How is the value of a WoW Token determined?

Hi. I play on Velen and I try to get game time through WoW tokens. But I am a little confused - players don’t set the price of WoW tokens, but their value goes up and down. So what determines the value of a WoW Token? Is it the amount of gold currently on a server? Does it go up or down by a certain percentage or amount depending on how long it takes for a WoW Token to sell? Or if it sells?

Please let me know because I am confusled bamboozled.

Supply and demand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

If more people start buying tokens with gold to convert into time or bnet balance, the price in gold will rise (more demand). You can see this happen any time something new comes out on the Blizz store. The most recent spike was in conjunction with “Starcraft Cartooned” being announced.

If fewer people buy tokens with gold to convert, then the price will fall (less demand). As it has over the past week, slowly, since the SC: Cartooned release.

You could also read this as, “If fewer people are buying tokens with real cash to convert into gold, the value will go up,” and “If more people are buying tokens with real cash to convert to gold, the value will go down.”

Same difference.

5 Likes

It was a “soft” setting by Blizzard, just as a determined starting point.

Since then, demand affects the price. So during the heyday, in Legion, it went as high as 250 K or something. That was when I actually bought several. I don’t find it worth it at 100-140 K.

The price is generally lower now, since many other people feel the same way. You had a lot more people buying the token then, as in buying it for 20 bucks to sell. The game’s economy in general was better, with mission board missions for 2500 gold, or so, with the bonus.

So it is one or the other, or both. It is either the amount of people buying them with gold, or the amount paying 20 bucks to sell them (or both.)

1 Like

They have a standart prices then the people whom buy gold determine how much a token is worth. The more people buying the higher the token gets.
It is region-wise all US servers have a value, All Eu have a value and all Chinese have a vlue and so on.

It’s not completely supply and demand. There is a bottom threshold that Blizzard will not allow it to drop below.

1 Like

As others have said, it’s supply and demand. But there are dampers in place to limit how quickly it can fluctuate. Last time there was a spike in price, that damper is a maximum change of 3.03% per hour.

1 Like

I’d also add… if you are auctioning a token you paid cash for the price is locked at the time you post the auction for 2-24 hours, and that the sale is essentially guaranteed.

This means that whether or not the price changed in that 24 hour period you get the price in gold quoted at the time of auction.

It also means that regardless of the actual demand within the 24 hours after you posted, that token will be consumed and gold created - even if no one directly purchased it on the other end.

With that in mind, the “supply and demand” isn’t an instant, true reflection of the current market, but more of a snapshot of likely or inferred demand within that 2-24 hour window - with a guarantee in place to protect the seller from a situation where no one is buying tokens for blizz balance.

tldr -not a true free market supply and demand, but a controlled one with protections in place for the seller, regardless of the actual market.

I imagine there is some sort of equal protection on the buyer side, so that tokens are regularly available, even if none are actually being auctioned by a player on the other side.

You know I thought it would be more when the population goes up and less when it goes down but it doesn’t work that way. There was a time months before new content was coming out and the token price kept going up all the way till it launched. It went from about 111k all the way up to 130k in about two months.

I have absolutely no clue how it works because it seems to be random or it works the inverse of how it should. I just try to buy low and if it goes up I take a break. I make more gold a month then token prices have been but I get tired of it constantly going up when population seems to be going down.

WoW Token Prices = :crazy_face:

The price can move up for seemingly no reason, although it is often because something came out for sale in the shop, and people with a bunch of gold buy tokens with gold to increase their battle.net balance and in turn by something from the shop.