How to Gear up..?

Hey everyone!

Let me start I started playing Wow back in legion, I’ve only played retail until last month, I decided to give a shot to classic and Wow! I love it! The journey to 60 was amazing. So much new content that i’ve never done in retail.

Here’s my problem though, I cant seem to be able to get gear upgrades… I’ve got all my “pre raid BiS” in my 60 rogue, without a party finder its nearly impossible to form a raid party… I was told well try GDKP they’re a good way to start gearing so I went a head and did a ZG gdkp, a few upgrades dropped, I was like good! Then came the part to “Bid” on items, so one of the items I did bid in was hakkari girdle started at 100g up to there nice I can bid on this I’ve got 700 golds. Very quickly the item went for 900g sadly I couldnt buy it, then all others pieces went by and I ended up not being able to purchase any pieces… I was like well atleast I’ll get my “cut” and maybe be able to purchase some gear on my next run! When time came for cuts, I was told i’m not getting any cuts because I didn’t buy anything and came in the raid as a “Buyer”.
After arguing on Discord that I was #9 in the DPS charter seems like it’s not enough to get my cut so I went home empty handed…

How am I supposed to gear up as a new player when I dont have a ton of golds. I’ve tried looking for guilds, the issue is I work a 3-2-2-3 job alternating days and night shifts so I can’t get in their raids schedule every weeks and wouldn’t get recruited because of that. I just can’t seem to progress any further where as in Retail I could just hop in the group finder, using addons people could see my io score & gear and tell I was experienced enough and easily get invited in there.

I really enjoy Classic wow and would love to get into end game content but it seems like gold rules everything now a day. No golds, no upgrades. As a new player I feel left behind and it’ doesn’t seem like there’s a good way to catch up in gear.

I’m playing on Whitemane, Alliance. Needless to say I love PvP. Battlegrounds are often spammed with R14 people or T2-T3 geared people and it’s almost impossible for me to compete as a rogue.

Anyone knows if there’s any plans to implement a Group finder? Or have any tips on what I could do to gear up and catch up to all those years long players who has insane gear?

Thanks.

1 Like

Gotta love them scam GDKPs.

What’s worse is you probably got outbid by the GDKP runner just jacking up the bids to make the pot bigger.

If it’s any consolation PvP gear will be more attainable once the changes go live.

As the current system stands Guild for raids/Mythic+ and PvP are what people normally go looking for.The more casual minded do the lower tier versions of these LFR Heroics and non Rated. Granted there are a good amount of places to gear at the moment thesystem itself is not that friendly to new or even current players.This new Crest system that came out not too long ago is by in large a failure.Only mid to high end content rewards the best crests anything out of that grants you next to nothing with no way of upgrading your lower tier whelp crests into drake crests and so on (Its actually hilarious that blizzad added a vendor who’s sole purpose is to downgrade every good crest to a bad one.)So Guilds that run the guaranteed gear dropping content is your best bet.Any other method will take you 4-5x Longer and be 100x more annoying/stressfull.

There it is.

I was outbid by another fresh lvl 60 rogue who was in all green gear and bottom of the dos chart… probs boosted to 60 and straight into GDKP with his main character gold… I guess i’ll have to make a mage and go boost people for some golds lol. That’s such a bad system, I wish there was a system of some kind to get geared without needing thousands of golds

I know this is classic and it’s supposed to stay “vanilla” & people hate on group finder & stuff from retail. but let’s be real here, I don’t know about you but i’ve got a 50 hours job & a family. I can’t be playing 8 hours daily. Finding a party to run dungeons already took nearly an hour for most of them & sometimes some pieces were HR so I couldnt roll on them. it took me a lot of time to get my pre raid BiS. i feel like a group finder is only s QoL update for players to save some time on making party for instances. Don’t get me wrong I love how Harder classic is compared to retail and I dont want any changes in that. I’m just looking foward some QoL that could save players precious time.

1 Like

Go farm tons of golds.

I guess by now you’ve figured out OP is about Classic not retail.

Not in Classic Era.
Blizzard has made some changes but they are adamant about keeping others out like a random dungeon grouping tool which they’ve stated takes away from the community and relationship building.
Don’t shoot the messenger.

Don’t join a rando trade chat gdkp.
Check your server discord/s for organized gdkp runs with sign ups and posted, clear rules.
Do what you can to farm gold or leverage tradeskills to build your gold stash.
Changes to pvp ranking are coming in the next couple of weeks so you can get gear from that source as well. There’s info about that in this forum.

The problem you are describing is exaggerated at best. You dont even need every piece of pre-bis to raid, and certainly dont need to wait hours to find groups, perhaps make your own to speed up the process. Congratulations on farming all of the pre-bis though as it does take time and feels nice to finish.

