How is Survival after today's (1/10/22) hotfix buffs?

Today’s hotfix gave them:

• Hunter
    • Survival
      • [With weekly restarts] All ability damage and pet damage increased by 2%.
      • [With weekly restarts] Butchery and Carve damage increased by 10%.
      • [With weekly restarts] Fury of the Eagle damage increased by 10%.
      • [With weekly restarts] Wildfire Bomb damage increased by 15%.

Is this enough to make them PvE competitive?

I love the playstyle, but have been learning Marksmanship with my Hunter alt as the difference was just way too severe.

Too early to tell, or any hunter experts just able to look at those buffs and know if they’re good enough or not?

I’m actually having decent fun with Marksmanship, but it’d be nice if Survival became a good as well.

2 Likes

it feels really nice. I will push a key tomorrow and if I remember I will let you know. But as for the target dummy it feels great

4 Likes

It tells me that Hances, Monks, DH’s, DK’s, Warrs, Rogues, Ferals, and Pallies don’t need or want MSV mucking it up.

2 Likes

We get it, you guys are still mad that your auto attack range got trimmed nearly a decade ago, and any spec that doesn’t have ranged auto-attacks is doomed to fail (This only applies to hunter, other melee classes not named “Hunter” can magically work though). You can stop derailing the thread now.

Actually being on topic: I’m a PvPer and not a mythic+ pusher, but from the mythics I have done I could see these buffs putting survival somewhere around middle of the pack. Our AoE was definitely where we fell behind. Our single-target’s competitive, but all of our good AoE buttons have a lengthy cooldown with them, and their damage didn’t reflect those cooldowns. We’ll still have downtime with our AoE, which is bad for pretty much everything that’s not a boss, but a 12%~ buff across the board for them should make our pseudo-burst AoE average out a little better comparatively.

18 Likes

Yeah, that BM & MM players would rather cry for a revert than let the current iteration of Survival be treated fairly.

Oh, and regardless of what anyone else might say, community perception - especially influenced from the high-end raiders & youtubers - plays a huge part. Elemental, Arms (pre-buffs), Feral, non-Arcane Mages, Rets - all of these specs weren’t performing as well as their counterparts and more of the middle-pack DPS, but those raiders & youtubers didn’t consistently talk about how poor those specs are as a whole.

And before Bepples comes and writes their entire dissertation, this whole thing could be fixed by letting Survival be a viable choice, balanced amongst the melee and ignoring how that impacts the ranged Hunter specs, and/or giving it something akin to Windfury Totem (unique utility) as reason to consider bringing Survival.

12 Likes

Ranged survival is the only answer. No one wants msv, and this xpac proves it even further.

14 Likes

Anywho, for people ACTUALLY PLAYING the spec, the buff’s have helped. My ST went up a tick, and the AOE is better. With the buff to bombs, one may consider running the bombardier build for M+ The ability to toss bombs along with the FoE will net you quite a bit of damage for the window. You would get at least 6 bombs if done correctly? This still comes down to grouping of the mobs ect, but it could be interesting to run that build with the bomb damage increase.

I will test more on this as I have a raid tonight, and I will get some M+ in.

15 Likes

No, its not

Wrong

Nice, looking forward to doing some keys this week, got lucky with vault and got best wep from dungeons, but been busy IRL unfortunately

12 Likes

You are wrong.

Clearly you have no clue about what the early developers wanted for the Survival class, or hunters in general.

A person that knows anything about the almost 20 years of this game would accept nothing but the reality that this Melee survival spec is nuts. Not to use a banned word.

People that play Melee survival and actually think this is the way, are like people in relationships that are in denial and when the abuser says they dont deserve anything better they believe.

LISTEN TO ME

You deserve better classes, you deserve better talent trees and mechanics that work.
Lets NOT be the boyfriend/girlfriend that thinks they dont deserve a better partner.

4 Likes

Very much disagree.

Just because you say an opinion, does not make it fact. The idea of a “Hunter” as a concept is incredibly versatile.

No

JFC what a reach. Not even remotely similar, what a wild and incredibly stupid take.

Your opinion is literally worthless

Listen guy, you know nothing about the spec as evidenced by your toon’s spec, gear, and level.

You don’t know the mechanics, you don’t play it.

Every class deserves that attention, its not limited to hunters, lmao.

This is a thread about the buffs to SV, GTFO with this derailing, such moronic activity

13 Likes

listen you little dwarf there’s thousands of hunters unhappy and like just you happy with things lol. clearly u haven’t played the class when it was actually a good class.

my spec? lol its the best spec for my level
my leve? lol you think im buying DF with this garbage class?
my gear? lmao says the ungeared lvl 70 dwarf

your opinion mean nothing to me.

