How long does it take to download WoW

on a fresh install? My progress bar is only at 25% an it’s been half an hour already…

Depends on your internet connection.

6 Likes

WoW is a very big game. Depending on your specs and internet/download speed it may take awhile.

It depends on your internet and computer power. For me, it took about five hours? But I was able to get in playing before it was completely installed.

Depends on your speed.
Recently re-downloaded TBCC, and it took me like 20 minutes or something?
SL Looks like its 100gb…so that’s roughly an hour at 25mb/s.

1 Like

honestly, that seems like a pretty good speed. Its a big game

That’s the system requirement but the actual install is less than 80GB.

There’s also a setting that will ‘throttle’ your d/l speed. Be sure it set to unlimited.

This is just a guess but I believe that’s because all the different clients share a good portion of their data so you only need to download a minimal amount once Wow is installed.

BCC

Vanilla

Retail

https://i.postimg.cc/9fSbWd8g/image.png

My retail directory is large because I have all the wow artwork assets downloaded (5gb) and I use Git repo clones for some addons which take up a good bit of space. My addon directory is also 5gb.

This folder :point_down: is the directory I believe stores the data shared between the clients

When Wrath classic comes out I’d imagine it’ll be around 300mb like the other classics.

Oh, you poor baby. Some of us have to download it overnight. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I remember those days. I do not miss having low-end DSL. It used to be that any patch of a decent size basically meant my Tuesday WoW plans were dead.

Like, 15, 20 minutes?

Patches aren’t too bad on my 18Mbps DSL, but it takes several hours to download the whole game.

Yeah about 20 on a decent internet speed.

I have had a friend to whom it took a day and a bit, though he used an older slowe connection.

All the boomers about to tell you about the 4 disc special all day download in 2007

1 Like

I’m pretty sure we had <1Mbps for a while. I remember we called up at one point to see about upgrading and the agent got confused when he looked at the account. It turned out that we were grandfathered into a plan that wasn’t offered anymore. It was both worse than their lowest-tier option and more expensive. We got upgraded to 5Mbps (the highest for where we lived) and cut off ~$20 a month from the bill.

This was years ago though. A few moves later and I’m enjoying 200 down. Downloading anything feels like:
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/56737927/wanna-see-me-do-it-again.jpg

1 Like

I upgraded from 1.5 Mbps to 12 Mbps in 2012. The speed boost was amazing.

That would be correct! 100gb was google search.
I did some fresh re-installs recently. Been having crazy UI issues…But downloading both TBCC/Retail did not really take more than 1.5-2 combined.

1 Like

tell me you have gig internet without saying that you have gig internet

3 Likes

I played wow on a 56k phone modem. I had to create a ‘bootable’ windows partition on my old amiga 500 and I was lucky to sit and drink long enough to heal before I was disco’d.

Oh wait that’s just a ‘boomers’ bad memory.

1 Like