How often do weather effects occur?

Simple question. A while ago I made an effort to collect a bunch of the battle pets I didn’t have from the Cata-era zones and got stuck trying to get the ape that spawns on Jaguero Island. Has the spawn requirements been changed, or should I just park an alt on the island and log-in everyday until it’s raining? Or does it spawn anywhere else?

The weather was programmed to be as random as possible.

From Wowpedia:

"Instead, each sub-zone among the 11 where weather is currently available is now linked to a set of variables that allow for the possibility of precipitation. The variables have been set to make the potential weather appropriate, meaning heavy showers are more likely in one region and drizzles in another. As Kaplan described it, the zone is practically asking itself whether there will be weather. "It’s sort of randomly picking: ‘I’m ready to rain but do I want to rain?’ " he said. Duration will be chosen based on an automated system as well, with enough variables to make things unpredictable. "We didn’t want it to be such a mathematical formula that somebody could literally sit with a stopwatch, log in, go to a zone and go, ‘OK in two, one, go — it’s going to rain.’ "

3 Likes

No, just the island. And the island’s weather is independent of the rest of the zone. It’s tedious, but the best way is just to have alts stationed in each of the zones and to check in periodically and hope to be lucky. Even better if you can do it across several severs, because the weather is server specific.

4 Likes

It is also impacted by Chromie Time and Warmode.

2 Likes

The way I did it was just park and alt there. Log into my alt, check the weather. If it’s not raining, go play on my main, then when I logged out, I’d switch to alt and check weather again.

For me, it didn’t seem to take long, as I recall. It’s not a desert island, so it does rain.

And don’t lose too much sleep over it. I haven’t used the baby apes for anything since I acquired them.

But we’re collectors. It’s not the using; it’s the collecting.

2 Likes

Baby Ape is used in the most reliable strat of one of the family fights in Shadowlands. So it is definitely worth picking up. Prioritizing the P/P breed.

The spawn requirements haven’t changed, they’re just as difficult as they’ve always been. The rain is completely random. Other weather effects aren’t as bad. The good news is, you can hear the storm, so if you set your audio to play in the background you can park your toon on the island, tab out, and do other things while you wait for the weather. Server hopping used to be a great way to farm these, but that’s not what it used to be. You could potentially join a group with a leader in a different battlegroup where it is raining if you’re not having any luck on your server, but that will obviously take some coordination. Maybe you could form a conspiracy here on the forums or on one of the Discord groups of players all looking for this pet who are willing to coordinate efforts. If you ever do catch a rain storm, you could be nice and create a quick group for others to join who want to hurry to the island. It only lasts 15-20 minutes. I was really lucky in getting several P/P specimens many years ago and I haven’t gone back since.