How to get 2x Arena Masters using Layering

Or instead of layers you have servers that are bound to merge if player mumbers drop and names cant double for those?

And then you shard lvl 1- ~15 on them and youre good?

People also tend to forget that if player numbers do not drop, that layering has to stay for as long as people dont leave or they would create mega servers with private server lvl’s of players on them (10k+) or even worse.

Layering and sharding are both systems that work against the fundamentals of wow classic each and every second they’re active.

Blizzard really should reconsider if their greed is worth more than the success of classic.

Because people will leave the game over this. 100%.

5 Likes

Stuff like this absolutely can’t be happening when Classic goes live. Really hope Blizzard doesn’t just ignore things like this.

8 Likes

The only reason we’re getting layering is Money. Apparently paying for the game isn’t a good enough reason to have enough servers for the players paying to play it.

The better solution is to group up multiple servers to prevent duplicate names and merge as necessary later when the tourists leave. Or just put Classic on a separate subscription to keep them out from the start.

3 Likes

People always looking for the easy way out. If you want the trinket just be smart about the tactics of getting one. I claimed 2 of them without help, just for this toon when they were still relevant.

This is more about the way it works in general.

One of the most powefull pillars of classic is the immersion of the game.

Do you remember the times when using hearthstone or a portal on one continent would teleport you without any loading screen?

Blizzard even advertised that back in the vanilla days. All that for the sake of immersion as it was clearly a design choice.
In the beta and live game this doesnt apply anymore. Loadin screen when hearthing on the same continent.
And layering on top as a way way more disruptive element to immersion.

Blizzard is actually really trying to hurt that aspect of the game cause it costs them less.

And people are cheering them on for it.

4 Likes

WoW Classic Dev Team,

I know you do care how gamebreaking this is. I’ve fought to keep any type of sharding out of Vanilla because it puts (Vanilla) gameplay second and it creates economy-breaking exploits like this and destroys immmersion in Vanilla WoW:

You worked hard to develop another solution. Layering is a step in the right direction. But while it reduces the frequency of sharding, it still allows exploits like this.

BTW, many thanks to Venruki (and Monkeynews and other streamers) who have recorded the massive problems like this when using Layering.

BTW, here is Monkeynews’ recording of exploiting mining between layers while re-logging.

Reddit link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/bsaewr/layering_is_fine_guys_dont_worry/

5 Likes

This is what should be happening in Beta, people finding bugs and those bugs being addressed by Blizzard.

Given how well they listened to feedback during BFA alpha/beta I’m very interested if they even do anything about this or just let it go because “it’s only phase 1”.

It they don’t fix it I guarantee I’ll be exploiting the hell out of layering. No more camping out rares when you can just jump layers. Tidal charm + Arena Master’s trinket will be awesome.

edit: It also pretty much guarantees I’ll be leveling a mage so I can exploit layering to aoe level.

3 Likes

Every zone has an inn to walk to, a minor inconvenience to build your group without breaking immersion across the board

This team is not the BFA team, imho.

The Classic team has earned my trust and I will believe they will do their absolute best to make this as seamless as possible until they don’t.

This is just like the server hopping that happened in WOD.
Addons were even created to help you do this.

Betcha there will also be addons to help you layer hop.

3 Likes

Maybe not but the tech is from retail my friend.
Layering is a bigger shard. And sharding is retail tech.

2 Likes

I realize the tech is from retail, but so is the whole client. I don’t think that is the issue.

It is what they do with that tech that will be telling, and I believe this dev/programming team is doing their damndest to make it as authentic as possible all while trying to head off dead servers as well as day 1 launch crushes.

Dead realms won’t happen until much later…phase 4 and after.
They can’t predict who will stay and who will leave.

1 Like

I mean they have the same leadership including Mike “You think you do but you don’t” Morhaine so that doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

1 Like

Exactly, and this is why they are doing this. They, like you and I, have no clue who will stay after the touristy part and who will leave. This is the hedge.

Fair. But they seemed to have been given a lot of autonomy and leash on this, based on how they have handled things so far.

1 Like

That’s speculation on your part.

For all we know Activision said “you only get X dollars, make it work”. So we get layering instead of additional realms.

1 Like

We are all speculating.

On a positive note, arena trinket is worthless after ZG comes out.

Yes i agree, except when it comes to something like “layering” which is one of the newer technologies implemented by Blizzard and will be used to their benefit not the players.

By benefit, given the current leadership, they will be looking to reduce server and network loads, since they’ve moved to a distributed cloud based services for their architecture the more resources they consume the more money they pay out. Previously, with hardware servers in server farms the costs were more or less fixed but require much more up front investment.

For me it’s a matter of trust and BFA lost all my trust for the leadership at blizzard.

1 Like