How is Survival after today's (1/10/22) hotfix buffs?

I like your creative ideas for the spec. Further iteration upon them can only improve the gameplay experience issues we collectively face. It’s nice to have other SV Hunters on the forums to brainstorm new ideas with, which is something we didnt have back in my day (15 years ago).

1 Like

Ouch. (10 char)

On a cautionary note: You newer Hunters have nothing to prove to us oldheads like Bepples or myself. This is your era – our time at the forefront has long passed. I can only provide context and further assist in the progressive growth of the class in the foward direction the developers are taking, and get behind (not in front) of new top players like Bicmex who now carry the mantle.

Any posts that are regressive in nature (RSV, etc) should be directed to the corresponding Classic Forum (WotLK) where they belong.

4 Likes

I actually kinda miss that version, if only due to how granularly it allowed Gierskogul to work and how it could reward deeper Skill Speed (Haste) thresholds. The 3-target damage of a 2.33s-GCD DRG was wonderfully cheesy back then.

Some further info for point of comparison...

Well, they could perpetuate it forever. You just didn’t want to, since you’d be wasting the benefit of the CD. You just spent duration (10s at a time, which took ~20s to charge up, since it was draining constantly) in order to use your big oGCD linear AoE, Geirskogul.

The main optimization was to consume 10s worth of duration when you had less than 10s left, and not to drop Blood of the Dragon while any of the skills it affected would be used before BotD itself came back off CD. You’d 20s for free per CD, and 10s per combo-ender, which meant at the typical 2.4s GCD for a closed loop rotation you’d net an extra 10s per 24s. Between that and the CD itself, you could therefore push out three nuke AoEs (Geirskogul) per minute.

• The 2.33s threshold and an even deeper Haste alternative could get far more by maintaining less uptime on Heavy Thrust, the damage buff, but reapplying it before Geirskogul was actually spent.

I could have sworn someone made a suggestion for Mongoose Fury far more similar to the Blood of the Dragon design, wherein one no-CD melee skill might build duration and another spend it, so that a longer damage span wanted more setup, but you were free to just go straight for the big hits, too, if you liked, and there was just a bit of room for cheesy, slightly less obvious optimizations, too…

Will have to see if I can find it or re-imagine out how it must have worked.

2 Likes

It couldn’t possibly be the community’s visceral, abhorrent treatment of anyone playing Survival, a disdain that results in it getting “lol Survival” as that player gets kicked from the group purely based on their spec.

If I was new to a game and was getting consistently kicked from groups and/or getting negative reactions from the community for just playing a certain class/job/etc, one that is entirely fine for 99% of content, I’d stop playing that class/job/etc, too.

When the basic calculus is actually “You can play BM or MM and get invited to content or play SV and get flamed by the community and not invited”, and it’s really not difficult to see why new players wouldn’t be playing Survival.

2 Likes

That’s actually not true at all this season, melee dps are heavily favored this time around and for every 2 mdps, there only needs to be 1 rdps in m+

oh boy im new to this game and I dont know nothing about WoW… EWWW IS THAT A MELEE HUNTER? THAT EXIST IN THIS GAME I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT? I MUST PLAY SOMETHING ELSE BECAUSE THE IDEA OF BEING IN MELEE WITH A PET IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST! oh I know il play this thing called an “Unholy” Death Knight

This is how I imagine you believe people think and its already a Larp

your right, I cant play my warrior because Garrosh and Varian never used bladestorm once. Trash game, 10/10

Every morning you look yourself in the mirror, flex them betty spaghettis arms and come show us whos boss. Dont ever let a “Melee hunter” make sense. You must flex them noodle arms at them so they know their place.

He dodges like a melee player does in combat :wink:

I have never been kicked or not invited just because I play survival so idk why people keep saying this.

2 Likes

Me either, I often get compliments for being SV or at least see people be pleasantly surprised to see SV hunter

Also, been messing with bombadier build and it seems to be performing better & simming better than BoP in m+, anyone else finding this?

3 Likes

Well, outside of the end of Shadowlands, where it was “lol not Survival,” and a quick kick for BM/MM.

Actually, I jest even then.

Even at the start of Shadowlands, I had little trouble PuGing M+ as Survival. Its performance, even during MM’s initial heyday, wasn’t far enough behind that I was ever kicked for being Survival, even if trade chat memes ran aplenty.

• (With one exception, for which I then swapped to an alt, got accepted, and more than doubled their damage despite being lower ilvl than them… and that still being less than my even lower ilvl SV hunter had put out in the same dungeon under similar conditions. There seems to be a decently strong correlation between those hyper-fixated on spec choice and those just effectively wanting a carry.)