Congrats! You just learned a valuable lesson about Classic WoW: don’t play a rogue unless you have a lot of friends to carry you.

There’s no easy fix other than to network and make friends. In the future, consider a class that can tank or heal (warrior, druid, shaman, paladin, or priest) for an easier time finding groups. Note that warrior gear is even more competitive than rogue gear, but at least warriors get into better groups more easily.

Ideally, playing the game should gear you up. Unfortunately, the game is filled with tools who make it hard to gear up.

I quit WotLK primarily because of this.

This is rough, my schedule is wonky right now so I can relate.

I think suggestions of trying to find another type of group are correct but I don’t know where you would. So if you can’t get that to pan out it’s probaby going to come down to doing one of these things:

1. Create your own SR or MS>OS raid group, as you are new to Classic I wouldn’t suggest this though unless you’ve done the raid leader thing in Retail or in other MMOs.
  2. PVP for gear and take your beating while doing so, you can do that on your own schedule but you still will have to PVP a lot if you want the epic stuff. At this point do not start this until August 24th.
  3. Farm more gold by either finding what sells on the AH or even doing the mage thing you said.
  4. If you want to reroll to something more “desirable” and start over you can. To be honest I could see rogue gearing on a server like Whitemane being more competitive even for wpvp reasons alone.

If that GDKP wanted you to buy stuff and you couldn’t afford it I really don’t get why they didn’t gold-check you before you went in, because really that helped no one. Your bidding should have mattered otherwise because you were trying.

If you mean the group finder tool with the list where people still make their own groups I don’t think this would be too bad, if you mean like LFR then imo that shouldn’t come to Classic Era.

I know your message is there to be helpful to this poster about the best way to gear in Retail but this having to want to play at the highest end to really even get to know people in a guild environment is part of why I can quit Retail so cold turkey every time I try it. Some people like this because they want to do it all alone but I think it’s a bad change in the design of the game.

Yes you do.
It was a poorly organized raid as established gdkps don’t generally behave in the way the OP described. I’ll stop short of calling it a scam though it certainly could be but more likely just sub-par management.

1 Like

Join guild. Sign up for 20 mans when your schedule allows. Don’t assume they won’t take you because of your schedule, zg is not that serious, they just want bodies.

1 Like

Make friends, join a guild. Earn your gear. Avoid gdkps at all cost. The only three kinds of people that benefit from gdkps are 1. P2W enthusiasts that Rmt… 2. Guilds that effectively do “guild runs” with a few open slots to milk the first kind of player (the “good” kind of gdkp) . 3. the trade chat trash group leaders who take a huge organizer cut, or outright ninja the entire pot (and often run a terrible raid with low content clearing potential since they try to overstack the paypigs for bigger pots to take)

If you enjoy pvp then perhaps take a look at the upcoming honor system changes and consider if you can meet your gearing goals when the details for that become official.

Here is the best way, get preraid BiS. Enchant your gear, get good weakauras. UI is really important for the next part. Find GDKP and dont worry too much about wasting gold on gear. The main thing you want to do is try and get as good of parse as you can. Learn your class, because your parses will help you find a guild. Any guild will take someone that gets orange parses, you prob wont get them right away so the key is to try and get atleast blue parses for every fight. Purple are even better but being able to prove your good will help. Because guilds will gear you up right away like literally in one raid. Its hard to find talent and guilds are always looking for them. I wouldnt worry too much about gdkps unless you buy gold or plan to make gold off it. Even if you have crap gear get the enchants. People dont understand how much just having your gear properly enchanted increases your base dps. Find people you enjoy playing with and dont take it too serious. Its not about the destination but the journey with classic. Learn fights best you can and dont be afraid to ask questions. Alot people done the content so many times, I mean I did it like 20 years ago lol and it can feel intimidating but dont stress it. People would rather you ask how things work instead of acting like you know and make mistakes that wipe everyone.

Coming from retail the main thing to settle into is that gearing is going to happen slower than it does on retail.
Remember that those geared players have a lot of time invested into that character and you just reached 60.

This is the way. I’d also add that rogue tier .5 is 100% puggable and is pretty sexy gear with an insane 4 piece bonus.

This is all great advice, the OP seems to have done some of it already. He may not know how much people value parses in Classic though.

I think his biggest hurdle is the schedule. As someone who’s recruited a lot, we tended to look for people who could show up at least 80% of the time. As much as I hate to say it a schedule like this would have been a dealbreaker, unless the person was ok with being a casual or bench player.

Now granted I don’t know how Era is. I do think that he could probably find a good guild and join ZG or AQ20 runs often enough. My guilds used to take whoever was there. For the other raids though that’s hard to say. Maybe he could accept a backup slot?

1 Like

Ah, well, we’ve found the main issue.

1 Like