How much of Ashenvale do the Night Elves control now?

if the Nightborne gets Eldre’thalas, I’d be very mad

4 Likes

That’s not always an option. Magic crap isn’t always easily destroyed… and the attempt to do so may have dangerous repercussions such as the destruction of the First Well of Eternity.

Illidan’s assault on fthe Frozen Throne literally shook the rest of the planet. Not that he let that stop him.

I can’t see that as a likely scenario given the entire zone of Suramar can, and should, be repopulated, restored, etc. Surely they have more pressing issues right outside their door than some ruins a whole continent over beyond some minor plundering of a library and some artifacts.

Really I can only envision some scenario where Feathermoon has been build up to scale, perhaps even more, as a proper city/stronghold and the Devs want to inappropriately give the Horde something similar in the area despite that being Tauren territory. But hey, with Tauren mages now who knows!

If you’re talking something the size of the well or Frozen Throne, sure. Simply destroying it in one swing is going to cause some reverberations. I presume Droite is more talking more putting a dangerous spell book through the actual shredder then lit on fire. Anything larger can be contained and attempted to be dismantled piece by piece just as you would plan a large building that needs to come down. You dont just strap all the support beams with C4 and watch it come down. Its months and years of meticulous quarantining, planning, permitting, salvaging, gutting, controlled demolitions, clean up, and restoration. You don’t always get that opportunity (see the Sunwell post Arthas) but ideally you’re able to take your time and do it properly or to the best of your ability to mitigate unwanted harm/damage.

1 Like

They don’t want it either. They have plenty of ruins on the Broken Isles to rebuild as it is. Just let the Ogres keep their weird, now empty of apocalyptic secretes, ruins, and let the Tauren actually live in what is also part of their ancestral homeland too. The only thing the NEs still have down there that they care about at this point is the relatively newly built Feathermoon Stronghold, and the Hippogryphs they tame.

1 Like

Side note, it is my head cannon that Feralas is where all the tauren totems come from though. There has to be some sort of tree farm going on. There isnt a large tree in sight in almost all of Mulgore and Barrens, let alone Stonetalon and yet these massive totems and all wood buildings are everywhere. Can’t imagine how much work it was to cut one down, ship it up through Desolace, narrowly through Stonetalon, down the Barrens, and up the mesa in Mulgore.

I just assumed they’d bring it trough Thousand Needles at this point. There is an entry point to Feralas from the East after all. Its even easier to access now that its an Inland Sea.

I was thinking more pre-cata when Thunder Bluff, and theoretically the Great Gate, were built but yeah post-Cata makes sense just to float the tree through the waters and up through the Barrens.

if ashenvale is contested then we’re still at faction war and horde&alliance npcs in DF should not be friendly at all. But they are. Contradiction.

1 Like

More than likely the Tauren get their totems from the deforestation operation in Ashenvale. Save of course for the Tauren that actually live there.

Sure, they could but I don’t really see them sourcing from there. Maybe a couple in Stonetalon and the northern Barrens, or really just any Horde settlements in the Northern Barrens, but thats more of an orc MO. If we’re talking almost exclusively tauren totems and buildings, at least of the size we see in the middle of Thunder Bluff, they just dont come off as something any in Stonetalon or the Barrens would do or implement in a new city. It would be a tradition of Feralas tauren who’d bring up their own methods and ways. All the while in the background it was really only Tauren and Night Elves in the Cenarian Circle who’d perhaps better understand the contention from sourcing from Ashenvale.

Again could of gotten them from Ashenvale and maybe even likely, but if we’re talking tauren then the only logical way I see totem use as a wide spread practice happening is from Feralas and those who lived there.

1 Like

Tbh I don’t think it matters until it’s in game. Mainly because until it is, the status of any region is subject to immediate change at a moments notice.

Zuldazar was swallowed by the sea. Until it was merely flooded pretty severely. The Dragon Isles were lost forever. Then no apparently not dragons didn’t remember where it was but a Tuskaar could’ve easily marked it for them on their maps had they merely asked.

And of course the patient zero for this sort of thing, Gilneas. Which went from being rendered uninhabitable by Blight bombing in the Sylvanas novel, to being occupied by the Forsaken as of the Reclamation of Lordaeron questline. Which is pretty notable as the Sylvanas book directly preceded that questline. So, very clear to me this story is being written by different people who can’t or won’t check in with eachother.

Also come to think of it - the Forsaken offering to clear the Blight as they just did moments ago in Gilneas as a gesture of good faith would’ve been a much better story beat than “We’ll maybe stop putting soldiers there for no reason at all”.

So the status of these things are whatever your heart wants them to be until the gameworld decides otherwise.

3 Likes

Eh, I doubt it. If the Tauren were going into Ashenvale for their totems pre-cata, even at the edges, you’d have think they’d have run into the nelves.

Considering the idea that the nelves might notice and take offense to a lumber operation on the very edge of the forest never crossed Cairne’s mind, I don’t think they really did a whole lot in the forest.

Stonetalon and pre-deforestation Durotar are options that I think would have been more fitting and less of a pain than Feralas

1 Like

Based off Exploring Kalimdor: they pushed all the way back to Talrendis in Azshara, and control the border entrance of Mor’shan Ramparts (technically alliance took it in BfA iirc) and Stardust Spire. All we know the horde still holds, to my knowledge, is the Warsong Lumber Camp, and Splintertree, which is being sieged on and off.

Lol to be fair, they were just kind of an easter egg in the out of story development of Warcraft the series until now. Dragons homeland was northrend if anything, given that Wyrmrest was the ancient center of culture even by their immortal ‘dawn of sentient life’ minds and it’s not even on the isles where they all lived.

2 Likes

How… are they even holding the lumber camp if the Nelves control the 2 main entrances to Ashenvale?

Is it a situation where the mountains are just a mechanical gameplay concern when computers struggled to render stuff 20 feet ahead of you, or are the Warsong just that stubborn to hold on to their little field of stumps?

1 Like

EldreThalas was the capital of Queen Azshara’s Highborne servitors.

It’s funny. In another thread, night elves are telling belf players it’s breaking canon to become druids like “their ancestors”, stating that the only ancestors belves have were highborne.

But here? We’ve got night elf players wanting to lay claim to Highborne lands.

:dracthyr_lulmao:

2 Likes

But there Highborne night elves among the Kaldorei. And it’s not as if the Alliance has no Highborne groups - there are High Elves, Void Elves, and Blood Elves that are allied with the Night Elves

3 Likes

So were the Nightborne.
More importantly, they WERE the highborne.

And the highborne we have are the literal people who lived in Dire Maul until just a few years ago. If anyone has an actual claim to the city. It would be them.

7 Likes

That parts that don’t have Horde settlements on them. If another Revamp ever happened, horde would continue to have a presence in Ashenvale and Stromgarde. Why? Because Blizzard maintains zone access parity since Cataclysm in EK and Kalimdor. That will not change if another revamp happens, trust me.

to be absolutely clear, the highborne are not some giant sect of night elves in night elf society. this’s like saying the void elves have as much claim to silvermoon as the blood elves.