OMG OMG OMG OMG

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT

You got like 8k acehives>!!!

I haven’t played for 3 years and I got 12k

that’s says it all.

go to sleep

EDIT AGAIN

just to be precise so u dont have to make me write again,

I do NOT have 12k achieves, I got 11850

thanks bye

1 Like

Why are you paying a sub to a game you don’t play, lmfao

Woah look out at the hero over here, I made this account coming back for SL. Its a pretty new account, lol.

On that note, wheres your KSM? Mage tower? Anything to show skill? A few pvp achieves… You’re more quantity over substance, guy

Yeah says me, undergeared for now due to IRL things but ilvl will increase, not exactly in a huge rush lmao.

Again, you’re no where near close to be making any kind of argument, at all

3 Likes

yeah look it up dwarf, im gladiator from 2014, and if you want I can show you a lot of elite gear that required 2200 to achieve.

go look it up in my achieves you’ll find my history.

now I could care less when your account is from and what you do with it.

you were the one who started to throw poop on my face saying I was low lvl I had no gear I had random specs, you got what you asked for.

trust me, when it comes to hunter and this game you’re miles behind.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

I just went and spent 700 gold for you

look at my elite gear,
you can’t have that and never will

want me to do it again?

2 Likes

Irrelevant, thats 9 years ago

I did, and I don’t care. Lol, like I said, irrelevant. I have multiple KSM from the last few seasons. Mage tower on 5 classes. Etc etc. Those achievements are also now irrelevant, but show more recent skill than you.

Not when you “haven’t played the game in 3 years”, you’re playing yourself paying for a game you don’t play

Oh and both my enhance sham and DK are nearly 400ilvl playing quite casually before I get time to actually push keys hard and do a few other things.

You are miles behind, and I don’t give a single damn what you say, lol. You are making me laugh though.

Well now, you made time a factor in your original argument, and now you don’t care eh?

Well many people like myself do care about what achieves are worth getting, because alot of them are just fluff with no worth, lol. Just quick dopamine.

Now, kindly get back to the topic or get out, your derailing has gone on long enough

4 Likes

I pay for nothing.
I buy wow token with gold from the game and play for free.

some have that skill

2 Likes

It’s not magic. It’s common sense. Hunters are otherwise an established ranged weapon user so it makes little sense to have a spec that opts out of using it. It provides little to no value to most Hunters. That’s why it’s so chronically underplayed. You can ask Hunters what they think of it, you know.

In my experience high profile WoW players have been very charitable to Survival even if they prefer ranged SV over melee SV. Preach Gaming, for example, tried to give a lot of constructive feedback for melee SV despite wishing they never changed it to melee in the first place.

It’s not the community’s job to tread on eggshells around Blizzard’s horrific handling of this spec.

Nope. It’s a Hunter spec and should be designed as a Hunter spec. No special treatment just to make melee work. Make it ranged instead.

TBH people who like melee SV do think about it in a very different way to people who don’t like it.

For melee SV fans it’s more about their image of what the spec ideally should be or what it represents; especially from a thematic perspective. It kind of makes sense from an RPG perspective to have to rely on melee weapons when enemies come up close. That’s what SV represents to them, and that’s why they see it as resourceful and versatile. You can see it expressed when they say things like “Wouldn’t it be great to have a Hunter spec capable of being both melee and ranged when needed?”

Someone like me relies much more on the in-game reality. We have specs that can fight in both melee and ranged as needed: they’re BM and MM. The in-game reality is that Survival is the only Hunter spec that’s limited by the range on its attacks; not “the most versatile Hunter spec capable of dishing out damage at any range” (that’s the literal not-a-joke description of the spec from wowpedia). I can’t possibly buy into the idea that SV is the versatile and resourceful one because the in-game reality is that it’s a straight-up handicapped version of a Hunter. That’s why Ornskal is up there saying it needs special treatment as a melee spec: it needs compensation for the handicap.

I think there are actually ways to make melee attacks relevant to Hunters. Wing Clip is a good example. Melee Survival isn’t. The melee part is just tacked on as a tokenistic categorical distinction from the other specs, not anything actually meaningful or useful.

7 Likes

Seek help, my man. You are not exhibiting what we’d call “healthy behavior.”

Also, current SV design is rad.

15 Likes

Maybe once they “land the plane”…

4 Likes

Do you even know what that idiom means?

That’s the second time you’ve tried to use it as some sort of ZING insult…

I don’t think it means what you think it means.

Also, you replied in less than a nanosecond. You might want to get some help, too.

4 Likes

It’s more about mocking the idea of being here years later and acting like the direction is fine and the spec is only a couple tweaks away from being perfect.

5 Likes