How to be an OP Assassination Rogue in BGs

When people in the PvP forums are talking about how OP assassination rogues are, I’m having trouble understanding how to get myself to that point.

I honor-geared my shadow priest, and could do pretty great in random BGs. I’m having more trouble on my rogue (I’m missing 5 or 6 (small) pieces of honor gear).

I’m trying to figure out if additional gear makes a ton of difference, or are the OP-rogue comments mostly about arena, or if I’m just playing poorly? I assume it’s some combination of the three, mostly my skill being the issue.

But I’d be interested in other people’s takes. And if it’s just that I’m probably playing poorly, that’s fine. I can accept that maybe Shadow Priest fits me better in BGs.

Tangential question - any add ins that are recommended for BG pvp in particular? Right now Plater is my only real must-have that I use.

1 Like

Id love to kno same thing, i have full honor gear and any enemy I open on and stack poisons on just gets constantly rehealed to full hp over and over and over, somtimes get target to 25% or lower hp but again gets rehealed to full. Did 2 ss so far and legit lost all 12 rounds. I seem to do far better on survival hunter, warrior and dh.

2 Likes

the 4 piece set it what makes it good. just average til you get that.

1 Like

Spec for Indiscriminate Carnage. Grab zerker buff. Stealth right into the cluster of enemies. Garrote, MfD, Rupture, then either vanish out or shadowstep to an ally. Repeat every 45 seconds. Bask in the glory of doing top damage.

For BG’s it’s very hit and run. You wanna get good AOE dots going, then get out and restealth and then pick apart weak targets once everyone else has clashed. It’s very much “assassin” feeling. You don’t want to stay engaged for too long. Hit and run.

Random examples of low cr RBG’s:

http s://ibb.co/g9W0TSb
http s://ibb.co/LhfwhN1

(close the space in links for images)

4 piece is also not necessary for success. I’m only at 2 piece and it’s still bonkers.

4 Likes

For addonons make sure plater has a pandemic indicator. Use Healers Have to Die (H.H.T.D). Probably the only absolute must haves.

1 Like

Playing rogue means you are waiting for a target to engage.

Like a spider with 6 targets but you can’t take on all 6 so you have to be patient. Wait for a team fight, see how the team fight is going and go for their healer or a ranged caster threat.

More time than not just disturbing the ‘back line’ will give your team a window of advantage to take down one or two of their teammates whilst you’re distracting the healer. Mostly this is how I chose to team fight.

When it comes to assaulting objectives or defending. Sap and blind are your friends until backup arrives. If you’re on a node and see 2-3 coming. CALL IT OUT IN CHAT. There’s players like me who are waiting for an Incomming call. We will come and help defend but an early call is necessary and then you go to work sapping and blinding and spinning the flag as best you can.

Coming from my zug zug classes experience rogue is a finessed version of melee cleave. You get to dictate when you engage so choosing who to engage on is always vital.

If it’s a healer than you have to play it like an arena. Bait out cds. Garrotte opener, ambush rupture. That’s two bleeds and weapon poisons on target with no cds used. Mark for death into kidney for 5 sec stun and another bleed from kidney. Shiv after and bone spike + mutilate envenom for pressure. This will either force a trinket (if it does full blind and switch targets) after 5-6 seconds on secondary target, vanish and look to sap the healer off blind.

This is almost 15-20 seconds of a healer focusing themselves and you not the team fight. A lot can happen in that time.

3 Likes

Are they op in BG’s? I know they are good in arena but bg’s are not really something that suit assassin to well.

The reason they are great in arena is

you have the CC to lock a target down with things like sap into blind on a healer then after CD’s are used you can pop your big CD’s to burst a target down and win.

In bg’s sure you can pop cd’s to burst a target down like a healer or something but after that you are just going to be pretty ok. The cc will still be nice but not nearly as effective when its taking out 1/10th of a team as opposed to a third of a team.

“OP” is a pretty subjective label to slap on them, but yes, they do preform very well in BG’s. Why wouldn’t they?

I never said they didnt do well, I said they were not OP.

Right now they are top tier and “OP” in some peoples minds in things like 2’s, 3’s, and shuffle. But they are “OP” for the reason I stated. They can lockdown one target and nuke another with the use of CD’s forcing a team to pop trinkets and their own CD"s opening them up to the rest of your team.

They do fine in BG’s but are far from op, they do not have the sustain of a lot of other classes so once your evasion or cloak is down you have to just skulk around in stealth waiting to find people to pick off. You cant just zug zug in like other classes that have the defensive on top of spamable self heals

Of course, this is all coming from the point of view of RBG’s where it sounds like OP is playing at. RBG’s most the time your job is just hit jobs on capping points and such.

Well you did say, “bg’s are not really something that suit assassin to well.” I’d just disagree. We happen to be the #1 teamfight class in my experience. We can still do hit jobs and cap points, but since DF got a huge boost in just being able to also be top damage and kbs all around.

We will have to see with 4 pc getting nerfed 50% in pvp, and wound poison (deathmark) no longer stacking. Have to see if that shifts things alot or not, granted i’m not sure of any build that picks up improved wound for the extra 2 stacks of it.

Dang, you must play a different game than what I play.

Another example of what sin rogue can really do in a teamfight map.

https ://ibb.co/f4rM14L