How is survival holding up in raids and mythic+?

How are you guys doing? Kinda interested to try the rare slec

(ilvl 186 atm, mostly farming plaguefall 4-5 with pugs)

I am yet to be 2nd on damage overall. Plenty of tools to get spiders out of stealth too so it’s nice.

If you have wildlife clusters you will explode trash in M+

Our damage is also good for M+ in the melee section due to a lot of stuff being pretty melee unfriendly

I’ve only done 1 boss in the raid and I was 3rd on dps behind a shadow priest and marks hunter so there is also that but I was pretty geared

3 Likes

We’re in a good place. High single target in raids, high AoE for m+.

1 Like

If you look on Warcraft logs the higher the tier you go, the better the spec seems to be performing.

Granted there are not many logs for us. About 5% of that of other specs if I recall right.

In the ‘normal’ tier of the raid we’re looking bad, but in heroic we’re up. I put this down to ‘everybody gets into normal’ eventually.

Personal anecdote:

I’ve yet to do more than one boss.

In the PUGs and guild groups I do I am consistently among the top DPS. Sometimes by as much as double as the next person. Usually it’s me and 1 other person swapping places with every pull. Here I should note I am NOT a DPS player. I’ve been a tank for most of my time in WoW and other MMOs.

I am a DPS in Guild Wars 2, but so is everyone. I’m about midrange there, I don’t stand out either way. It’s possible however that the ‘action combat’ style of play there dramatically improved my situational awareness.

And situational awareness is super vital for Survival Hunter - you’re a hybrid between melee and ranged and the angle you attack from is everything. So you need to be fast about knowing where to go, when, and how - and then actually doing it. Yet you can’t just stay focused on yourself and get ‘tunnel vision’ because that’s how melee become floor tanks.

That said in my opinion this spec is carrying me. But I have yet to be paired with another survival hunter (I’ve not even seen one in game) so I can’t be sure.

2 Likes

Our burst isn’t as strong as MM but our sustain is the best of all 3 specs so in raids you will see the other 2 rocket up then slowly fall below you to your level while you stay consistent.

1 Like

As Nippy said, the wildfire leggos is absolutely amazing in m+. I can keep up with night Fae MM hunters in overall damage with the wildfire+kyrian combo.
and in raids, yes our damage profile (especially with Tip of the Spear, which I highly recommend rn) is VERY consistent and youll usually see most specs jump ahead of u for the first burst phase before slowly climbing up to 1st-3rd by the end of the fight.
the only specs I find I have trouble keeping up with are Balance druids when they pop Convoke, and WW monks, because they’re WW monk. Stick with the spec! we’re on the up and up and I only see it improving for us as the expac goes on.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the feedbackS

This is one spec I have not played at all since release.

As I’m getting bored with the game, this is one spec that may get my interest up againZ

Again, thank you all and off to leveling I go

1 Like

How is Tip of the spear doing? Normally I prefer mongoose bite because seeing how many 5 stack mb I can pull off is exciting but with low haste, getting many of those 5 stack mb is difficult.

1 Like

At the moment tip is better

1 Like

Ya tip is generally going to be better. Bicmex’s PvP guide on YouTube goes over it in detail but basically a single stack of tip ≈ 3 mongoose fury stacks in terms of damage. on patchwork bosses where u can just focus on pumping out ur rotation, mongoose is prob better, but for almost everything else tip is just more consistently good atm.

Tip of the Spear is usually best 1st Raid Tier/Arena Season because haste levels are typically too low to get any benefit from Mongoose Fury windows. And as Waymore pointed out, it’s damage is consistently equivalent to 3 stack Mongoose Bite. Once haste levels increase, Mongoose will reign supreme again.

For PvP, check out Bicmex (EU) - guy is R1 SV arena player and has some R1 Mythic Raid parses as well. He knows his stuff.

3 Likes

Yup for now it seems TOS is the better choice. Which is fine, I have no issue playing TOS but I am hoping that MB will become more viable when you get more haste.

Definitely not

I feel like Im doing very well. I mainly do mythic+. Im 187 with Wildfire clusters. I am often top dmg or Im a close second.

I feel like I do excellent aoe trash dmg and boss single target dmg.

I feel Survival dmg is very consistent meaning pull per pull boss for boss it does the same dmg vs spiking high for a pack then dropping low the next cause CDs are blown. It appears the harder the mobs get the better Im doing. Mainly think its because we dont burst then drop off on dmg. Again its consistent and longer fights befit that.

https://i.redd.it/dysyo6ta6m461.png

Edit: Here are the wowhead ones I’m seeing posted now! Lower on the list, still solid dps:

https://www.wowhead.com/news=319875/analysis-of-shadowlands-dps-after-week-1-of-castle-nathria#screenshots:319875:1

1 Like

Those statistics lack context.

First of all raids are not just singletarget. Survivals aoe is insane. And a good amount of bosses are multi target/aoe fights.

There were only a few sv logs out when the screenshot was taken so the rankings were skewed.

People were also not crafting their legendary back then. While most of those survival hunters parsing already crafted their legendary.

Now that more survival hunters are starting to clear bosses and other specs are starting to also craft their legendary survival is dropping. It is already below average when it was an apparent top dps a few days ago.

This is a screenshot of the same %til right now

U can also check out the simmed sinceltarget dps for every spec on bloodmallet and survival is one of the lowest there as well.

I want to see survival in a decent spot for sl and people saying its singletarget dps is fine because they dont put in enough research are really hurting that case.

I’m also playing it. I am doing well with it firsthand. This seems to be my only recorded log:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/trollbane/blackfang#boss=2383
First time in, learning the fight, not a particularly high ilvl. AoE legendary. Single target fight.