How is unholy doing in SL?

Started my unholy dk in legion, and loved the smooth gameplay that also felt rewarding if done right. I took a break during bfa, and now returning; I was wondering what changed or if unholy is in a good/fun spot to play in SL. Just starting this expac now, not going super tryhard, just minor catch up until DF releases. Will probably check out pvp a bit.

Fun to play, performs okay

1 Like

It is good in both PVE and PVP. In PVE, it just lacks good AOE damage outside slappy hands (without it you will be at the bottom unless you get RNG for your epidemic), but that is fine as long as your tank pulls correctly.

Good single target with 4p and average to below average AOE. The AOE rotation feels clunky as hell imo, if you want to do keys then frost is significantly better, 2h and dual wield are both viable and have a much smoother rotation.

Single target bosses like slolex in raid unholy is great and feels good when you can focus 1 target.

UH is “ok” - probably middle of the road in pve/pvp. One thing for sure on UH, you need a lot of haste. No haste, super slow and very under performing.

Unholy dominates in PvP.

unholy players dominate in pvp because unholy players tend to just main that 1 spec, the actual spec is so-so, strong against magic, but gets ripped apart by physical so hard you will wonder if you wore mage robes instead of plate.

2 Likes

This ssn is my first ssn playing unholy in rated. So I’m not a unholy main when making my opinion.

Balanced classes should have counters. While I think it can be a little rough with how much DK’s can get smashed by physical, it is indeed a super strong spec in PvP right now. Demo/unholy being one of the strongest comps at the moment.

The only time I think you can say DK in general is so-so for PvP is in 2s. It’s a cheese bracket where overtuned spec’s have a runway at the ladder. - PvP is not tuned around 2s.

Unholy is insanely strong in 3s and DKs do great even in RBGs.

guess what i have been playing this season lol

prelegion it used to be our resources, for example, you could only open with 2 chains, and needed to convert runes to death runes to have more, in legion they changed that to be mobility. and from an RP perspective, the new system is sort of cool, death is inevitable and will come for all living things eventually, so you sort of play that out by trying to stave off death by kiting and keeping away from a dk as best you can, but eventually, death always wins. for a while this meant that the dk was never the kill target, to win the match you killed his team mate.

now you just sort of hit the dk over the head with a shovel and you are fine, no scary moments running away from death.

IMO this has partially to do with our armor scaling, something in the backend code for DK causes us to scale wonky, and given that they normalized armor for this expansion and reset it every season, we end up playing weird were the first few weeks of the season will have us feeling like a clothy and the last few weeks feeling like a plate pseudo-tank, but either way, we are inconsistent and weak to physical when we shouldn’t be. using a post damage dampener like deathstrike is fine, provided you survive the burst, but we don’t always survive it.

Pvp sold
Pve pretty underwhelming