How much fun was the mage tower?

The biggest complaint about it was accessing the mage tower at all.

1 Like

It would of been more fun but after listening to the rp the first few times I could never bring myself to go back. If you could of started it without wasting so much time I would of loved the challenge.

Okay sour puss

That’s sad

Same bro so much same

1 Like

It wasn’t a balanced experience

Some of the bosses we’re way easier than other ones

I enjoyed the tank one, did it on a few classes

I liked the frost DK one, but didn’t care for the UH DK one

It all depended on the class. Some had it harder than others.

One-shotting some of them was whatever.

Beating the scenario on your 20-50th try? Biggest rush of endorphins and adrenaline crash in the game outside of mythic raiding ( I assume). I’ve had to resort to playing soulsborne games now to chase the same kind of punishmexperience.

yes Kruul, this is very much possible and it’s happening to YOU!!!

Immensely enjoyable. Immensely… It’s my one claim to fame too as I was one of the few that cleared it the first weekend it opened. /patsback

I loved all the unique weapon models, and found combating each challenge with the different spec utilities really really great. The only challenge that I thought was over the top ridiculous was on release feral (ie before MoC/brutal slash changes that made it a joke). On release… feral was a class that relied on tab targeting bleeds to AoE, with pretty much zero on demand AoE burst. Agatha was a boss that required repeated on demand AoE burst. See the problem? Oooo look a bunch of imps! Let me dot them all up so that they all slowly rot down, while the boss is STILL IMMUNE…

Once MoC/BS came about, then it became a joke. Aside from that… loved every challenge. Big shout outs to the tank challenges and the healer challenges. Those really were fantastic and had my heart racing.

When I came back a year and a half or so ago I tried the mage tower as a fresh 110 and got destroyed. I never went back.

After finding out that the transmogs were removed I was kicking myself for not trying it again after gearing better. I wish I had paid attention and knew that those transmogs were limited. :frowning: That was on me for not staying current.

I’d love to have another mage tower type event that has limited transmogs like it did. I’d put in more effort, especially for the ones I find cool like the druid bear form from mage tower.

To each their own.

1 Like

Hardly any people complain about visions because most people just don’t care. People complained about Mage Tower because they wanted the mog so bad. No one cares about some lame ‘worm from beyond’ cloud serpent reskin.

I enjoyed it, but it definitely had some frustrating mechanics, depending on spec. I also agree the first time i tried it on my ret I was like “i don’t know how in the hec im supposed to have the dps to beat this.”. The healer one was super frustrating as resto druid, because the dang ghosts would get healed to like 99% from your hots but not 100%. But it was great in that it was just something to try on your own and not something you had to do.

I also think it really helped me as heals learn to dps and cc when in a dungeon.

It was fun in ways and I got it for every spec and class I actually play. I never use the lobster claws though because it looks terrible compared to pally and rogue appearances.

It was fine.
It wasnt OMGAMAZINGLAZORSBBQ like many people say it was.
It was just… fine.
Normal content, I would say.

Sure dps mattered, but to say it wasn’t a test of tanking skill is just completely and totally incorrect.

You have an NPC to protect, you have to position yourself and the boss so you don’t get thrown off/NPC doesn’t get hit, you have stacking debuffs to manage, you have points of burst damage to counter, and you have a stacking tank buster mechanic to rotate CDs on.

What exactly else would you like to make this a “tank” challenge?

Fact of the matter is, tank DPS mattering has been a thing since MoP. Sure in Normal/Heroic it doesn’t matter, but in Mythic and upper level M+ it matters… So it only makes sense that you should have to maximize your dps in a challenge meant to push you to your limits.

I can guarantee you that if DPS didn’t matter at all in that challenge (and they had an NPC doing all the DPS for you), it’d be ranked the worst challenge out of the lot and considered by far the easiest of the challenges. Instead of last gasp smacking the boss with everything you got because the next tank buster is going to kill you… You’d have tanks getting threat and just running away…

On release, it was fun. By the end of the Expansion when the content became more trivial, less fun.

Frustrating sometimes, but fun enough for Blizz to take it away.

I despised it from its horrendous difficulty. I didn’t bother going back.

Too fun.

It was a masterpiece of content, quite frankly.

1 Like

It was made for DPS. They made massive numbers nerfs to them for healers and tanks after the fact.

They said something along the lines of “we don’t want people to have to change specs to get their cloaks upgraded” and made the changes.

They are fine for healers and tanks now but I wouldn’t say that they weren’t made with DPS specs in mind initially. Pretty big oversight, that they at least rectified.

The changes are documented in the hotfix thread for sometime during January: Hotfixes - Updated October 5