How to help struggling dps

For the warlock tell him when you reach a boss to set up a dunking bird on whatever key shadow bolt is key bound then go make a sandwhich.

3 Likes

Thank you! That explains some of it and would be something that would be worth bringing up. I’m sure it’s a knowledge gap in many places.

Try and convince the officers to allow PuGs to come to fill out the extra 15 IMO.

Ok, I lol’d. Thank you.

5 Likes

Good place to start. Might help us to recruit some people at the very least.

We have been struggling to get healers. We managed to down four bosses in AQ40 with only 9 healers. Viscidus and Huhuran simply can’t be done without a little more. We pugged BWL last night with the 28 we had on. Wound up recruiting a priest! It works. 100% tried and true.

1 Like

That’s pretty bad…is he just AFKing during the raids or something?

Don’t you just apply your designated curse then shadowbolt spam as a warlock anyways?

1 Like

I’ve learned that this is pretty much it, yes. Other than “designated curse”. That’s probably something that we need to work through. Nobody’s been organizing this stuff. As a healer, it’s a LONG way away from my realm of responsibility…

1 Like

Well I opened up an old log from a PuG back in Oct 1st, 2019 to see what an undergeared and inexperienced raid warlock might do for damage. With 5 warlocks on Magmadar and Golgemagg the worst was about 140 dps and best was 250 dps. One of the warlocks was downranking shadowbolt (lol wut?), one was conflag spec (fire), and the rest pulled 200 dps or more.

Like most specs warlock is very simple. Apply your curse and shadowbolt, or the extra complicated rotation of apply your curse, corruption, then shadowbolt and refresh corruption when it falls!

As a warlock, he’s probably too new to the class and try to drain Life/SL back his health from Life Tapping (like he’s leveling) instead of letting the healers heal him back up. I had a few locks that did this way back in the MC days. Just let him know to put his curse on and go to town with Shadowbolt and Life Tap.

It LOOKS like he’s applying some dots at teh start of the fight and then forgetting to refresh them later on. Hence the <50% uptime for most of it.

That’s a very good approach here. Especially coming from a healer. i can present it as a “don’t worry about your health, I got you man”. Benefits everyone without the risk of hurting feelings.

Really appreciate the input from people who have actually played a lock, it’s very helpful here!

70 DPS? Bruh. I don’t think we had a single raider in Vanilla doing that bad in our first raids…

If people don’t want to improve their parses they will be stuck wasting their time–and everyone else’s time–struggling to do the same, first-tier bosses over and over. I’m a min/maxer, and have always raided at the top level when investing myself into a guild, and that’s what I enjoy.

I would hate to drag as much as 39 other people down and waste their time because I have no interest in improving for everyone’s sake. Raiding is a team effort, and the less effort an individual puts the weaker the whole becomes. Raiding might be easy right now, but it’s still an investment of time. Our guild does 1h clears right now (and could easily push 45m or less), and I can’t imagine spending much more on that right now, even when we’re down 3+ players.

Remember: It’s not just one player’s time; it’s an entire raid investing those hours.

Really doesn’t take much digging to see if someone is putting in any effort. And I can understand guild leaders not wanting to tell people what spec/how to play their character, but that is NOT the same as calling someone out for half afking during raids. Any guild that raids and doesn’t want to call its members out for not even putting out any effort doesn’t sound like a guild I would want to be a part of.

Show him the warlock class discord, it has all the info he will need.

I literally can’t imagine what hes doing, outside of running the wierdest non-spec around. He should be doing much better just throwing up a curse and spamming sbolt.

This something I have been through myself. I was in a guild that had 10 DPS parsing in the grey. Along with the main tank being led the wrong way, and gearing for max defense, and not hit capping. the other DPS was in the low greens on Parses with only like 5 to 7 of us able to pull off 75% or better due to the low DPS.

I get your situation with RL and the time you need to raid. With that said the best thing to do is look for a guild that raids during your time frame. That has a good raid group. I left the guild I was with. I was with them from the start of Classic until April. I kept saying to myself something will happen and we will get some better players. That just never happened because no one wants to join a guild thats not clearing content. I made the jump, and it has been very rewarding. I would suggest the same to you.

This is a major problem. If your guild leader is allowing someone like this to raid then this guild would be doomed. Most other guilds out there would kick a player that could not take feedback. The guild leader/raid leader should know you have 40 players to keep happy, and when one comes along that has a toxic personality it will destroy a raid team in no time. So if the leader does not want to talk to this guy, or GKICK him then thats on the leader. I would not stick with that kind of leadership.

The best way is after a raid, and ask DPS to hang around. That you want to speak with them about trying to improve. Set up a time to get on discord with each one to speak to a class leader that has very good skills with DPS. Start asking what build they are running. Ask what their rotation is. Get as much info about their play style as you can. Then start working with them on mistakes they are making all the while giving them the reason why this new way is much better.

1 Like

I would agree with the above. But the issue goes beyond the single warlock. He just happens to be the lowest. There are 2 more in the sub 100 dps range averaged throughout all encounters, and then another handful between 100 and 150. That means a decent amount more time needed to work through it, particularly when you’re not familiar with most dps classes. I’ll put the time in if there will be follow up as 3-4 hour MC runs aren’t a lot of fun.

Find some one or some resource that explains how they are suppose to play their class if its a mechanical issue.

Have a look at their gear, look up what their stat allocations are suppose to look like, BiS lists are only good if you have the whole thing and some times do not perform as well as they could until you have the whole thing.

Look at what the ideal situation for that players class and spec is in terms of where they are suppose to be grouped, do they need certain raid buffs and debuffs on target to do maximum damage?

Are they using any consumables?

Are they using world buffs?

Are your tanks doing a good enough job? Is the boss spinning around randomly screwing up a dagger rogues ability to land backstab? or any melee’s ability to avoid getting parried by the boss?

Hows their time on target VS other of the same class spec?

These are the things you can look at, and its not always going to be the same problem for all the players.

Doesn’t change my stance. If you are in a guild that is trying to progress through content, and you have players that are putting out the bare minimum effort at the expense of everyone elses time/repair bills and the officers/guildleader don’t want to do anything about it, then I would find another guild. This is not the same as players not being min/maxed or parsing 99’s. This looks like more of an issue with people watching videos and alt+tabbing occasionally to cast a spell and roll on loot.

4 Likes

You know, I hadn’t even considered that to be a possibility…

I have actually seen people do this in PVP too, and when you confront them they give you some sort of BS excuse like “I dont have time for that” and makes me ask the question…

WHY ARE YOU EVEN PLAYING??

1 Like