How to get old warrior soul

This neck and the ring off The Nine are the two most-common drops for our guild in the raid, and it’s not very close. The distribution is absurd, really.

1 Like

Every week we get 3/4 necks off bosses that drop those. Remnant neck we usually get 3-4 drops on Mythic every week. Mythic Sylvanas 2-3 rings every week. It’s pretty dumb. I got Heroic Old Warrior’s Soul about 3 weeks ago and just now got a Mythic version through my vault. I had 12 kills of Mythic Sylvanas with 3 other people that could trade the trinket.

Loot drops are horrible and dreadful.

1 Like

I think I’ll just mention that before personal loot, when items used to be physically on the boss and not awarded to the player, they were split into a few categories and the same number from each category dropped every time.

You used to get X tier pieces (Comparable to Dom socket slots), Y jewellery, and Z other stuff (Trinkets / weapons). It might even have sub divided further but I always remember at least those 3 categories.

Because of how personal loot works, we lost that. Now the items that drop for every character (Necks rings cloaks) are disproportionately more common overall (Whilst still being equal drop chance per player).

2 Likes

I’ve had two alts get that neck out of the heroic raid box this week. What a gong show.

I’ve had the vault offer me the same shield three weeks in a row. A shield I chose from the vault the week prior. That’s fully within Blizzard’s capacity to control, but they think it’s ok to let an algorithm mechanically distribute rewards with the accuracy of a t-shirt gun in a cross wind.

I think the most damning thing about the Vault is how it only becomes worse with time.

The frequency of loot distribution needs to be far more sophisticated to ensure that players don’t encounter long periods with no payoff. When the vault should be working overtime to ensure that players don’t run into strings of disappointment, it has the opposite effect. It becomes more and more disappointing with each passing week.

Think about that for a second. Your reward structure gets WORSE with time, when it should be getting better. The longer we spend on something, the more likely we should be to getting a benefit from it. Not the opposite.

Hurst my head thinking about it.

2 Likes

guys i found out about the loot system for this current tier with dinar! I was able to get a heroic old warriors soul by just by purchasing it. this system is what was needed for a long time! i sure hope they keep it!

1 Like

bring back dinar system! such a good blp system. why is it gone?

This isn’t a short filler season like S4 was. They expect you to have several shots at the trinket you want and for you to keep hammering away at it until you get the piece you’re after. It’s not that I don’t agree that deterministic gearing would be more fun as I could play more alts with regularity by filling a checkbox and saying X character is “complete” for the season, but Blizz doesn’t really care if we are BiS in every slot.

There’s been some discussion towards this end recently. Disguised as a catalyst discussion. Should blizzard hold so tightly to their vision VS the way players want to experience the game.

I’m certainly not suggesting day 1 bis or anything, but a lot of players, not just the top 1% like many suggest, would like to play the game on their terms. Whether that be tier, drops or content path. I think most reasonable people agree that some gating is appropriate to prevent burnout, but should we be locked into the idea that valor is done in your first 4 keys, your raid loot chances are over at 8-10 bosses of your preferred difficulty, etc.

As it stands right now, you can complete your vault (in pve, I’m not qualified to speak to pvp) by Friday and the rest of the week, you’re just waiting for reset (which may or may not yield items you want).

Idk about the pacing of the dinar system being one that works in a normal season and I certainly don’t think uncapped Valor week 1 is a good thing. But why not a single deterministic raid item obtainable by week 4? Why did they scrap the upgrade system for raiding? (A certain number of Mythic kills gave you a way to upgrade that heroic drop) Especially for those groups who get stuck at 3/?M or 5/? Heroic.

I agree. As it stands I’m pretty much done with my main by Wednesday and just play alts all week. I’m sure I’d have a much higher io / ilvl if i did more than 8 keys a week but I did 20-30 week 1 and already sensed burnout. FF14 does this pretty well by having dungeons and raids both offer up a currency which is more reliable than drops and I’m sure wow will move that direction eventually with enough backlash. It makes it elongate the content AND offer deterministic gearing, something both the community and the developers want.

Aren’t primal / concentrated primal focuses (foci?) kinda fulfilling that role. You run 10 keys above 15 in the space of two weeks and you get a 418 item in any slot with any stat combo you want.

The updated crafting is great, including how embellishments work. Not sure that helps much with trinkets though with the alch / jc trinkets being fairly mediocre to the point that much lower ilvl trinkets are simming higher

Trinkets are the exception yeah, but that’s at least somewhere to put your valor that’s highly unlikely to be superceded elsewhere.

I think it’s good to view the crafting system as the extended Bad Luck Protection / consistent reward source for this expansion.

1 Like