How is Outlaw feeling?

I am getting a little burned out on playing my shammy 23/7 and looking at outlaw rogue and was wondering how does it feel to play right now? I am not asking for performance, because I can just look that up but more “Is the spec horribly clunky” or is it a fun an intuitive spec to play.

If you have experience playing as a Rogue you can do it. If you do not have experience playing a Rogue you can not do it.

:surfing_woman: :man_surfing:

2 Likes

Funs subjective, intuitive… I wouldnt say outlaw is terribly intuitive to play right now. It has a lot of very specific rules you would not get just looking at its talents/abilities which is what I consider to be intuitive.

That being said, the rotation still has a very good flow and I personally find it to be the most fun version of the spec I’ve experienced. If you enjoy the quick reactive very spammy nature of enhance, outlaw is just that turned up to the extreme.

2 Likes

Having a blast with it. Takes a lot of getting used to though if you’re new to it.

I just wish they’d fix BtE bugging. That is the most tilting garbage ever.

4 Likes

Outlaw feels very bloaty and exhausting when tracking everything. I’m close to getting a burnout, despite liking the pistol gameplay.

1 Like

Click Click…BANG!
Click Click…BANG!
Click Click…BANG!
Click Click…BANG!

So am I a hunter now?! All this time I thought I was a hack and slash Rogue!

5 Likes

Personally I find it to be very fun.
Finally found my main after testing out so many other classes. The utility initially drew me to try Rogue but the RNG nature is what made me love the spec.

I can understand the frustration others might have with your damage being not as reliable compared to other specs/classes but for me (at least the build I’m using) reminds me a lot of Enhancement Shaman with those massive windfury procs from back in TBC. (I only played TBC classic, wasn’t around when it was originally released)

Basically built my character to be a digital slot machine with Between the Eyes having x4 damage when it crits as well as not going on cooldown when used from stealth and a high chance to auto refill spent combo points combined with rapid combo point builders means that every time I enter stealth and press BTE I get a little dopamine hit as seeing how many free full BTEs I can proc in a row with crits.

It is by far not the most effective nor stable build and will not top any DPS meters (unless I get blessed by the Naru for an entire run which is highly unlikely~) but as a casual player it brings me so much more fun than any of the other classes/specs I’ve played at 70.

TL:DR
I’m a filthy casual and I really enjoy the RNG nature it can have. :smiley:

I’m in the process of leveling an Outlaw Rogue at the moment. Some initial thoughts:

1. I don’t have much of any of the mandatory energy regenerative passives or talents yet, so gameplay is SUPER clunky and slow outside of the initial “use Ambush to nearly insta-kill a target from stealth”.
  2. Having utilize combo points and/or energy to upkeep self-buffs that are on the global cooldown yet lack any immediate impact (Slice and Dice, Roll the Bones) feels really bad right now, particularly because I’m energy starved. Blade Flurry almost fits into this camp as well, since it also costs energy.
  3. I just hit level 24 so I can pick-pocket stuff, but I’m currently questing outside of any area that has hostile targets which I can pickpocket. Pick-pocket is one of the big drawing points for me on the rogue class (it’s a gameplay loop no other class gets), so it’s a bit of a bummer that I can’t benefit from it while I quest in certain areas.
  4. From an “RP” perspective (even though I don’t RP), I love the feel of the Rogue. I’ve found a decent transmog to use with it while I level too. I’ve been tempted to switch to a different class several times just because the energy regen is so miserable at lower levels, but I’m hoping it cleans up as I level up.
1 Like

Hi there,

Overall feel good about it, but it can be quite tiring to play and am eyeing some classes that look like they have a lower APM.

PvE: It’s a heavy action per minute heavy class, and when I finish a mythic I sometimes feel more tired than when I go for a 30 minute run, mentally especially. However it does have great variety, flow, and survivability in PvE. I really like the flow in mythic, but less so in raiding, especially encounters with a lot of required AoE avoids.

PvP: There are some things you can ninja in PvP that others without stealth can’t, so I love battlegrounds. In my opinion arena pvp has too many abilities to macro and track to sustain support / cc, but that is this class and the level you need to play at for competative pvp.

Casual content: If you can stop eyeing the hardest content to chase, then wow this class is awesome if not the best for exploring, casual play, questing, and other casual play.

edit - sorry, posted as my priest, I play as Swifttiger-Korgath. Hope this info is helpful.

1 Like

Hang in there, I promise you energy management gets way better~! Almost to the point of non-existent imo. (depends on your chosen talents of course)

I can safely say I’m never waiting on energy to do anything now at 70. Feels radically different compared to being energy starved during the lvling process.

Wondering if Blizz should just take one of those energy talents and make it baseline to the spec at lvl.10 because you’ll go from famine to feast so quickly with not a lot of lvls in the middle of the two.

