low lvl bow and autoattack only

Thank you very much. As an 120 hunter, I used this method and it makes him target you and you will not attack or kill him.

I positioned my character on top of the head/nose piece of the statue of Malorne, flew upwards, then dropped to make sure I was even and that my character wouldn’t “fall through” the statue. No falling through, so I mounted and flew up just a little higher then the trees behind the statue, and then I used the fruit basket to make him come down when I got in range of him. Using the fruit basket automatically dismounts you. I dropped in place waiting to be in range to tame him and then I tamed him! Thank you again!!!

PS: you must have the Sanctuary of Malorne rebuilt(when you have done quests from Nordrassil to the Sanctuary of Malorne reaching the daily: Collect World Tree tokens) for those who are asking.

2 Likes

As an 120 hunter, I used the Fruit Basket method and it makes him target you/ fly down and you will not attack or kill him.

I positioned my character on top of the head/nose piece of the statue of Malorne, flew upwards, then dropped to make sure I was even and that my character wouldn’t “fall through” the statue. No falling through, so I mounted and flew up just a little higher then the trees behind the statue, and then I used the fruit basket to make him come down when I got in range of him. Using the fruit basket automatically dismounts you. I dropped in place waiting to be in range to tame him and then I tamed him!

PS: you must have the Sanctuary of Malorne rebuilt(when you have done quests from Nordrassil to the Sanctuary of Malorne reaching the daily: Collect World Tree tokens) for those who are asking.

2 Likes

Very welcome glad to be of help.

3 Likes

my concussve shot kills everything…why is that. /cry even with the macro it one shot the bird, i am only 112. i 1 shotted the bird just now… how can i stop auto attack? that option is no longer available? must i get an addon?

Die and get res sickness and unequip all your gear except a low level ranged weapon.

Then proceed with what you tried originally.

Concussive shot kills him as well . just killed him using this and im pissed

If you are a 120 or close try using this toy instead.

Look up at Tarandra’s posts for how to do it. Worked 2x for me so far. Happy hunting!

3 Likes

Concussive Shot turns on auto attack. Concussive Shot itself deals no damage.

1. Create this macro, drop it in place of Concussive Shot on your action bar (you can just keep this and use it forever, it’s useful on it’s own):

#showtooltip
    /use [@mouseover,harm,nodead][@focus,harm,nodead][]Concussive Shot

2. Fly to the area. Target Ban’Thalos.

3. Set Ban’Thalos as your focus.

4. Clear your target.

5. Get into position (either the tree method, the fall out of the sky method, whatever).

6. Mash the macro WITHOUT targeting Ban’Thalos.

7. Type, in chat, /use [@focus]Tame Beast

Enjoy your new pet.

5 Likes