How much fun was the mage tower?

It was Ok.
Not too difficult especially near the end.
I got the looks I wanted, namely lasercat and hulk bear but I wouldn’t mind if they brought it back for people that didn’t get those.

Obviously, ya boi here isn’t talking about me.

1 Like

Def pushed your class/spec skills to the limit; ret Paladin was pretty easy, dps dh was a bit trickier, holy paladin…that one took me a bit but finally completed it (didn’t die at end no less!)

All were super fun though; in terms of difficulty it generally is thought tanks>heals>dps regarding hardest to easiest challenges though there is tons of variation in the roles and specs.

Overall super fun, would love for them to bring back or something like them back (with or without any item rewards) just as a fun challenge content you can do.

It was ok.

The tmog rewards were the only reason people even ran em/want em back. Outside of a few fringe cases.

The mogs were, obviously, very subjective. I only liked 1-2 of them (out of all 36).

“Fun” is also very subjective because, as a Warrior on the Tank mission, I had tools available to me that often didn’t work. It was done on a platform and you could get thrown off, but Warriors have Heroic Leap … and sometimes you could jump back onto the platform, which is what the ability SHOULD LET YOU DO. But sometimes… it didn’t work.

Stupid bugs like that immediately detract from something that’s supposed to “test the mastery of all of your abilities.” Well, if they don’t frigging WORK half the time, I’m going to turn my nose up at your test.

It also didn’t help that many of the challenges were like this: next to impossible with the wrong Legendaries, and trivially easy with the right ones. So it wasn’t a “challenge” so much as a gear-check. Sorry, not giving praise for that.

I beat all 3 variations for my main (Warrior) but that was all I was interested in. I liked the idea, and I would be fine to give it a passing grade on a simple “pass/fail” scale, but all the FREAKING … DRAMA about it was wayyyyyyy out of proportion. My disdain for the Mage Tower wasn’t in the wonky mechanics or the focus on gear, but in the endless whine of the entitled that surrounded it.

Depended on the specific mage tower encounter. The difficulty varied wildly.

Frost DK? No problem.
Protection paladin? Okay, developers, we get it - you’ve a sadistic streak fit for a crazed communist dictator. Chill out already. Jeez.

1 Like

The mage tower was fun overall. I love solo content!

I failed every mage tower, so it was pretty frustrating to me.

People only did it for the sick mog weapons. I got the skins on my main and primary alt, and kicking myself for not doing it on every one of my toons for every spec.

Beyond that, it was a giant pain in the behind early on. By the end of the xpac wasn’t too bad. But had it not been for the mog, nobody would’ve set foot in there.

I want it back because I want a gorilla bear tank form

1 Like

Before you post how about you go look up all the videos that are posted with tanks and healers soloing 5 mask visions I swear some people are just clueless

My personal opinion it felt more like you were deciding between the black plague and ebola on some classes/specs but it was challenging.

Lol well sure ANYTHING can be done. Doesn’t mean dps don’t have it significantly easier because it was designed as a dps race. I swear some people are just clueless amirite?

Basically this

I also don’t really think people found it fun per say. I think they just had fun lording their appearance over people that didn’t have it

There were so many complaints about it. About how hard it was, about how people felt they needed to get them for every alt, about how it wasn’t up enough, about how there were limited tries…

It was ok. The appearances are cool for sure, but doing the actual content was meh. I’d put it on par with horrific visions. It’s cool like the first 3 times. After doing it 50 times, it sucked

In my case I Saw raiding as a way to get grsr to be able to make Mage Tower a bit easier.

I didn’t care for them, but judging by the demand I’ve seen it might make sense to have something similar in SL. Lots of people enjoyed the challenge. And I liked some of the appearances, unfortunately, most of the ones I liked the most I didn’t have the toon at max level or nearly geared enough to try it by the time it was removed. (Like the werebear forms and the Prot Pally/Warrior flails.)

I got it on my ele shaman and fury warrior though… and then never use the mog. :confused: Cest la vie.

People whined about it being too hard and feeling “forced” to do them because of the exclusive reward structure of it. People said certain specs were unfair and thus complained about class balance etc. People hated the fact to do them required a currency and they couldn’t do them 24/7. I definitely got the impression people hated it while it was current, pretty sure the complaints were just as rampant as Vision complaints, asking for Blizzard to never implement something like Mage Tower again haha.

some were harder than others. i had a vengeance demon hunter and that one was near impossible unless you had mythic raid gear at first. hardly anyone beat it until they buffed the spec

i also had an assassin rogue and that one was pretty easy, nothing special

I loved the challenge. It was bloody hard for some classes. Try doing the affliction one without the legendary ring, it was stupid. After i got the ring i got it in one try.

I loved the tank one. I just wish i had a better geared druid back then so i could have the warebear. All up i got all 3 lock ones, the tank DH and tank DK one as well as BM hunter

I only did the prot paladin, prot war, and blood dk ones. They were a good challenge to me, stressful, but when I first got it (I think on paladin?) it was such an awesome feeling.

Oh and yes, to echo others: certain classes within the same role were much easier. Prot paladin with Avenger’s Shield trivialized the need to be in range for interrupts - and made kiting the infernals much easier.