How to RP an elegant character

Asking on MG since it seems more alliance focused.

English isn’t my mother tongue, but I wanted to RP a sort of snobbish, elegant type character. But can I do it despite my limited vocabulary?

Sorry for bad English.

1 Like

Are you able to write descriptions with haughty looks, slight to moderate sneers, and general disdain?

If so, then I’d say you’ve got this.

It’s important to keep in mind that elegance and snobbishness are two different things. They can, of course, exist together as they often do; but you can also absolutely have one without the other. To be a snob, just have your character treat others as if she is superior. It might help to keep this behavior slightly subtle to avoid coming across as simply hateful and aggressive if you take it too far. That subtlety will also help you with the elegance angle, since someone who carries herself with refined grace would likely not allow a total breakdown of character during most interactions.

Now if it’s eloquence you’re talking about, that might be a little harder to pull off with a limited vocabulary, especially since it’s defined by having a certain mastery of words and expressing thoughts.

4 Likes

Allow me to tutor you on the finer points of gentrification. A little bow here or there provides an air and appearance of elegance, even without a vocal vocabulary. The second finer point of regality is to elaborate quite thoroughly one’s point in intricate but to the point sentences (parentheses may help in this regard barring a good grasp of language). A third finer point is to dress the part, as the saying goes: “Clothes make the man”, which is taken to mean that one’s clothes to a large degree beyond social status also convey a little bit of one’s overall personality more often than not. I do so hope you found this trio of tidbits most edifying and informative.

1 Like

Being english as a second language can be tough when seeking this kind of character, but not impossible! Here’s some ideas for striking the right flavor and feel.

https://www.thesaurus.com/ can be a huge friend! Write up some words you love or use alot. Then look them up for other words and options. Write them down, and toss them into your emotes and speaking.

Look up book and movie quotes. https://www.goodreads.com/ has a ton of great quotes folks save from books. This can give you ideas for how to write flowery or haughty.

Period and historic movies and tv shows are fantastic for elevated language and seeing the emotion of the actors. Downton Abbey, Bridgerton, The Crown, and so on are great examples.

2 Likes

If you want to RP as an elegant character or one who is snobby, absolutely be mindful of who your character associates with, is seen with, etc. That being said, you’ll likely be hard-pressed to find RP. Or maybe you’ll be more like that person who doesn’t like cats (figurative) and all the cats are attracted to you. Like moths to a flame.

RP is basically scripted, robotic notes you say when someone before you says what was written there so yeah you can. Just join guild and they will set you up for it.

Unless you like random RP like me, which is more fun because players build story as they talk, its all random.

Since Gwyneth isn’t here

Shut up, Aggressor.

3 Likes

I am new to RP, new to the server and speak English as a second language, so I can relate. Here is a possible path for those finding language barriers:

Look for a guild or a group of RPers that is/are predominantly of a race that is not the same race as your character. If you play [A], a dwarf in a human guild, o a human in a night elf guild. Playing [H], a blood elf in an Orc guild, you get the idea.

Implement the language barrier as part of your RP. Look in advance some keywords and make the lack of knowledge of YOUR language a weakness on their side. With proper dosage, that can range from being elegant, slightly arrogant all the way to completely derogatory and evil.

Open a notepad, word doc or any other app of your taste and start collecting phrases from others that make sense to you. Study their grammar. Get inspired by them mixing and matching statements with expressions. No need to copy and paste, go for the grammar structure but change the verbs and adapt.

Soon your English will be blended with the average native speaker, and the in game vocabulary will “bleed” into your daily
Life. Win-win.

A few of the things I do when I go for more elegant characters. When they gesture with their hands I tend to point out their their hands are delicate, soft, and well manicured. I also like to point out how well kept their hair is or how beautiful and clean their clothes look. As far as speech patterns, I go for proper and well spoken, sometimes using unusual word choices for them to highlight they are better educated. Since you want snobbish, make them critical and picky about things like wine and food. When they meet people, have them size them up based on how they look, act, and speak. Have them make comments that could be insults disguised as compliments. For example “Oh you’re wearing that? I see.” And maybe have them wrinkle their nose or poorly disguise a laugh. As far as English not being your mother tongue, give yourself time to practice with rp and it will get easier. I rp with a few people from other countries and that is what they’ve told me.