How real is the Night Elf in the Refrigerator trope?

Well jaina has been with quiet a few odd guys so a warlock isnt out of character.

Nah, not really. We have seen absolutely zero percent to substantiate the claim that Elune has absolutely any power over death at all. Thus far it’s entirely been night elf legend. She certainly could not stop a banshee from zambifying her chosen people.

2 Likes

She
 literally did the exact thing the pendant describes to a dying Ysera.

4 Likes

Then why did she not for her night elves?

Because, as much of the thread has concluded, Night Elves are permanent residents of the worf-fridge. They have to perpetually have bad things happen to them to prove how bad things really are, and to galvanize the Humans into action. And a deity who intercedes on their behalf ruins that role for them. Same reason no Wild Gods care about them anymore.

11 Likes

Idk. Elune being the ultimate god that makes night elves correct about everything and also linked to everything (what isn’t she linked to? Elements? Probably!) leads to massive night elf fatigue on my end. Especially after Legion.

While I empathize about losing your starting zone (even though the Forsaken also lost theirs) and would be fine with you beating Sylvanas up (please, kill her so that her last extra lives are used up!), I’d still be ultra miffed to find night elf focus in a death themed expansion.

1 Like

Who else are they going to use? The Humans with no Death themes at all, and an overbearing, fatigue-inducing presence since Wrath?

No other Alliance race has a Death thematic, unless they bring back the Draenei’s death priests (which is what I’d ideally prefer).

5 Likes

Talias’s daughter? Terenas’s daughter? Let’s not even pretend that Bolvar will maintain neutrality here. We’ve seen how neutral factions always bend, in the end. TBH focusing on death themes as night elves for the alliance is as offensive as focusing on humans for azshara.

Do not speak if the lightborne abomination, heathen. The story is better without blatant pandering masquerading as a meaningful development. You can’t have her in the story without kicking the Forsaken’s narrative twice over.

And bringing up Talias’s daddy just undermines her own development.

2 Likes

I thought Talia was the mother. It’s been a while since I last played.

Those are individual connections, yes. But not on a cultural scale like Elune, Bwonsamdi, the Auchenai, or your entire people being dead in the case of the Forsaken. By that token, Night Elves still get a piece of the pie trough the Court of Farondis, the Blackrooks, their ability to call on wisps, and
 /sigh
 even the Forsaken Night Elves.

Though, since I usually forget how different they are, I admit Kul Tiran Humans have a Death theme by virtue of their druids and Drust magic.

3 Likes

Are you sincerely implying any race has been more affected by death (besides the Forsaken) than the human race?

:thinking:

This is all immensely subjective what you just said here, and the idea that your defining feature for why they’re boring is that the Horde doesn’t have the same over the top extreme power fantasy is definitely subjective. Isn’t this the same argument between those that find Superman boring, and those that find Batman weak? Also, no 
 the writing in BfA is NOT struggling because of the “Horde Focus”. Its very clear that this expansion was pushed out the door far before it was ready to meet a quarterly income quota; the game mechanics and severe content droughts are a testament to that.

Beyond this, based on basic story structure (to some extent like WoD), this narrative screams the idea that Blizzard started at an end point and then attempted to work its way back to fill in the holes afterwards (VERY likely to set up the next expansion); its a prologue, only the ending really matters. Considering this “CONCLUDING POINT” is likely fixated heavily on Sylvanas’ “True Objectives” (evidence enough exists in their hamfisting her into the Warchief spot to even justify this expansion) 
 I’m unsure this is so much a “Horde Issue”.

This expansion, like it or not 
 is likely very unimportant on the Meta narrative. its a massive amount of setup for future content (the Void Elves; the Lightbound; the Old Gods; the Shadowlands; the Dragonflights
) with a Faction Conflict label painted over it to try to distract from that fact (just look at the laziness of the War Campaigns). Its very likely nothing more than a vehicle to get the characters and factions where Blizz wants them, to move into the real story they want to tell; and the Horde is every bit the victim of that short sighted writing as the Alliance is.

4 Likes

I hope Tyrande smites her with a holy bolt of elune or something. Sylvanas is a power character, but not on the same level as Tyrande, or even Jaina for that matter.

The night elf fatigue is real when they keep going back to the ancient highborne and showing that story
 the ancient Night elf stuff was cool for the part of azsuna
 but got old in Suramar.

I honestly believe the team that created the night elves of wc3 did not work on them in Warcraft
 an ancient people does not have such a quick shift in paradigm like that. They went from Near feral savages to tree hugging hippies.

10 Likes

I’m saying there are a few races with a stronger cultural connotation of Death as a universal force than "We had that real bad undead guy that one time’.

5 Likes

Not only are you downplaying Arthas, you’re completely ignoring that it was the human perspective, not the night elf one, with which Blizzard introduced the Scourge.

The Fall of the Human Kingdoms were as much the Scourge’s doing as the orcs’.

Can you at least recognize how crappy this is to read as a horde player, though? The issue isn’t that the horde gets focus, because both factions ought to be in an expansion. The problem is that the writers explicitly wanted to redo MoP’s “horde bad, alliance victims” stuff because they thought they could do it better this time, without having bothered to justify why the horde should be considered to have any good elements in between the two expansions.

9 Likes

And now that perspective belongs culturally to the Forsaken, and to a certain extent the Blood Elves (and DKs of all races). Only a few other individuals have ties to that, like Talia, Bolvar, and Jaina. Jaina and Talia do not make Kul Tiras thematically tied to Death. And neither does Bolvar to Stormwind (especially as his condition’s supposed to be a secret
 a poorly kept one, but still insist that it is).

5 Likes

You’re 100% wrong (save about the Forsaken.) Stormwind was the last Human kingdom. Survivors of Lordaeron fled to Stormwind. Elune’s one sentence byline in no way at all makes the night elves remotely related to undeath, especially over the human race.

I can’t believe you claimed that the Night Elf religion is what does it. You do know the paladinship was made specifically to fight (orcs), demons, and undead, right?

Not undeath. Death as one of the six cosmic forces. It encompasses undeath, natural death, and the afterlife.

Exactly. They combat Death with the Light. Light is their cultural thematic (along with martial skill), not Death.

4 Likes