1 Like

I switched from outlaw to sin because outlaw became too complicated with the burst damage for me. Every time I try and go back now it’s a 20 to 50k dps loss and the slice and dice situation makes me twitch. But I feel faster and less energy starved. However my range is less and I miss dagger fart. But sin is super squishy atm.

Not sure if I will go back to outlaw or not. At this point it’s no longer my choice, it’s in the hands of how Blizzard messes with things. That makes me sad that some executives mood swings determine my fun.

2 Likes

It is, without a doubt, one of the most fun experiences I’ve had as a rogue.

I’m returning to the game, I was very decent as combat for a while - some may have even watched it! Stopped rogue for everything else but coming back I enjoy it even without KS.

It can be a little frustrating. You dice roll every opener but if you adjust to that and expect to fail magic happens when it doesn’t. It’s very powerful but not always guaranteed OP. Might need a little tweaking. I have demon hunters (AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHAHAHAHA) getting frisky with me in-chat over my ‘broken class’ before they flop.

I notice that when I’m clogged for energy or dice I truly did something stupid. If you mess it up even a tiny bit you’re toasted.

Couple of problems.

Could be an exceptional spec if they fix these problems.

1: Between the eyes cd should be reset when entering stealth with crackshot talented

2: Dreadblades removal was a mistake, bring it back, but it’s a passive and works when you activate adrenaline rush. 2 things they could do, either it doubles the effectiveness of your next 4/5 combo point spenders, cp included, so if you spend 7 it counts as 14. Or, it makes your next 4/5 sinister strikes fill your combo points. Why sinister strike specifically? Because it’s wasted on ambush with hidden opportunity. Assigning the proc to sinister strike ensures that you get the maximum value out of it.

3: Count the odds was overnerfed. It’s fine right now with the tier set, but won’t be when we don’t have it. Buff the proc rate, remove the stealth interaction, or remove the stealth duration interaction at least. So 10 seconds base, 20% proc chance. Or 10 second base, 15% proc chance doubled in stealth to 30%, but duration always 10 seconds, basically count the odds needs to proc at least somewhat reliably, and right now, it doesn’t. There are so many situation where i get ambush, hidden opportunity etc, and not a single count the odds procs.

4: Opportunity proc rate is too low, 35% is not enough, bump this up to at least 40/45% even 50% base, also bring back hidden opportunity to 100%.

5: Remove slice and dice, for all 3 rogue specs, make it a passive, or re adjust procs, energy regen etc. Slice and dice is simply not an enjoyable aspect of rogue.

And that should be it, the rest is fine. Has the potential to become really fun, but they need to fix these issues. Especially the problems with the crackshot window, outlaw is unplayable without a weak aura to track it’s duration, this is a problem, because making a mistake is easy and especially punishing.

At this moment, outlaw is complex, not in a good way, therefore not particularly enjoyable, but the potential is there, and they just need to fix a couple of things, and then, it will be excellent.

1 Like

No not a hunter because rogues have good mogs

On point 1 they should have done that but chose not to for whatever reason.

On point 2 I am inclined to agree that removing DB was a mistake. All they had to do is take it off of CDR or even change how it delivered damage to make it balanced. This would have also opened up more build possibilities outside of Dance builds.

On point 3 I agree as well here because CTO is the only way to really salvage how poor RTB still functions in this game. But BlizZard just can’t help it with the RNG on top of the RNG.

Which leads to point 4 and the RNG of Opportunity procs being low makes the RNG of the spec even worse. There is a reason why it was always close to 40-50% for a Opportunity procs with or without talents since it was introduced in Legion. That is why the spec is also start to become starved for energy.

On point 5. Removing SND while RTB exists in its current state will make things worse IMO. The problem is having to juggle both is still a hot topic with the community. BlizZard should have done some quality of life improvements to SND and RTB. SND could use more QoL improvements while RTB should have had Loaded Dice and/or CTO baseline a long time ago.

There is another point and that being that Outlaw has lost its identity. Acrobatic Strikes is now part of the general tree. CDR on Blind doesn’t mean anything when CDR exists for Blind in the form of IS that Sub has access to. Sub has access to a lot of CDR and that point might well allow Assassination to have some CDER mechanics too. Kspree has no mechanical ties to the spec currently and it is completely decoupled with how it works because there is no synergy between Kspree and how Outlaw functions in DF.

The only thing you can say Outlaw has that is very unique is Grappling Hook but that is like saying Assassination is unique by having an extra poison. In other words Outlaw and Assassination need to have their respective spec fantasies a little more fleshed out. Assassination needs more spec specific survivability talents while Outlaw needs to have more unique tools beyond just Grappling Hook.

Outlaw “new identity” is stealing Sub’s identity by using Shadow Dance for its core which is not sustainable long term and will create great conflict with TWW.

AR being turned into a feast or famine mechanic also undermines Outlaw identity.

:man_surfing: :surfing_woman: