How layering could play out

I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Scenario 1 - Blizzard underestimates Classic population

In this case, Blizzard needs to maintain layering through all of Phase 1.

When it is turned off for Phase 2, players are met with login queues on the busiest of servers. Blizz will respond by adding servers and providing free transfers to the new realms. There is precedence for this.

This scenario ends with lots of full servers, which is what Blizzard and the players want.

Scenario 2 - Blizzard overestimates Classic popularity

In this scenario, layering is turned off before Phase 1 ends. No new servers are added. Blizzard and players are dealing with more servers that are low population.

Of the two scenarios, #2 is actually the worst case. Think about that. The best case scenario, long-term, is that Blizzard underestimates demand, layering is required for all of Phase 1, and new servers are added for Phase 2 (lolFresh).

My prediction: Blizzard will announce a minimal set of servers at launch, we will have layering out the wazoo all the way until Phase 2, which buys Blizz enough time to monitor population for long-term server balance.

Remember, adding new servers is easier than merging existing servers.

2 Likes

We’ll see in a few days.

They just posted about the character creation coming up on the 12th and mentioned they’d be watching server populations and let us know when servers are getting full.

It seems the population is something they’re on top of.

does anyone know if it will be max of 3000 concurrent players on each server or 2500? i read a article a little while back saying that classic would bring something like 3000 max, but it was only a estimated projection, it didn’t say for sure if it was gonna be that or if it would be 2500.

Scenario 3 - Blizzard reacts to metrics.

US example:

• Blizzard launches with a lean realmlist (say 30)
  • Initial population is overwhelming, to the point where 4 layer servers are full and very few servers are less than 3 layers.
  • Blizzard realises that a proportion of these people will remain, based on metrics of gameplay.
  • Blizzard opens 10-15 new servers, which handle the load.
  • Tourists leave in 2-3 weeks, and layering drops off on all but the most active servers.
  • Blizzard adds 5 new realms and offers free transfers with a 6 month cooldown.
  • Populations normalize at the 2000 mark.
1 Like
  1. “Whoa!, Calm Down, It’s a beta thing”
  2. “It’s only going to be on launch, starting zones”
  3. “It’s only going to be on launch”
  4. “It’s only going to be until needed”
  5. “It’s only phase 1”
    -----YOU ARE HERE-----
  6. “A bit into phase 2”
  7. " we need it for Phase 2"
    8…
    9…
    10…

Let’s just hope that all the normies that will be jumping into WoW Classic for the first time don’t start screaching on the forums that they want to be in there own personal safe space zones to avoid ganks and interaction. Layering is going to be a huge issue.

6 Likes

Who wants to transfer to an empty server from a nice, busy, thriving one?

People who have to wait 4 hours to play each night.

1 Like

No, we’re still back at Step 3. #IonPromised.

Okay /s :rofl:

You really believe that. Hmu.

cyber13j@gmail.com

I am 100% serious about this, and ANYONE who wants to take me on this.

betyou DOT ie

I will bet anyone, any amount of money, that we have it all through Phase 1 at a bare minimum. If you want to lose 5 bucks to me, or get cocky and go to 100. Let me know. We can set something up. I could use free money from people who are blindly believing this crap.

Cmon, you all believe in ActiBlizz so heavily. They can’t let you down!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You’re the one telling us we’re all at “Phase 2 or longer”. The only people talking about “All of phase 1” are the people complaining about Layering. No-one who’s realistic about layering is expecting it to last beyond the first few weeks, because that’s the realistic prediction. The people who keep extending the time it’ll survive are the scaremongers who are trying to get it removed.

1 Like

Is it really a bad thing to be proactive though?

So, they’re creating a problem that they made a “fix” for that will cause more problems that they’ll fix by making more problems?

Except for on the most active servers…

Roughly 3,000 player concurrency is what was being observed according to warcraftrealms if you go dig through forum discussions from 2005 over there.

So 3,000 is likely to be the target rather than 2,500 if only because they know community populations are likely to decline over time. So larger populations mean more margin before more drastic measures are needed.

“Proactive” is not screaming “The sky is falling” because an acorn landed on your head.

No, because if they didn’t use Layering, those queues would be have the word “Days” in their time. By the time layering is removed, the population will have decreased dramatically, but some servers like Streamer ones, will be over-represented still.

They want to (and promised they would) get back to a single realm with no layering “within a few weeks” of launch. That may mean a spike of queues on over-populated servers but that’ll be worthwhile to level out the population.

I thought you were mildly entertaining until you used the word Normies.
Then you just became one of THOSE people I generally regard as a waste of time and space.

1 Like

When you’re trying to get it removed before the game has even launched?

Yes.

If it’s still in the game 4 weeks in(I doubt Phase 2 will be until 8 weeks in at the earliest), a lot of us will be right there alongside you in getting it removed. But we’re not there yet.

If they’re managing it well, I think you’ll find layering only lasts about 2 weeks after a realm is launched, if that long.

The only scenario it lasts longer is one in which Classic is far more wildly popular than Blizzard could have imagined in their wildest dreams. Which is likely to mean we’re talking about scenario where there are millions of people still playing classic 3 weeks in. Not a Million, Millions.

1 Like

it’s unrealistic that they will choose to upset the majority of their playerbase by forcing long queues or transfers on people when layers work just fine

scenario 3 : Bilzzard turns layering off and some servers have a queue and others are graveyards and nothing else is done, no new servers, no turning layering back on. Just queues, no queues and Classic. Then as the population further decreases the queues disappear also

1 Like