How to get around in Azeroth quickly post 8.1.5 portal changes:

If you are like me, then you have seen the posts on the forums, on reddit, and in trade chat about the portals being removed in 8.1.5. While I can’t personally revert those changes, I can give you some help on how to adapt to them in a way that will save you the most time.

As for the list of portals being removed, here they are:

• Caverns of Time
  • Dalaran Crater
  • Karazhan
  • Wyrmrest Temple
  • Vale of Eternal Blossoms
  • Hellfire Peninsula

I will go over each one with the most optimal travel routes so you can still get to these locations without much added travel time. I will also go over a few items in game that can alleviate some of the issues of not having these portals.

Caverns of Time:

• Whether you want to run the old dungeons, or want to farm Dragon Soul for the 100th time so you can get that elusive mount, the Caverns of Time portal has been used by players for years. But how will we get there now? The good news is that Blizzard left the Cataclysm portals in tact in Stormwind/Orgrimmar. Using the portal to Uldum, you can fly to Caverns of Time. Timed with 310% flight speed, you can reach the entrance in about a minute of travel.

SW/Org->Uldum->CoT

Dalaran Crater:

• This portal in the bottom of Legion Dalaran has been quite useful for those of us farming Rivendare’s Charger, and getting to Arathi to farm the rares when the opposite faction has control. There are actually a couple of options here. If your faction controls Arathi, great! You can take the portal and go about your business. If not, here are 2 solutions. First, you can take the Twilight Highlands portal and fly north. With 310% flight speed, this flight took me about 1 minute longer to get to the first rare spawn in Arathi that can drop a mount. Secondly, mages can actually learn the portal to Dalaran Crater by purchasing the Ancient Tome of Portal: Dalaran from Endora Moorehead in Dalaran(Northrend). Befriend a mage that has this for a quick port! If you are Horde, you can take the portal to Undercity from the Zepplin tower in Org also.

Org->UC

Twilight Highlands->North

Mage->Dal Crater

Karazhan:

• Whether you need the Fiery Warhorse, or want to get to ZG and farm the mounts, the Karazhan portal in Legion Dalaran has been insanely useful. But I have a couple of workarounds. If you go to where the Blasted Lands portal was in SW/Org, you will find a mage that will port you to Blasted Lands for free. From there fly west to either Karazhan or ZG. By doing the Return to Karazhan questline, you can acquire a ring called Violet Seal of the Grand Magus that will allow you to teleport to Karazhan every 4 hours.

SW/Org->Blasted Lands->Kara/ZG

Kara Ring->Kara/ZG

Wyrmrest Temple:

• Short and sweet, either take the SW/Org portal to Dalaran(Northrend), or use the Dalaran Teleport ring, Ring of the Kirin Tor.

Vale of Eternal Blossoms:

• Now I thought this one was gonna be a doozy. But after testing everything I came to the conclusion that Vale is still by far the best location to set your hearthstone. It still has a port to SW/Org so you can get back fast if you need to. But this will also allow you to easily get around Pandaria without traveling from the new portal locations.

Set Hearth in Vale.

Hellfire Peninsula:

• Another short and sweet one. Talk to the mage next to where the old Blasted Lands portal used to be for easy access to the Dark Portal.

SW/Org->Blasted Lands->Hellfire

Now onto some useful items that I recommend to anyone looking to get around Azeroth fast.

• Ring of the Kirin Tor: Teleport to Dalaran Northrend every 30 minutes. Purchased from Harold Winston in the JC shop in Dalaran.
  • Enchanter’s Wrist enchant: Cooled Hearthstone. Reduces the CD on your hearth. Only applicable by Enchanters.
  • Guild Cloaks: Shroud of Cooperation, Wrap of Unity, Cloak of Coordination. All can be purchased from any guild vendor. Teleports you to Stormwind. Cooldowns of 8, 4, and 2 hours.
  • Engineering Teleports: Ultrasafe Teleporter Gadgetzan, Wormhole Generator Pandaria. Can be made by engineers to use to teleport.
  • Argent Crusader’s Tabard: Teleports you to the Argent Tournament grounds. Costs 50 Champion Seals.
  • Potion of Deepholm: 1 minute CD, made by Alchemists. Used to teleport to Deepholm where there are portals to SW/Org.
  • Ruby Slippers: Drops from Opera event in old Karazhan. Extra hearthstone. Note this does share a CD with your hearthstone, but it is fun to roleplay Wizard of Oz :slight_smile:

While this is not a comprehensive list of all teleport items, these are the ones I found most useful in my Mog/Mount farming runs.

I hope this guide can help you adjust to the portal changes coming in 8.1.5.

Happy farming!

-Blarg

30 Likes

Thanks Blargbro. This is some very good information that a lot of players need to know. /clap :cow:

2 Likes

These do not share a CD with the HS? Always thought they did, but it’s great if they don’t!

I will get around like normal.

Its easy to get around and navigate.

Press W

Thank you kindly for the information.

They still do, sadly.

How does Demonic Gateway help me get around the world?

1 Like

Magic :mage:

Now I kind of wish I could use it as a second hearthstone… or to travel to the class hall.

Some of this information most of you may already know. But if I can help out just one person, then I can live with that. <3

1 Like

Appreciate the shortcuts - good to see many don’t involve items that need to be farmed or old questlines that need to be completed, as I’ve seen mentioned elsewhere.

I haven’t been playing that long - were are the mages next to the old blasted lands portals - I don’t think I know where they are…

I will add the portal to crater for mages involves getting an item from one of the scarlet crusade boss rooms before you can purchase the actual port - at least it did a few months ago.

Mage Tower in SW for Alliance. Cleft of Shadows in Org for the Horde.

So where the current hellfire portals are.

1 Like

Indeed my good Tauren.

1 Like

Or… they could have left the portals alone. Oh well.

6 Likes

You have done a service to those too blinded by tears to actually think. :laughing:

:ice_cream:

1 Like

I mean the problem isn’t coming up with alternate paths to this (I’ve got paths for days), the problem is its something unnecessary with remarkably weak justification, with a further addition of ‘Ignoring feedback’ that’s been a heavy constant this whole expansion

This is just the straw breaking the camel’s back for a lot of people

8 Likes

I totally understand and respect that. But hopefully I can help a few players that may not know these tactics to make it less impactful.

1 Like

Agreed. And while I appreciate the work OP has put into the post, I think that leaving us feeling like the best way to navigate is by having to set a hearthstone to Pandaria is just ridiculous. They needed to leave that one be, no reason to remove it, at all.

3 Likes

I have tons of ways to get around, I’m a better mage than most mages with all my gadgets.

But they have constantly ignored feedback - over flying, portals, transmog, class design, pvp vendors, you name it and they’ve ignored it. Granted, not all feedback and suggestions are good for the game, but the only blind ones here are the game devs, who think ignoring the vast majority of feedback is the way to go.

2 Likes

Completely understandable. But, well, they have done the exact opposite thing of ‘appealing to their crowd’

This is going to get worse before it gets better and I’ll be honest, if I wasn’t crazy-obsessed with wanting to play a Zandy paladin since MoP, I’d probably be on the boat out of here to nicer lands for a while

1 Like