I still need a decent SV weapon before it’d be worth simming (0 in 24 tries now for the RLP weapon) for me, but that would make sense. My hope/expectation is that we’ll see BoP still useful for any affixes that want focus fire (say, Raging), while Bombardier is preferable otherwise, especially if one can make good use of WFI.

I definitely think that will be the case. I imagine BoP will still be the play in dungeons like CoS or Azure Vault where the general pack size is low unless you’re in a group on comms that can do sizeable pulls, as well.

Still, bombadier performed really well for me in AA and NO with big target counts, and I can definitely see it being a solid pick in higher keys too as I bring my hunter up, the additonal bomb damage and %increase to serpent sting in the build will be even more noticeable

1 Like

Ever heard of Rexxar one of the best characters in the game?

1 Like

I stopped playing SV in Legion (started in WoD as it was added last patch) because all I got in pugging was, “HAY HUNTAAAAR WHY U NO PLAY MM OR DA BEASSSST MASTA?!” Kick
Then I tried Guilds, and it was better, but I still got asked from guildmates why not play ranged. People can’t seem to understand my enjoyment is different. I was going to main an envoker and I healed for about 8 raids.
But I will be going back to SV hunter and main it. I made a mistake walking away from it in Legion after a year. This thread is helpful thanks everyone.

2 Likes

Yes that one quest giver in Blade’s Edge Mountains really is the most iconic Hunter

1 Like

You guys saying you havent been kicked from keys or harassed for being surv havent done high keys. I dont run into very much. But I run a lot of keys at 16+ range, and it does happen. At low keys, no one cares. Higher up you go, people start to fall in line with “meta” comps. Some are curious as they havent seen a surv, others wont even give you the chance.

End the day, its like I said much earlier in the post, as it stands, our single target is solid, but our aoe is suffering pretty hard atm. Bombs are very underwhelming, even after recent buffs. We are in an iffy spot. I wouldnt say bad, just a soft melee with limited AoE. Also, some of our single is tied to our 4pc, next tier without, could be a problem, our damage spread is a little lopsided into goose.

1 Like

I’ve experienced this a few times: where my ilvl and io gets the invite, but once summoned, and the group leader sees the axe, I get immediately kicked.

I think the problem stems from Blizzard releasing the classes undertuned which inturn leaves a bad first-impression on the remainder of the playerbase for said classes.

I also don’t agree with the removal of Double Tap mid-season. That should have taken place before launch, so as not to create a false sense of security, further alienating faithful players away from the company with it’s removal.

1 Like

Because neither of you are doing challenging PvE content.

I’ve been booted from 16s+ because I’m Survival and they didn’t know when they invited, even when I have 4 piece, bring the only Lust, & have the key timed on 1 level below. I’ve made my own groups, had people join and ask “Survival?” and leave when I said yes. My own groups.

And when I try to join 15-17s on my Frost DK, which is worse than Survival in M+ and less geared? No issues.

And yes, this is obviously anecdotal, but this is across 2 different non-meta specs, in the 13-18 key range, with 390-400 ilvl, and over a 4 week period totaling around 70-80 keys. Just because you haven’t personally experienced it happening doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

1 Like

This is so strange to me. I run plenty of 16+ on my DK, and I’ve seen a handful SV hunter up there, never seen any booted. And I’d never boot one in my own keys either because of its spec.

At 20+? Maybe.

I don’t doubt it, but honestly those people are the highest tier losers, pure sheeple.

Imagine getting that hung up on group comp & meta specs in a +16, lmao

I’d direct every brainwashed loser to someone like Nimze’s vids, who is clearing mythic raid and 20+ keys as SV.

2 Likes

I have done challenging PVE content. The thing you are missing is I dont pug, I actually have a guild and friends I play with. Thats the issue other players are having here, everyone wants the solo experience with an MMO.

I have done hard content and even got keystone master for the luls from people saying this and I did well. Wasnt the bottom of the barrel in dps. You guys just need to get a group of friends in game and alot of these issues would resolve itself. The reason im not doing much atm on my hunter is im filling a tank role on my alliance guild atm until we get a replacement.

oh im sure it does happen. rude players are just the worst part of this game. Gate keeping and elitism is cancerous

3 Likes

Pug-lyfe!

Good point btw.

3 Likes

I will pug if im bored or just killing time for mog. But I could never any other time lol.

Thank you sir

3 Likes