How NPCs choose their class?

Hey there, I think I’m in the right place for this. I’ve been diving deep into the lore of WoW lately and I’ve tried to find an answer to this without much luck. Perhaps it’s how I’m phrasing it when I search but I’ve tried a few different terms without much luck.

So, I ask you guys this: how do the NPCs in WoW get their classes? Are they born with the powers of their class and they just hone them as they age? Does some magical item choose the best class for them based on their personality (like the sorting hat)? Or is everyone born with the ability to harness most classes and they just choose their own?

It makes me wonder since only certain races can be certain classes, so I don’t think they can choose their own path. So, is it a “they’re born with it” situation?

Thank you all for your help! ^-^)/

So, I ask you guys this: how do the NPCs in WoW get their classes? Are they born with the powers of their class and they just hone them as they age? Does some magical item choose the best class for them based on their personality (like the sorting hat)? Or is everyone born with the ability to harness most classes and they just choose their own?

They typically train to become whatever class they are, with some additions/specifics to a particular class in question (anyone with necromantic knowledge reanimating a Death Knight for instance, Paladins being infused with the Light (or whatever would be their equivalent religious force), etcetera.) Jaina Proudmoore trained to become a Mage, for instance.

It makes me wonder since only certain races can be certain classes, so I don’t think they can choose their own path.

I legitimately struggle to think of any race-class combo that’s locked with lore backing and not by game mechanics with the exception of like… Void Elf Paladins & Priests? And even then the Void can fill in for the Light quite nicely, I say living in a pretend fantasy land where Blizzard will make a class reskin a la Warlock Greenfire. They can absolutely choose their own path – it is not a “they’re born with it” type deal.

1 Like

It all depends. Evoker, in its current incarnation, cannot be trained by a non-dracthyr. The Dracthyr are infused with all five of the Dragonflight’s magics. No other race is.

1 Like

We have even got instances of NPC’s “Changing” classes throughout their life. Some are priest → Paladin like Liadrin or Turalyon. Then we have Thrall going from warrior to shaman.

Most of the time it is because they either wanted to pursue that ‘class’ from day 1 or events in their lives moved them towards that future path.

1 Like

You want definitive answers backed by authority… they don’t exist.

Many of the major NPCs have abilities PCs can’t touch such as Tyrande having powers from both the Priest and Hunter class, Thrall being both Warrior and Shaman, etc.

Most presumably like the PC had lifepaths that brought them to the abilities they have now.

2 Likes

Thank you for your replies, guys! :smiley: You’ve helped me out a lot~