How to add a new account for my kids - best practice?

Hi, I want to add another wow account/sub for my kids to play.

I also want to be able to transfer their characters from my account to theirs.

I’m a little unclear on if both subs will be under my battlenet account or if they will have their own battle.net account.

What is the best way to get them setup with their own wow account and still be able to transfer their characters to that new account? We want to be able to play at the same time.

If you want to have a separate Battle.net account for your kids & still be able to transfer characters to it from your current account, the new account will need to be in your name (same name as current account). You can’t transfer characters to someone else’s account, only between two accounts that are both yours.

It’s going to be best to set up their own Battle.net account (in your name) as it will make things easier when they turn 18.

The option to set up another WoW license on your Battle.net is the other way to go, but not the one I’d reccomend. It will allow you to play at the same time (each needs it’s own subscription) and is fine ToS wise for one minor child, but all of the account-wide stuff like mounts and pets will always stay with the original Battle.net account which means when they are 18 and have to spin it off to another Battle.net account, they’ll lose any of that stuff they’ve earned. So it’s good to get them earning those things on their own account, not yours.

Also, the ToS only allows you to share with one minor child, so setting up their own Battle.nets will get around that for more than one kid.

As Tureja said, put the new accounts in your name which will allow you to transfer characters. When your kids turn 18, you can change their battle.net account over to their name.

1 Like

Just three thoughts.

Two email addresses is recomended with the exact name for both. I have this.

This not only allows two computers as well as both on one computer at the same time.
Same email address?

They do not share mounts, pets or toys.
Can if one email?

Can buy each others auctions and can pet battle each other.
Can not if one email?

Another note about one computer with two emails.

The WTF folder will contain both battle.net accounts … In their own folder.

The config file is shared!
This means if one account sets stuff…both accounts get set.
Good news it’s only on startup.
Bad news it can go back and forth over each login if someone changes something.
Two computers this does not happen.

Keybind macros and other things are separate.

There are two different things that get called “accounts.” Battle.net accounts, which I believe each need a unique email address and WoW licenses (often just called WoW accounts.) WoW licenses are usually named wow1, wow2, ect.

Each Battle.net account can have up to 8 WoW licenses. Anything that is battle.net account bound is shared between any licenses on the Battle.net account. (So, pets, mounts, achievements, content unlocks like flying and allied races, ect.) These things are tied to the Battle.net account, so if you move a WoW license to a new Battle.net account, none of that stuff will go with it.

You can run different WoW licenses at the same time, either on the same computer or different ones. (The launcher makes it pretty easy to launch multiple wow licenses on the same computer.)

You can buy out auctions form other WoW licenses on the same Battle.net account. (As well as obviously different Battle.net accounts.)

If you are logged into multiple WoW licenses on the same Battle.net account (either on the same computer or different ones) you will only have access to pet battle stuff on the first account that was logged in. (So, if you want to swap, you have to log out of the accounts, and log back into the one you want to use first.)

3 Likes

A couple of other advantages to having separate battle.net accounts in your name for your kids are:

1. You can put parental controls on their accounts to prevent things like unauthorized purchases, add play time restrictions, etc…
  2. If they do something that causes an account suspension or ban, it only affects their account and not your account.
1 Like

There are lot of paid for services for Blizzard right now and this could be a niche for another one. So, transferring characters to another account isn’t possible yet but who knows what they will come up with. Better require some kind of restrictions thou or we WILL have people selling characters. I leave it to the experts to figure this one out.